Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gypsy jazz tenor guitar at modest price point

Default Gypsy jazz tenor guitar at modest price point

All...I did due diligence as best I could to see if there was a thread on this subject but couldn’t find anything. If I missed it please forgive me.

I’m interested in picking up a gypsy jazz tenor guitar but am unable to shell out the $5000+ required to get a respected luthier to build me one.

It seems like this is something Saga Instruments would have picked up but apparently not. I’m wondering if anyone has any info on a source that I may have missed. There is an impressive list of luthiers to build one but - as I said - they’re pretty pricey.

Thanks, in advance, for whatever help you can give me.

Charles

Default Re: Gypsy jazz tenor guitar at modest price point

That is a tough one, as good sounding Django/Gypsy style instruments tend to be quite expensive.
    I have searched for an affordable Gypsy Jazz six string guitar, but I have found they are always lacking in tone.
    The good ones are just very expensive.

As for a tenor, I would just go find an affordable tenor that sounds good to you and go with that.
    I have played several Blueridge tenors that were surprisingly good.
    They played nicely and sounded great.
    Just a thought.
    Mandolins: Northfield 5-Bar Artist Model "Old Dog", J Bovier F5 Special, Gibson A-00 (1940)
    Fiddles: 1920s Strad copy, 1930s Strad copy, Liu Xi T20, Liu Xi T19+ Dark.
    Guitars: Taylor 514c (1995), Gibson Southern Jumbo (1940s), Gibson L-48 (1940s), Les Paul Custom (1978), Fender Strat (Black/RWFB) (1984), Fender Strat (Candy Apple Red/MFB) (1985).
    Sitars: Hiren Roy KP (1980s), Naskar (1970s), Naskar (1960s).
    Misc: 8 Course Lute (L.K.Brown)

I know Paul Lestock (https://www.facebook.com/ArrowGuitars/) can do it...

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

You could look at converting a six string or getting someone to convert it for you.
    New neck, re shaped bracing and perhaps re sanding the top, not cheap but a lot less than 5k .

Harley Marty

I've heard that Blackbird make a composite 6 string that has a good gypsy jazz sound! I think it's their Savoy model. They may well build you one as a tenor, & it could work out both cheaper & superior to a luthier built gypsy Tenor.

8. The following members say thank you to bruce.b for this post:

Harley Marty

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0695.JPG 
Views:	206 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	177797Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0696.JPG 
Views:	220 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	177796Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0697.JPG 
Views:	185 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	177798
    Here is a way of getting a tenor from a 6 string on a budget! The string routing over the bridge saddle keeps the intonation correct for the larger steps in the string gauges required for 5ths tuning & also keeps the tension more balanced on the neck. The Webster nut is not necessary but handy if you want to lower the strings onto the 1st fret to shorten the scale without the hassle of a capo (Sometimes I just saw cut the nut grooves).

If I was considering a Rainbird Savoy I'd be inclined to just order a standard guitar zero fretted at the 1st fret with the saddle set for 5ths tuning. Take off the two lower tuning pegs& leave the bottom string slots blank. It would look unusual but play & sound perfectly well, & I'd have a nice sounding maintenance free gypsy jazz tenor for a couple of thousand less!

for experiment I had taken a triple 000 guitar once and restrung it for fifths tuning. worked out pretty well. My thought was if I liked it to turn one of my guitars with a real narrow neck and then refit a nut to spread the 4 strings evenly. It would then be a wide nut tenor. I think it would have worked well. (Might also have to fill and redrill holes in the bridge too) Anyway, mine worked great for trying it out. To keep the high string from breaking I put together a custom set that tuned it all down a bit lower then put a capo on it at the third fret, I believe, to get into the common range. In the end I didn't make the retro fit on my more expensive narrow nut guitar. Decided to leave well enough alone there..

btw, that earnest instrument gypsy tenor looks sweet!

Another option is to consider a regular jazz style tenor guitar, I've seen some gypsy players also use a regular jazz guitar to play gypsy jazz and it comes off pretty well.

Harley Marty

Name:	IMG_0699.JPG 
Views:	167 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	177849Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0698.JPG 
Views:	180 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	177847Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0700.JPG 
Views:	165 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	177848

Reso guitars also work for some jazz styles. Above is a b-stock I got from Thomann a while ago. It's scaled at 24" which could be a stretch for gypsy music. It's easy work to space the strings over the bridge to get the intonation right. (I use light gauge Irish tenor banjo strings GDAE). This guitar sounds well for practicing but it is totally lacking in a pub session acoustically. A mighty guitar plugged in with both a piezo & humbucker! It could be a poor mans pretend gypsy jazz guitar, maybe?

Blog Entries

Love it. Gypsy jazz tenor guitar... for the one tenth of one percent of us that this appeals to, ME included. This is not affordable by the the OP's definition but check this baby out. Guy I play in a GJ band with sent this over. I told him "don't do that, I'm a weak person."

Circa 1940's Antone di Mauro tenor.

http://gypsyguitars.com/inventory/instruments/396

Name:  1771.jpg
Views: 1553
Size:  335.1 KB

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

This photo was taken from my copy of "The Story of Selmer Maccaferri Guitars" by Francois Charle. I was one of the first to order a David Hodson "Djangolin" back in the day. And, if he were still around, I'd have him build me a SelMac Tenor similar to this but, sadly, I missed that opportunity.

Name:	SelmerTenor.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	584.7 KB 
ID:	177852
    Play that which you feel is groovy, get down with your bad self, and shake your money maker if it makes sense for you to do so.

- - - Updated - - -

All ... thank you so much for providing helpful information. I hadn’t remembered Earnest Instruments until Bruce.b mentioned them. That is probably the most cost / effective boutique option. I will be in Astoria, Oregon, for the 10th annual tenor guitar gathering. I’m thinking of crossing into Canada and stopping at Shelley Park’s shop in North Vancouver to see her work. The price of admission for an instrument made by Shelley is $5,000 + $500 for the tenor option. Beautiful stuff in the pictures. I’m sure it’s just as nice in the flesh. Unfortunately it appears that if I want a good instrument I may need to pay the price for a good instrument. It’s a cruel world. Thanks, again.

I’m surprised its as high as 0.01%. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    Love it. Gypsy jazz tenor guitar... for the one tenth of one percent of us that this appeals to, ME included. This is not affordable by the the OP's definition but check this baby out. Guy I play in a GJ band with sent this over. I told him "don't do that, I'm a weak person."

Circa 1940's Antone di Mauro tenor.

http://gypsyguitars.com/inventory/instruments/396

Name:  1771.jpg
Views: 1553
Size:  335.1 KB

I am an unabashed non-recovering reso-holic and my next tenor will likely be one of the new Nationals:
    https://www.nationalguitars.com/triolian-tenor
    Play that which you feel is groovy, get down with your bad self, and shake your money maker if it makes sense for you to do so.

Harley Marty

@ Scotter is that a tri-cone tenor or single? It looks a single it the photo I’m getting up on my phone.

I have three reso’s, the one above, a Harley Benton reso-bass & a Soares. All tuned GDAE. For my next reso I’m thinking Beltona custom built tenor

Quote Originally Posted by celticsapper View Post
    - - - Updated - - -
    All ... thank you so much for providing helpful information. I hadn’t remembered Earnest Instruments until Bruce.b mentioned them. That is probably the most cost / effective boutique option.
    That back pictured on that Earnest page is my Selma Tenor. A great sounding one, too. The other tenor is one Joel made for Eddy Davis.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Marty View Post
    @ Scotter is that a tri-cone tenor or single? It looks a single it the photo I’m getting up on my phone.

I have three reso’s, the one above, a Harley Benton reso-bass & a Soares. All tuned GDAE. For my next reso I’m thinking Beltona custom built tenor
    It's a single cone. I don't think NR-P currently makes a tri-cone tenor. I too have three resos currently: 1931 National Duolian Guitar, a 1997 NR-P Style 1 Tricone Guitar and a Beltona Blue Soprano Reso-uke (#22).

I like the way you think. I love the fiberglass offerings by Beltona and would definitely consider a Tenor version.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotter View Post
    I am an unabashed non-recovering reso-holic and my next tenor will likely be one of the new Nationals:
    https://www.nationalguitars.com/triolian-tenor
    I am a hair’s breadth from ordering a custom National tenor. Shannon has my specs on a post-it note above her desk. Just biding my time to make sure I really know what I want. I really want both the National and the Selmer but ... alas ...

Jim, so you have an Earnest Selma tenor? Can you comment for me on the build quality and the sound? Playability? .

Quote Originally Posted by celticsapper View Post
    Jim, so you have an Earnest Selma tenor? Can you comment for me on the build quality and the sound? Playability? .
    Very high build quality and I love the sound. Joel plays tenor (among other things) so he knows what he likes and does a great job. He also believes that the bodies of tenors should be proportional to the range of the instruments. I think in the past, makers would just put a tenor neck on a guitar body, esp the archtops. I currently have it tuned to octave tuning and may have to work with the gauges to get it optimum but it sounds great with the strings I have on it.

What type(s) of music will you play on this? Looking at your name I might guess ITM but you could also be a fan of an athletic team from Boston.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Harley Marty

I would still like to hear the opinion of an experienced hand at gypsy jazz playing on the sound of the Rainbird ekoa guitar. I heard a clip of a fella playing GJ on it (i think it was the savoy). It got me thinking!

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Marty View Post
    I would still like to hear the opinion of an experienced hand at gypsy jazz playing on the sound of the Rainbird ekoa guitar. I heard a clip of a fella playing GJ on it (i think it was the savoy). It got me thinking!
    I never heard of Rainbird. I think ekoa is proprietary to Blackbird Guitars and they make two guitar models using that material and some ukes. Unless this is a new product by Blackbird. Do you have a link to this guitar? Is it a tenor or a six string?

Oops! I see you mentioned the Savoy. It is a Blackbird. I think you were confusing the name of the company with Rainsong another CF guitar maker.

I know this doesn’t answer your question but I did play the first ekoa uke and it sounded incredible.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

26. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Harley Marty

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I never heard of Rainbird. I think ekoa is proprietary to Blackbird Guitars and they make two guitar models using that material and some ukes. Unless this is a new product by Blackbird. Do you have a link to this guitar? Is it a tenor or a six string?

Oops! I see you mentioned the Savoy. It is a Blackbird. I think you were confusing the name of the company with Rainsong another CF guitar maker.

I know this doesn’t answer your question but I did play the first ekoa uke and it sounded incredible.

Yes I seen/heard a clip somewhere of the Savoy playing GJ that grabbed my attention! It may have been their own promotional material. Self praise can be an exaggeration of course so l'm just wondering if they could sound the real deal with the right set-up. They should have the volume of sound, I like the portholes on the side & headstock but they work out pricey when An Post take their import fees. I have a few thousand € deposit on an Emerald custom Tenor so we'll see how that sounds with all the different string combinations first!

Back in 2008 I did a neck conversion on a plastic Maccaferri guitar and it turned pretty well....

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...r-a-maccaferri
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

29. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post: