Thread: If You Are Able…

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

Default If You Are Able…

If you’re able, please consider the following:

1. Check in (telephone, text, email) with friends, neighbors, relatives, and acquaintances. Especially the elderly and those who may have some chronic illness.

2. Find out if they have any new illness symptoms (fever, a new cough, flu-or cold-like symptoms), or if they’re in a home quarantine. Find out if they need medical help; if so, let the authorities in your area know.

3. If they’re not ill, just chat with them. A little friendly conversation can help with the isolation, the anxiety, and the stress.

4. Offer to help them with any chores. Or shopping. Or meal preparation.

5. Find out if they’re in a financial bind and require some necessities. Individually, you may not be able to provide the financial assistance that they need; but you may be able to point them to some resources in your community that can help them. Or band together with some people you know and pool resources to provide a bit of help.

6. Consider any service industry folks you personally know that may not have work for a while: barbers/hair stylists, servers/waitstaff, etc. Maybe make a freezable casserole or some meal for one of them and his/her family.

7. Support your local full-time musicians. For many, music is their primary/only source of income. If they have CDs, buy as many as you can afford (even if it’s only one and even if you don’t like their music) and use them as gifts down the road. Some musicians that you personally know may resort to selling their instruments and equipment at pennies on the dollar just to make ends meet; try to dissuade them and think creatively of alternatives.

8. Get a group of folks together to do all of the above. Doing so will broaden the reach, as well as strengthen the sense of community.

And it needs to be said once again, keep yourselves healthy.
    -Wash your hands frequently.
    -Avoid travel.
    -Practice social distancing.
    -Be responsible. Don’t go out if you are ill.
    -And if you think you need help, reach out to someone.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to NursingDaBlues For This Useful Post:

Default Re: If You Are Able…

Nice post NursingDaBlues.We are all in this together, stay well everyone.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pops1 For This Useful Post:

My son in law is working from home. He is so productive without office distractions, every late afternoon he piles the grandchildren, six,four, and two, into the minivan and heads for a remote trailhead or beach. Yesterday it was the beach. No one for hundreds of yards around. Mom get a break, and the kids were having a blast.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

6. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

I agree, I’d just add that it’s ‘physical’ distancing rather than ‘social’ distancing.
    Because at times like this we need to be socially closer, which we can be, without necessarily be physically close.

A concrete example would be a band who do a performance in the street in front of the closed windows of an old folks home. Socially close, physically removed.
    Last edited by Simon DS; Mar-18-2020 at 4:51pm.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Simon DS For This Useful Post:

An important point, Simon. Social distancing could lead to real problems of isolation, and physical distancing is a much better term. As Pops1 says, we are all in this together, and maybe society worldwide will someow reform into a more caring mode than we have been seeing for quite a while now. It takes an incident of this magnitude to get folks to think in radically different ways.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Kelly For This Useful Post:

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I completely agree with the point about physical distancing and social solidarity. I'm a social psychologist, and this very same point has been made by several colleagues. If more people offer to help their neighbours with groceries and fewer people stockpile the toilet paper for themselves, we'll have achieved something good from this crisis.

Part of me wants to try to cheer everyone up by playing some music in our street, like a one-man parade. But I'm not confident enough as a musician for that.

Good ideas, NursingDaBlues. I think playing in the street or backyard (if it will ever quit raining everyday) would be fun and potentially entertaining. But sadly, like Gelsenbury, I am just not there yet.

13. The following members say thank you to Stacey Morris for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Simon DS View Post
    I agree, I’d just add that it’s ‘physical’ distancing rather than ‘social’ distancing.
    Because at times like this we need to be socially closer, which we can be, without necessarily be physically close.

A concrete example would be a band who do a performance in the street in front of the closed windows of an old folks home. Socially close, physically removed.
    Agree. I think its a bad term. This has nothing to do with not being social and everything to do the avoiding close physical proximity. But, we are now stuck with that term

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

In Colorado, Mile High United Way 211 Resource Finder could be a useful resource for folks who may have various types of needs, i.e., financial, basic needs, employment, short term housing, childcare, mental health, crisis, or in need of other community resources.

https://search.211colorado.org/