Thread: Looking for a mandolinist

Default Looking for a mandolinist

Hi everybody!

My bluegrass band played its first paying gig recently. We already have a banjo, guitar, and bass, but it’d be great to have a mandolinist also (vocals is a plus too). We’re located in Midwest Georgia. Is anyone interested?

Thanks,
    Jeff

Blog Entries

Default Re: Looking for a mandolinist

I’m a little far north (Chattanooga) but depending on what your goals as a band are, I could be interested! My band recently announced a hiatus.

Move the band to Florida and you're on.

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Define Midwest Ga a little bit... I'm not advocating for myself as I can't (I'm in Marietta) but I'm sure folks might like to know whereabouts you're looking?

Carrollton, Newnan, Lagrange?

There's a BG Jam in Marietta on the Square (at the Australian Bakery) every Tuesday night. If it's not too far of a haul, y'all should come. There are quite a few SEBA (South Eastern Bluegrass Assoc.) folks who come and it would be a great place to network!
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by soliver View Post
    Define Midwest Ga a little bit... I'm not advocating for myself as I can't (I'm in Marietta) but I'm sure folks might like to know whereabouts you're looking?

Carrollton, Newnan, Lagrange?

There's a BG Jam in Marietta on the Square (at the Australian Bakery) every Tuesday night. If it's not too far of a haul, y'all should come. There are quite a few SEBA (South Eastern Bluegrass Assoc.) folks who come and it would be a great place to network!
    We’re all kinda spread out around the West GA area. I’m in Harris County right above Columbus, and the two other guys are in Americus and Albany.

Thanks for the invitation, we’ll have to check that out! Sounds like a good time!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Streip View Post
    I’m a little far north (Chattanooga) but depending on what your goals as a band are, I could be interested! My band recently announced a hiatus.
    My goals are a bit higher than those of the other members! I’m trying to make a career of music, but I’m not sure exactly how serious the others are about going professional.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Gies View Post
    Move the band to Florida and you're on.
    Might just take you up on that!! I could use a change of scenery!

Don't take common goals lightly. Your venture will be short lived if you are far more serious than everyone else in the band. You'll be frustrated in the end. This is probably the hardest issue to resolve.

I played rock for decades with the same group of really good musicians who all had families and really good day jobs. We had a common goal of striving to be really good. Our practices were disciplined and productive. We only took fun gigs. This commonality of purpose is the main thing that makes it work.

Now I'm trying to find a group of older musicians to do the same concept, play seriously and work to get better. But my chances of finding three or four others that can write, sing, play multiple instruments, and devote some time, oh, and can stay up past 9PM, is probably not going to happen.

It's being on the same page that keeps bands together.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

8. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

I'm over in Auburn, AL if you guys ever want to get together. I can cover the Mandolin, but I add no vocals unfortunately. I'm not sure how busy y'all are aiming to be, but if nothing else I could fill in as y'all need.