Thread: Stolen - Weber Fern A-style - Oakland, CA

Default Stolen - Weber Fern A-style - Oakland, CA

Hey Everyone,

My Mandolin was stolen in a burglary from my house in Oakland yesterday. I'm posting here in the hopes that if it shows up you can let me know, it's a close community of players and I don't know how the thief plans to sell it for anywhere near it's actual value. I submitted a police report with Oakland PD and will be checking local stores and Craigslist/Reverb. If anyone has any other ideas on how to track it down please let me know!

It's a 2015 Weber Fern A style, Desert Dawn (orange sunburst) with LR Baggs pickup and a Tone-Gard with a CT55 blue chip in a black gig back. Pictures attached. SN: 15299706 signed by Bruce Weber.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mandolin Label.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	177720   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0332.JPG 
Views:	186 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	177721  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LindyHopper For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Stolen - Weber Fern A-style - Oakland, CA

Sorry to hear this - break-ins suck! If you're not already doing so, make sure to post this in the classifieds as well under the "Lost and Stolen instruments" section. If the thieves don't really know what they have this might show up at a flea market this weekend (like the one down in San Jose or Laney Flea Market in Oakland if it's still going).
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Blog Entries

So, so sorry Lindy! That is a terrible thing to happen. I will watch in So Cal to see if it shows up anywhere.

At 20 yrs old in 1975 I had three guitars stolen from my apartment, including my 1970 D35 Martin. I know the feeling and it is such a violation of your privacy and such a great loss of a wonderful mandolin. You don't deserve this horrible experience. Best to you as you work through it. Dan

Blog Entries

If you post this in the Classifieds under the Lost/Stolen category it'll get 100 times the viewers. We've set up some special tools to disperse those notices specifically more widely across the site and on social media.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Oops, forgot about that. Done! Thanks.

Hope you get it back.
    It might also show up as a search on google for the specific mandolin type from someone in your neighbourhood in the specific time frame. (a friend of the thief may just do a price search on a phone).
    -though best to just say goodbye, if that’s at all possible, and get a replacement on the insurance.
    Good luck.

I'd check pawn shops too...
    2003 John Sullivan F5 "Roy"
    2015 Heiden F Artist
    2019 Ruhland F5 #35

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

So sorry to hear about your loss. I hope you have taken measures to make sure your homeowners insurance or renters insurance has been purchased to include your instruments. Still a loss when you have an instrument you are fond of even if you have no monetary loss.
    Hoping for a safe return and karma to plague your theif.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Hopefully you find it again. I would check pawn shops in your county and surrounding counties, also places like instant cash shops (they often accept musical instruments.)

Good news I got word from my insurance they will cover the full value of replacements for stolen items (minus small deductible) and I installed an alarm system at my house!

I'm still checking websites and will be on the lookout, but I sure am thankful for insurance and will continue to keep clear documentation and pictures of all my instruments.

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to LindyHopper For This Useful Post:

That is good news, well done.

(In response to another poster, I feel for the thief too, I can’t imagine what they’re going through, hope they can work it through)

Quote Originally Posted by atsunrise View Post
    That is good news, well done.

(In response to another poster, I feel for the thief too, I can’t imagine what they’re going through, hope they can work it through)
    Yep, I agree. Not to get self-righteous about it, but I always feel bad for thieves because of the sense of deprivation and poverty they must feel that makes them into thieves -- this excludes those corporate thieves, of course, who have no feelings and would rob their grandmothers blind if there was a dime in it. You know who you are --

Quote Originally Posted by atsunrise View Post
    That feeling that you and Pete have would be based on the assumption that all thieves (or at least these) steal because of difficult life circumstances.

That assumption would be incorrect. Absent such information, I feel no general sympathy for thieves.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ccravens For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Summers View Post
    Yep, I agree. -- this excludes those corporate thieves, of course, who have no feelings and would rob their grandmothers blind if there was a dime in it. You know who you are --
    I agree with the "corporate thieves" - my uncle embezzled $100,000 from his own mother (my grandmother)- Who does that?!?!?

Here’s a dilemma, though it’s about stealing drugs not mandolins,
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinz_dilemma

Most property crimes around here are addicts stealing for their next fix. The real criminals are further up the ladder where there is more money to be made. A mandolin strikes me as being a pretty poor target compared to a camera or a laptop which far more people use.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ccravens View Post
    That feeling that you and Pete have would be based on the assumption that all thieves (or at least these) steal because of difficult life circumstances.

That assumption would be incorrect. Absent such information, I feel no general sympathy for thieves.
    DITTO! I grew up in an area where I was exposed to a tough element. Many stole for the adrenalin rush or because it was easier than working for what they want.
    I can share sympathy for someone stealing for food or to provide in desperate situations for their children. Other wise, thieves will get no sympathy from me.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

22. The following members say thank you to Pittsburgh Bill for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Bill View Post
    DITTO! I grew up in an area where I was exposed to a tough element. Many stole for the adrenalin rush or because it was easier than working for what they want.
    I can share sympathy for someone stealing for food or to provide in desperate situations for their children. Other wise, thieves will get no sympathy from me.
    Perhaps my choice of words was poor -- I didn't mean that I feel sympathy for thieves so much as pity (and I certainly didn't mean to hijack this thread).

But anyone who feels the need to steal does so, IMO, because they are feeling deprived of something in their lives (be it an adrenaline rush, thrills, money, power, attention, self-esteem or some other lack). People who feel content and grateful don't have to take what others have. It is that sense of deprivation that I pity.

Naturally, any of us would steal to stay alive if there were no other options, but that is rarely the case and unlikely to be the motive for the theft of the OP's mandolin.

Anyway, I hope the OP gets his mandolin back.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pete Summers For This Useful Post: