Thread: Replacing the Tailpiece on my Flatiron (would like original)

Default Replacing the Tailpiece on my Flatiron (would like original)

Hi there,
    Did a search and while there are others looking for tailpieces, I didn't see one that specifically address my questions.

I have a Flatiron Mandolin: Festival F (or maybe E)made by Flatiron Madonlin and Banjo Co (which I believe was bought by Gibson). It's a performer series purchased in the 80's and the tailpiece is tearing (the metal itself). I would love to get a replacement that's original but not sure where to find one and thought I would try here. If no original is to be found, is there one that would let me use the my original cover piece with the new tailpiece hardware (I might not be using the terms correctly here...sorry)?

Also, if I do get one, it's it pretty easy to swap them out myself or should I spend the extra $ and have someone do it?

I've attached a couple photos:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0960.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	177769Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0961.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	177770Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1120.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	177771Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1121.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	177772

Default Re: Replacing the Tailpiece on my Flatiron (would like original)

You may have some luck by placing a want ad in the classifieds, and by also reaching out to larger volume stores that do lots of mandolin work. Like Carter’s, Gruhn’s, Elderly, Gryphon, Fiddler’s Green, TMS, etc. Lots of folks change to a James (or other such tailpiece), so there may well be an original Flatiron one sitting in a parts box in a shop or music room someone would sell or even possibly give you. If you don’t have any luck, I really like the James tailpiece on my Skip Kelley A5, or check Stew Mac for a replacement. If the holes line up the replacement is a matter of taking out the screws, changing out the TP, and then reinserting the screws. If the holes don’t line up most people will fill the old holes (with hardwood toothpicks) and drill the new ones. Whether you’re comfortable trying that is completely up to you. On my inexpensive mandolins I’ll try all sorts of stuff that I’ll probably never consider doing to the Kelley. There’s also a wealth of information at frets.com (Frank Ford’s site), and I haven’t searched it, but I’d be shocked if there’s not a YouTube or Stew Mac how to video out there.

Good luck! Sweet mando there, keep it making music!!
    Chuck

That's a very well loved mandolin. Could you get a clear photo of the label inside the F-Hole for dating?

I would be surprised if a standard stewmac nickel tailpiece would not work for this. You could very likely use the base of the new tailpiece and keep your original cover:

https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and...Tailpiece.html
    Scott R.
    -
    2019 Ellis F5 Special #464 - Facebook Build
    2017 Pava A5 Pro - Autumn Burst
    1987 Flatiron F5 Artist

Want to list your instruments with galleries in your signature?
    Check out RuttList Instrument Archive to create your own galleries for free.

If it was me I would use the Greg Boyd Prucha tailpiece. There's a good chance your cover will fit this base.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

5. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

I would listen to Mike
    Scott R.
    -
    1987 Flatiron F5 Artist

I agree with Scott. I had Randy Wood replace the base on my '84 Flatiron F5, retaining the original engraved cover plate. Randy said that the original was an inexpensive grade of stamped steel, and that the new one he installed (from Allparts) was stronger and made of stainless steel.

For what it is worth, I have a James tailpiece on my 80's era Carlson signed Flatiron, and I love it.
    Scott R.
    -
    1987 Flatiron F5 Artist

I actually found an original document for it. The serial is 9108556 and it's a Festival F (or maybe E).

And thanks for all the replies!

Blog Entries

It was not replacement of the Flatrion's.
    I've replace the tailpiece for my Unicorn Mandolin few month ago.
    I had heard that Prucha's are better than other retro style pressed tailpieces. So Was looking for it to some online stores.
    First Quality Music was the better price. Screw holes was same dimention as no modification, But did not fit the cover, It needed to bending the sides of cover.
    https://www.firstqualitymusic.com/pr...-nickel-plated
    2021 Acoustic World (Takeshi Iwamoto) A5 Black face
    2018 Gibson F5 Fern

What a gorgeous mandolin! It looks to be in excellent condition and I bet it sounds terrific too! If you want to stay traditional, then I would go with a higher quality stamped stainless version like the Prucha. I have to confess to being frustrated with the traditional stamped steel version. The covers tend to either rattle, buzz, or come off easily or if adjusted to stay snug, require sliding them on with a fair amount of force. The covers have sharp corners and tarnish or corrode quickly. Then there's sympathetic harmonic vibrations that need to be dampened. I put an Allen on one of my mando's (similar to what Collings uses). It has it's own challenges in stringing and is definitely contemporary looking, but is rock solid and weathers well. My last build came out awesome enough that I sprung for a James and absolutely love it. If you change strings very often (who doesn't) it makes it an absolute breeze. The machining is flawless and there is O-ring dampening built right in. Several of the top drawer builders now outfit their mandos stock with the James tailpiece. It's pricey, but considering it's designed and built in America, it's worth it IMO. Nice mando, play it in good health.

if I'm not mistaken, didn't Prucha make some items like this for Gibson at one time?
    just a thought I wanted to confirm.

d

Quote Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
    if I'm not mistaken, didn't Prucha make some items like this for Gibson at one time?
    just a thought I wanted to confirm.

d
    Yes.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber