Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Gibson threatening the mandolin and guitar luthier community

Default Re: Gibson threatening the mandolin and guitar luthier community

Is this connected to this story by chance? Anybody know more info on why this happened?

Scott R.
    -
    2019 Ellis F5 Special #464 - Facebook Build
    2017 Pava A5 Pro - Autumn Burst
    1987 Flatiron F5 Artist

Want to list your instruments with galleries in your signature?
    Check out RuttList Instrument Archive to create your own galleries for free.

A bonfire would have been better.

3. The following members say thank you to Jim Hilburn for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
    Is this connected to this story by chance? Anybody know more info on why this happened?
    I assume this was sponsored by Gibson but don’t know for sure. It seems to me there are better options to eliminate final inventory and take the write off, certainly more reverent ones than resorting to a cheap stunt like this. Shame shame.

I'll venture the theory that they're not real Firebirds, but, in fact, counterfeits. If that's the case, the government, in a poorly executed show, decided to destroy them. Jim's right. A fire would have been better but the toxic smoke might make it worse. How 'bout a car shredder. How 'bout letting my grandkids destroy 'em. I'd give 'em a week.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

Good thing there are no kids anywhere in the world whose lives could be made a little better by having access to a guitar...

7. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Marty Jacobson For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by DHopkins View Post
    I'll venture the theory that they're not real Firebirds, but, in fact, counterfeits. If that's the case, the government, in a poorly executed show, decided to destroy them.
    Who would bother counterfeiting a Firebird X?

Gibson made thousands and they didn't sell. They were stuffed with electronics and that stupid Robot tuning system (another reason they aren't likely to be counterfeits). A massive flop for the company. This was probably Gibson taking a write-off, possibly with a requirement to document destruction of inventory.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    Good thing there are no kids anywhere in the world whose lives could be made a little better by having access to a guitar...
    Looks like Gibson's accountants figured they got a better deal as an inventory write-off than as a charitable donation.

Teacher, repair person

I believe that those are genuine Gibson Firebird X model guitars.
    I'm not going to guess at an explanation.

10. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

After a quick google it appears they’re real. Not faulting them for eliminating the dog food not selling and writing down a million or so including the operator of the shovel but the lineup of guitars and heavy equipment was a little over the top. If I had my paw prints on them I’d dispose differently, but we’re on the left coast! Lol’s

I guess if the irs wants to question them it’s now documented but c’mon?

Okay, I will acquiesce to those with the greater knowledge. As a LEO, we used to destroy those counterfeit purses, sneakers, etc that we caught being sold at flea markets, Craig's List, etc. I just figured someone imported a bunch of fakes and maybe got caught.

I did say it was a theory.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

Introducing their competition to Fender's Road Worn Series?
    Tom

"Feel the wood."
    Luthier Page: Facebook

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tom Haywood For This Useful Post:

There is an explanation in this video.

"It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Can someone condense the 'explanation' so I don't have to watch the video? This is the strangest thing ever...
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BradKlein For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    Couldn’t agree more. I was certainly thinking this and alluded to it in the later part of my post above, but then that would have required some actual thought and work to achieve this on their part.

If he’s (or wants to be) in touch with the community, why wouldn’t the CEO have the grey matter to suggest this? Perfect opportunity to do good and bring positive attention to the company, yes? What’s we thinking?… it’s a bizzare video and reflection.
    Last edited by mtucker; Jul-31-2019 at 8:08pm.

Gibson's corporate objective, by my observation, was, and is, to increase the value of the stock/shares.
    Guitars are simply the vehicle by which they are doing this. They could just as well be making veeblefetzers.

21. The following members say thank you to Jeff Hildreth for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by BradKlein View Post
    Can someone condense the 'explanation' so I don't have to watch the video? This is the strangest thing ever...
    It's not unexpected behavior, this one was done after Henry left, they have been cutting up guitars for years that didn't meet their expectations and apparently these monstrosities weren't really useful for anything else.

They interview the former Gibson employee that filmed the event and he and others were told they could take the video.

If anyone got more out of that than I did bless you.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

23. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Oh, and one comment on YouTube about this video caught my fancy. It said "This is actually how you play a Firebird X. It's in the manual"

Might be true.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

25. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by BradKlein View Post
    Here's my attempt:

Gibson under previous ownership (Henry) made a bunch of terrible decisions about electric guitar design, including this monster of a guitar with too much electronics and a "Robot Tuner" that didn't sell. They made thousands and nobody wanted one. The company took a write-off for tax purposes on inventory, and had to document that the inventory was trashed. That's about as short as I can make it.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foldedpath For This Useful Post:

I would think the write-off is speculation but expected. You could also say they didn't want to pay to warehouse them and they were growing stale on their serial numbers. Lots of reasons to get rid of something that was supposedly technologically advanced at one time and the tech has moved past them. It's one thing to have a timeless design that apparently doesn't get old and another that is supposed to be bleeding edge but is outdated. These were pretty much setup to fail from the beginning. But again, that's all speculation. The fact that Henry made awful decisions is known truth.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

These guitars were Gibson's property, so they can certainly do with them what they like. But what a shameful waste this was.

From a natural resources standpoint (wood, metals, finishes, associated carbon footprint), exceedingly disrespectful of our environment. From the standpoint for those in society who could have benefitted (inner-city under-resourced schools or NPOs who could have taught deserving underprivileged youth to play, and delivered much needed mentoring in the process), utter disregard. Even the landfill space these instruments are now likely taking up could have been put to better use.

I am constantly being asked about the ways in which my business practices responsible environmental stewardship and I strive to do the right things. The cumulative harm done by this one act by Gibson leaves me with absolutely no respect for the current corporate leadership. Sure, I would love to own a vintage Gibson and am likely to do so. But the current company will never see a dime of my money as long as they act in this irresponsible manner. We need to consider society and the environment in all our business practices. In destroying these musical instruments, Gibson is showing us who they now are.

My motto may be 'purr more, hiss less', but this one I am calling as I see it. Shame on you, Gibson.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

30. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post:

Benski 

Blog Entries

Wow I figured those were the Chinese "fake Chibson's" Guitars made with the GIBSON in the peg head? Gnarly, what a waste, all the wood, metal, wiring etc...

Blog Entries

I smell a ruse.

Am I the only person that sees this as someone went to great length to make a presentation clearly intended for video use on the web? There's no clandestine video work here. This was all carefully planned and is being used exactly as intended. All of the instruments perfectly lined up for maximum visual impact, the use of a piece of very expensive machinery--likely leased with driver, pricey-- to do what a couple of guys with sledge hammers could have done in 30 minutes, or just throw them in a compactor. The goal was not solely to destroy the instruments, it was to make this video. Multiple angles of video shots, and then the kicker: someone claiming to not know anything about it, posting two videos complete with advertising and a follow-up video "explaining it all," both widely edited and released the same day.

Please.

Not particularly interested in what went on here nor the story behind it, but this I can guarantee: it's getting exactly the response on YouTube in the comments section and a fair amount here--moral outrage! How could they? Someone saw an opportunity to play a lot of people and it's working out exactly as they wish. I'm putting this into the category of too many videos that get tossed onto the internet for pure shock value of some kind but the real reason is something else. Personally, I get my news from reliable news sources, not a bunch of clowns on YouTube. YMMV. Carry on.

EDIT: no, I did not watch every second of both videos. Maybe there's an explanation of some sort but whatever it is, it's for someone else's consumption, not mine. Where can I apply for the return of the amount of time I wasted watching what I did?

33. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Gibson fans, please be sympathetic to my feelings regarding their instruments as it is only my nonprofessional opinion and with having no idea of their overhead costs vs. other builders of mandolins. Perhaps Gibson could have a more profitable mandolin division if they were to offer instruments of equal quality to other builders at a like price point rather than expecting people to pay more to have GIBSON written on the headstock. FORGET THE FRIVOLOUS LAW SUITS. When buying a mandolin I look for value and do not get caught up in scrolls or what is written on the headstock.
    I have often found Gibson mandolins lacking to my ear when comparing them to other mandolins in the same price range.
    No offence to anyone's beloved mandolin. Just my humble opinion. (And yes, I have heard and played a few Gibsons that I would have loved to own)
    Note: I do not believe Gibson is the only builder that adds $ or even 1000's of $ for their name on the headstock. True too, that if I were a builder I would probably charge whatever the market would bare.

Buyer beware and do not purchase based upon what is written on the headstock, be it Gibson or any other builder. Buy what feels and sounds best to you. Frivolous law suits add to my unsavory feelings towards buying a mandolin that says GIBSON.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Kinda sad. For some reason made me think of "cash for clunkers."

At the very least, those guitar parts could have been resold on eBay and made somebody happy.....

You know. Watching this is a good example of waste . Not sure what to think from this.

That just makes me cringe. Our high school band has to do a tremendous amount of fundraising to keep the program alive. Imagine the goodwill Gibson could have created by donating those instruments to schools in need.
    “Like winds and sunsets, wild things were taken for granted until progress began to do away with them. Now we face the question whether a still higher ‘standard of living’ is worth its cost in things natural, wild and free.” -- Aldo Leopold

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trodgers For This Useful Post: