Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adventures in Clip-On Mics

Default Re: Adventures in Clip-On Mics

Thanks Gabe for the heads up on this idea. I tried something a little different with it but not overly happy with it so I may change it around some to be more like what you did.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

Registered User Gabriel Wiseman's Avatar

Keep playing around with it and I think you'll be able to get it to work for you.... Once you do, You'll like the magnetic attachment bit. Makes for a lot of flexibility in where you position the mic.
    Gabriel Wiseman
    https://poplme.co/pmywrpAD
    www.jtrband.com
    Curt Mangan Strings

2021 Duff 2 Point, 1947 Gibson J-50

As a followup to my post above, I found that with the Pro 35 mic clipped to the pickguard, every time my finger touched the guard (which happened a lot more often than I would have guessed) you'd hear the bump through the mic. So I bought the DPA mount, which greatly minimized the problem. It's a pretty overpriced piece of plastic, but it does the trick. I just clip the mic to the top of the mount.

Blog Entries

I have had no issue with transmitted physical noise from the pick-guard. I do, however, always use the variable low-cut filters on the console (QSC Touchmix 16) to 'edit out' much below 196Hz. I can also check what is happening on the Real-Time Analyzer. Very clean and thump-free sound from this setup.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael H Geimer View Post

I too went the entire gamut of our OP's journey, but quickly ditched the Pro35 for one significant reason. The fixed position of the mic precluded 'working' the distance for dynamics. This was a huge deal-breaker for my situation/style of playing.
    This is an issue with all instrument mounted mics.

The thing I found was that when using them you need a different playing technique to compensate. Varying volume by picking intensity rather than 'working' a traditional stand mounted mic. I still prefer the latter, for the same reasons.... but in some situations these clip-on mics work really well too.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

6. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

Regarding pick-guard noise, the low-cut filter helps a lot, but I guess my hands/fingers fly around a bit too much. I still get some bumps.

I thought I had lost the DPA clip, and I was not gonna pay the $40+ to replace, it and had come up with a design I ended up not needing to use because I found the clip.

The design would use a violin chin guard clamp, which is the same clamp used in mandolin arm rests and can be bought for less than $10 on-line from various violin equipment vendors. Rather than using a flat piece of wood like an arm rest, I would fashion a small piece of wood with a vertical riser, attach this to the clamp, put some cork padding under the wood, put the clamp on the mando, and then clamp the mic to this riser.

This would likely fit in my case a lot better than the DPA clamp, so I may try making one anyway. I'll post a photo if I do.

I got around to making the clamp. I got violin chin rest clamp on ebay, bought a sheet of cork at a craft shop and glued pieces to the clamp, and fashioned a cherry scrap and epoxied the clamp legs into it. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ZySAt3IHwWBcEjG89ziNaRayD5hRlyOs3WgrXpkRygR1N9POhze_s89XoE7zoGc3u5kPpSqkTDg_Yv83CVpf--wtRi8rnPeC.jpe 
Views:	94 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	180697Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MnRTpE1L32_MhgnbhfZb2XnsxNVwSi8hzlTmamkpDuZvfs6Cd2CGinlfd78_xavzegZ4up1GAjMh3-FyxxNJvUJLUpRxzodk.jpe 
Views:	94 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	180696

Works great.
    Last edited by morgan; Oct-21-2019 at 9:50pm. Reason: typo