Thread: Conway wooden plectrum

Default Conway wooden plectrum

I know wooden picks tend to get a bad rep around here, but I said I'd reserve judgement until I got to play one. A friend of mine had some lumber to spare and made plectrums out of ringed gidgee (acacia cambagei). He asked me if I wanted one and I said hell yeah. It was a very nice gesture.

This lends itself so well to the percussive Cretan tone I was going for. From what I had read, I was expecting a brittle or a tinny sound. Or excessive pick noises. Cannot complain about any of that. I do like thicker plectrums, as I like to really dig into the strings. My favorites are Dunlop Tortex and Gator Grip, anything around and way north of 1.0mm. This one's over 1.5mm, don't have the calipers near right now. I understand that wooden picks are not for everyone, but this is the loudest plectrum I have ever played, for lack of better wording. And a very responsive one, too. I don't know whether the species of wood used would make a dramatic difference, as I never got to try one until recently. Will it replace my beloved Dunlops for good? No. But I am very pleasantly surprised. I did not yet try it much for guitar or bouzouki, but on mandolin, I am now a fan.

If it's okay to share social media handles, the plectrum came from here.
    My YouTube channel. My tabs and video lessons on Ultimate Guitar and GuitarTabsExplorer.

Default Re: Conway wooden plectrum

My wife bought me a couple of wood picks for either my Birthday or Christmas, don't remember which, they have been in the bag since I put them back in. They looked great but the way they slid off the strings really bugged me, really raspy feeling. How do these feel? I think half the reason I love the BC picks is because of the rigidity and a lot is because of the way they glide off the strings. I find myself judging all others by that feel.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

I got given one once and I liked it. It's a backup of I've no primetone on me I guess. I liked the lack of flexibility actually!
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

Quote Originally Posted by John Bertotti View Post
    My wife bought me a couple of wood picks for either my Birthday or Christmas, don't remember which, they have been in the bag since I put them back in. They looked great but the way they slid off the strings really bugged me, really raspy feeling. How do these feel? I think half the reason I love the BC picks is because of the rigidity and a lot is because of the way they glide off the strings. I find myself judging all others by that feel.
    It feels very solid. Might be because it's so thick, that it doesn't slip off the strings? Like I said, I never tried a thinner wooden plectrum before. The pick is quite smooth, too. Not a coarse grain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Badgers View Post
    I got given one once and I liked it. It's a backup of I've no primetone on me I guess. I liked the lack of flexibility actually!
    What I am most excited about, is to see how long it will actually last before I would first file it and later, if it cannot be salvaged anymore, put it aside and keep it as a token. Phil has played his for around six months now, he said. And yeah, the tremolo is mean on it.
    My YouTube channel. My tabs and video lessons on Ultimate Guitar and GuitarTabsExplorer.

5. The following members say thank you to Apollonia93 for this post: