Thread: What Should A Beginner Look For When Purchasing a GREEK bouzouki?

Question What Should A Beginner Look For When Purchasing a GREEK bouzouki?

Hey all,

I'm a beginner bouzouki player (in the US), and I'm interested in purchasing an instrument, but I'm not really sure where to start.

I do know that I want an 8-string, and my price range is $300-$500 (I'm a student). I've been looking at some Matsikas models on Thomann, but as far as neck length, width, wood quality, etc, go, I don't know much.

I'd appreciate any advice! My market research thus far has been a bit disorganized.

Thanks,
    Aimilia

P.S. this probably merits a separate thread, but any tips for scoping out used bouzoukia?

Default Re: What Should A Beginner Look For When Purchasing a GREEK bouzo

well watch ebay and your local craigslist or kijiji. decent ones turn up now and again. look for straight neck and no top drop. a lot of old ones have top drop from poor maintenance . realtively new ones show up at decent prices . they have the advantage of good fretts. modern nickel steel alloy. some old ones have poorer quality frett material. i have one that started with terrible brass fretts but i played the bejaysus out of it any way. still love it. my junk store cheapo, but i had it refretted.

3. The following members say thank you to ollaimh for this post:

i put up an ad for one

5. The following members say thank you to ollaimh for this post:

Thanks so much! I'll check it out