Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 82930313233343536 LastLast

Thread: Gibson threatening the mandolin and guitar luthier community

Default Re: Gibson threatening the mandolin and guitar luthier community

Here is what Gibson is up against... these just showed up on facebook marketplace. And free global shipping!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	760.5 KB 
ID:	179514   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	583.7 KB 
ID:	179515   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	776.6 KB 
ID:	179516  

2. The following members say thank you to dustyamps for this post:

Those fakes started showing up in our area. The quality is amazing -- no, they are not up to Gibson $5,000 standards, but for $89 or even $350 -- they are nice looking, serviceable guitars. And, on the electrics, most people replace the tuners, pickups, etc, so.......perfect for upgrading. I've worked on several. No, we don't sell them, but they show up in the repair department.....so people are buying them from somewhere........?

Keep in mind, they are not an exact copy, a few tiny details are wrong, mostly due to cost savings, but they would fool most people and they are indeed counterfeits meant to deceive stating Gibson logo, made in USA, Gibson style serial number, etc.....
    Last edited by Jeff Mando; Sep-04-2019 at 5:50pm.

4. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

This first ad has been taken down and replaced with the identical ad from a different sponsor and website. Two of these Gibson counterfeits have shown up here locally that I've heard about. A local guitar player bought a Starlight? brand les paul copy directly from China, got it, opened up the case, it had Gibson on the headstock. The other, a Hummingbird copy, showed up at a local pawn shop... and yes, they were surprised to find out it was a counterfeit.

6. The following members say thank you to dustyamps for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    Maybe they should spend their time working to make quality instruments that people actually want to buy? I mean, do they actually think this strategy is going to endear them to musicians? Sad!
    So true! Regarding the mandolins Gibson made their name through the instruments built in the 1920’s. They haven’t been able to build mandolins with the same tonal qualities since then. The Gibson mandolins of today remind rather of the asian factory production both in sound, aesthetics and shape (look at the ugly scrolls, arches, materials used, finish etc) for the prices of the US luthier work. Lloyd Loar and his colleagues who made the Gibson it’s former name are turning in their graves.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Skovajsa View Post
    So true! Regarding the mandolins Gibson made their name through the instruments built in the 1920’s. They haven’t been able to build mandolins with the same tonal qualities since then. The Gibson mandolins of today remind rather of the asian factory production both in sound, aesthetics and shape (look at the ugly scrolls, arches, materials used, finish etc) for the prices of the US luthier work. Lloyd Loar and his colleagues who made the Gibson it’s former name are turning in their graves.
    Stuck in the 70's huh?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric C. For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Skovajsa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric C. View Post
    Stuck in the 70's huh?
    You beat me to it Eric!
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

11. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post:

As for the „ugly scrolls” and a few other (for most people) minor aesthetical things, I believe Jan is right. Other than that many of the recent Gibsins are well made and certainly good sounding.

I'll preface this post with I'm a huge Gibson fan and love all things Gibson. However, my favorite modern Gibsons are from 2000 through 2007. I've played some after 2007 and they do sound good and are very well made, they just don't have the same look or feel. The one big thing that really keeps me from owning a post 2007 Gibson is the scroll. I just don't think they have that right. Something is just off about the look and aesthetics of the scroll.
    Last edited by KMaynard; Mar-04-2020 at 11:38am.

14. The following members say thank you to KMaynard for this post:

After the cloud of dust and FUD, has anybody seen any effects of the Gibson actions on mandolin builders?
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    After the cloud of dust and FUD, has anybody seen any effects of the Gibson actions on mandolin builders?
    Looks like Gilchrist is no longer offering the traditional flowerpot or fern.

This would seem to be a result of Gibson's crackdown:

New Gilchrist Inlay Options
    Last edited by Dave_W; Mar-04-2020 at 12:46pm. Reason: Readable link

The Flower pot crackdown started in the Derrington era and didn't affect a whole lot of people. Have they started to be more aggressive or what? Honestly you can still get a half fern and a half flower pot from Gilchrist and I find that pretty funny.

Bruce Harvie had a favorite picture of the workmanship on a Loar scroll closeup that he used to post. I can't seem to find it.
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Mar-04-2020 at 4:38pm. Reason: I hate auto-correct
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Bruce Harvie had a favorite picture of the workmanship on a Loar scroll closeup that he used to post. I can't seem to find it.
    Perhaps modern Gibsons have smoother surface because of heavy use of sanders and thick layers of finish but Loars had that specific crisp style even if some roughness was present. Of course there are always exceptions.
    Adrian

Bruce had one that was really rough.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Sound like they need to improve the quality of their products to be the best then they won't have to worry about the competition but in truth Gibson/L.Loar took much of their design from the tradition of violin makers thus they owe to the desendents of the the masters that proceeded them??

Quote Originally Posted by KMaynard View Post
    The one big thing that really keeps me from owning a post 2007 Gibson is the scroll. I just don't think they have that right. Something is just off about the look and aesthetics of the scroll.
    Look at a post 2007 Gibson scroll and a 1920s Gibson scroll. Northfield's scrolls are more correct than recent Gibsons. Gibson scrolls are way too open.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

23. The following members say thank you to Don Grieser for this post:

Where are the standards luthiers consult when building an f-style mandolin? I've never seen any specifications that mandate size, shape, amount of curl, etc.

Don, my Breedloves are completely different. Are they wrong?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200307_093652.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	723.4 KB 
ID:	184083
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by DHopkins View Post
    Where are the standards luthiers consult when building an f-style mandolin? I've never seen any specifications that mandate size, shape, amount of curl, etc.
    https://www.elderly.com/products/gib...lans-version-3

There are no rules as to what a scroll should look like. However most builders who are going for the F5 model like to get as close as possible to the early Gibsons. However when you ARE Gibson and have made a big deal about how you are the creators of the F5 it sure seems like you should try harder than most to get it right.
    Here's a Gibson that was supposed to look like Bill Monroes which was priced around $30k if I remember correctly. Then there's my friend Jacobs 4th mandolin.

Name:	Gibson-F5-Hall-of-Fame-Mon-front-768x1024.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	113.5 KB 
ID:	184085   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hag.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	184086  

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hilburn View Post
    There are no rules as to what a scroll should look like. However most builders who are going for the F5 model like to get as close as possible to the early Gibsons. However when you ARE Gibson and have made a big deal about how you are the creators of the F5 it sure seems like you should try harder than most to get it right.
    Here's a Gibson that was supposed to look like Bill Monroes which was priced around $30k if I remember correctly. Then there's my friend Jacobs 4th mandolin.
    That's exactly what I'm talking about. The scrolls are just different and to my eye look way to open in the scroll area. Not saying they don't sound as good because all I've played sounded nice, but for my taste, they just don't have the same look. The scroll work is supposed to be the eyepiece of the F style mandolin just like master violin makers taking great pride in scroll carving. It's their belief it shows their craftsmanship and skillset.

At some point they made this Doyle Lawson model. I'd love to see them go back to that look.

Name:	doyle.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	258.2 KB 
ID:	184087  

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    Well, there ya go! Except that there are few specifics. It appears to be "Get as close as you can" and I'm fine with that. While I don't want an ugly instrument, I'm more concerned with sound and playability than aesthetics. I could play a black one, a natural one, etc., but I'd have to turn in my man card if I was forced to play a pink one. To me, that comes under the heading of "Ugly."
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

Is Gibson still trying to beat up on Luthiers?

Blog Entries

This is not in response to the question above. Just seemed like a good place to post:

Gibson tells Nashville musicians they'll replace any guitars lost or damaged in the tornadoes

32. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

Thats a Nice effort by Gibson.