Thread: Renfro Valley Barn Dance Crew

Default Renfro Valley Barn Dance Crew

I tried to find a larger copy of this image. I was pretty excited to see the two guys sitting on the floor on the left of the picture. I've never seen their pictures when they were that young.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0057.JPG 
Views:	258 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	177793  
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

Default Re: Renfro Valley Barn Dance Crew

How cool is that! Good find!

4. The following members say thank you to NursingDaBlues for this post:

===========

Absolutely classic - THANKS for sharing!

That is a cool photo. According to Wikipedia:
    Renfro Valley Barn Dance was an American country music stage and radio show originally carried by WLW-AM in Cincinnati, Ohio on Saturday nights. It debuted on October 9, 1937 from the Cincinnati Music Hall and moved to the Memorial Auditorium in Dayton, Ohio. It was hosted by John Lair, Red Foley, Cotton Foley, and Whitey Ford.

The show later moved to larger quarters near Mt. Vernon, Kentucky in November 1939 and was carried by WHAS-AM in Louisville, the NBC Radio Network and WCKY-AM in Cincinnati.

The program is no longer broadcast, but a live show bearing its name takes place on Saturday nights at the Renfro Valley Entertainment Center in Renfro Valley, Kentucky. A sister program, the Renfro Valley Gatherin' (established in 1943), continues to air.

PBS did a documentary series on American Roots Music called "In the Valley Where Time Stands Still", which is a film about the history of the Renfro Valley Barn Dance.
    I wonder if the current Renfro Barn Dance organziation might have a larger copy of that photo or maybe the Country Music Hall of Fame?

And from Homer and Jethro's Wikipedia page:
    In 1939 they became regulars on the Renfro Valley Barn Dance radio program in Renfro Valley, Kentucky.
    Here is a promo photo probably from about the same time (from Country Music Hall of Fame). Same haircuts and outfits.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Homer_and_Jethro.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	177810
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

How tall is the woman on the extreme right? Does anyone recognise her?

Quote Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
    How tall is the woman on the extreme right? Does anyone recognise her?
    I enlarged the picture to read the names of the last two people in the second row -- Shorty Hobbs and Eller. I then googled that and found they performed as Roy Shorty Hobbs and Little Eller Long. It listed her height as 6'5"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    That is a cool photo. According to Wikipedia:

I wonder if the current Renfro Barn Dance organziation might have a larger copy of that photo or maybe the Country Music Hall of Fame?

And from Homer and Jethro's Wikipedia page:

Here is a promo photo probably from about the same time (from Country Music Hall of Fame). Same haircuts and outfits.

Name:	Homer_and_Jethro.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	177810
    I think they are even younger in the Renfro picture. I was all over the Renfro site looking for a larger copy. If it was there it eluded me.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    I think they are even younger in the Renfro picture. I was all over the Renfro site looking for a larger copy. If it was there it eluded me.
    Well, someone there has a the original I would think. Have you tried contacting them? I will bet that that was from some sort of promotional brochure or booklet.

I did find another scan at the HSGA page featuring Jerry Byrd. That one is even smaller and washed out but has the year 1940. Maybe HSGA has a source for it?

Name:	Renfro-Valley-Barn-Dance-cast-Jerry-Byrd-3rd-from-right-end-back-row.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	177829

One other possible source might be the Berea College archives. They have a whole collection of ephemera on the Renfro Valley Barn Dance. I just tried this search result but there might be other possibilities.
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Jun-23-2019 at 2:24pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1