Thread: 2 way truss rod for a mandola

Default 2 way truss rod for a mandola

Would it be OK to use a 2 way truss rod for a mandola neck?
    Does the nut have to go to the bottom of the slot?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB2B6C91-DCE7-436F-BCB6-8176C4B9DB22.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	206.5 KB 
ID:	177794  

Default Re: 2 way truss rod for a mandola

Not sure what you mean by "the nut". The flat bar stock part faces up towards the fingerboard, often with a shallow filler strip glued in over the top. I think a 2-way truss rod is a good idea. I've found that with some of my builds, I end up having the truss rod just barely engaged so the nut doesn't rattle in order to get a small amount of relief. The 2-way allows you to dial in relief on a neck that wants to stay flat or has a back bow from being refretted. Probably a good idea for a mandola to avoid fret buzz.

3. The following members say thank you to Rob Roy for this post:

Lappy 

Thanks for your help Rob. I appreciate it.

Overkill and a massive weight compromise.

A single action rod is two way if you simply install it, tighten a half turn, and then level the neck again before installing the fingerboard....

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by grandcanyonminstrel View Post
    Overkill and a massive weight compromise.

A single action rod is two way if you simply install it, tighten a half turn, and then level the neck again before installing the fingerboard....
    Agree. That is my stanard procedure for mandolins and I often do it on refrets (or few times even on just levelling) when I feel the neck could use some extra forward curvature but is too stiff.

But if you really want to use it and it really is two way rod you can install it any way you want. Just keep in mind acces for the nut on headstock - that may dictate to install with nut down so you can have standard looking truss rod pocket... With nut up you may need the pocket too close to nut an will be forced to use 3-screw cover.
    Adrian

Two-way trussrods are an insurance policy just in case the wood of your neck decides to warp in an uncooperative way. There are a few things that can wrong during a build that a two-way trussrod can address. I think they just improve the likelihood of success.

The nut should be installed on the down side -- that is the intent. But it will work either way. If you install it backwards, it will operate in reverse. 99% of all stringed instruments with a trussrod remove relief while turning a trussrod clockwise. The only problem with installing it backwards is that it will confuse a guitar tech for a few minutes or more if they don't know in advance that the trussrod works in reverse. Been there --got confused for longer than I want to admit. We have a Jr High School with a guitar making class and I get a few of these instruments to refine every year.