Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 7282930313233343536 LastLast

Thread: Gibson threatening the mandolin and guitar luthier community

Default Re: Gibson threatening the mandolin and guitar luthier community

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon View Post
    This thread is really out there.
    Gibson is a private company and can do whatever the heck they want. Period.
    Sorry, but it has never been true that private companies "can do whatever the heck they want." On the contrary: private companies are bound by applicable U.S. laws, just as the rest of us are. As it happens, numerous laws apply to things like disposing of their corporate assets (and taking business losses off taxes, for example, by destroying inventory), and also to copyrights and trademarks.

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    Sorry, but it has never been true that private companies "can do whatever the heck they want." On the contrary: private companies are bound by applicable U.S. laws, just as the rest of us are. As it happens, numerous laws apply to things like disposing of their corporate assets (and taking business losses off taxes, for example, by destroying inventory), and also to copyrights and trademarks.
    Think you're reading a little too much into my short post. If they want to destroy an instrument or a desk or anything else they OWN, they can do so . . . as long as they aren't breaking any laws. If you really think they are breaking laws - report them to the authorities.

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    Literally, you're right but I think the point is, there are no stockholders or others such as regulatory agencies that they have to answer to. Only the consumer.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by DHopkins View Post
    Literally, you're right but I think the point is, there are no stockholders or others such as regulatory agencies that they have to answer to. Only the consumer.
    Yep, no stockholders. But plenty of (some would say way too many) regulatory agencies. Thank goodness for us, the consumer, the ultimate overlord.

Ok, if you don't want to see Gretsch guitars then just skip to7:35 and listen. I wonder if Gretsch got a letter.
    https://www.facebook.com/GretschGuit...8184873759929/
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bertotti View Post
    Ok, if you don't want to see Gretsch guitars then just skip to7:35 and listen. I wonder if Gretsch got a letter.
    https://www.facebook.com/GretschGuit...8184873759929/
    At 7:36 I thought I heard a "mic drop".

Quote Originally Posted by Frankdolin View Post
    At 7:36 I thought I heard a "mic drop".
    I darn near spewed my drink over my computer when I hear his closing line. hahahahaha
    I love Gretsch! And Martin!
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

I wonder if they did this in the late 50s with the V and Explorer and the Moderne? They werent very popular back then. So now theres a handful of these still left making them highly sought after. I wonder if this will be the case For any obscure Memphis guitars?

First I have to admit I scanned through the comments about the destruction of the Firebird guitars.

It was stated that they were unsalvageable. Nothing more was done than any company. You destroy the inventory instead of throwing it in a dumpster so someone can pick it out. Why not have some fun.

During this controversy it was also stated that Gibson was donating 1 instrument a day for the next 1000 days.

The video was taken by an employee. Which could be the reason they are a former employee. Unauthorized video at any company is a big no no.
    2007 Indiana Scout
    2018 Indiana Madison Quilt Elite
    2018 Takamine GJ72CE 12 String
    2018 Takamine GD93
    1963 Gibson SG
    2016 Kala Uke
    Dean A Style Mandolin (year unknown)
    Plus a few lower end I have had for years

So when they made the original Flying V they made about 90 and the Les Paul sunburst, what 3-400? How did they commit to that many guiars without at least a trial run to see how they sold?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hilburn View Post
    So when they made the original Flying V they made about 90 and the Les Paul sunburst, what 3-400? How did they commit to that many guiars without at least a trial run to see how they sold?
    It was easy. They were Gibsons and Gibsons sell, or so they thought. They underestimated the intelligence of the consumer.
    David Hopkins

McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

Also the whole thing about them being unsalvageable is bunk. Give one of those to any kid in the developing world, and they would have salvaged the heck out of it.

Eh, none of this bothers me. I'll still dream about how beautiful I could make that Gibson F5G Black Night at The Mandolin Store sound. Although I think it would show a great deal of good will on Gibson's part if they offered me a 50% "loyalty" rebate on it. Haha

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    Also the whole thing about them being unsalvageable is bunk. Give one of those to any kid in the developing world, and they would have salvaged the heck out of it.
    Until the battery died and they couldn't charge it or replace it. It runs on a rechargeable camcorder battery. You can't even change strings unless it's powered up for the auto string wind function. It makes no sound at all through the 1/4" output jack, unless the battery and onboard electronics are active.

Take some time to learn what this guitar actually is, before jumping on the train of "they should send them to schools." The Firebird X was a monstrosity that can't be re-purposed like a normal guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    Until the battery died and they couldn't charge it or replace it. It runs on a rechargeable camcorder battery. You can't even change strings unless it's powered up for the auto string wind function. It makes no sound at all through the 1/4" output jack, unless the battery and onboard electronics are active.

Take some time to learn what this guitar actually is, before jumping on the train of "they should send them to schools." The Firebird X was a monstrosity that can't be re-purposed like a normal guitar.
    Exactly right on. Let's hope they got them all.

I think you might be surprised by the ingenuity of people with limited resources, but whatever.

17. The following members say thank you to Marty Jacobson for this post:

Teacher, repair person

Simple enough. Take out the fancy electronics and replace the tuners. The pickups can be reused. Probably the volume and tone controls also. If not, the controls can be replaced for $20 or less in parts, plus maybe two hours labor on the workbench of a one man shop.

I think you might be surprised by the ingenuity of people with limited resources, but whatever.
    Oh definitely. But maybe not how you'd think. It might well end up becoming a fancy canoe paddle or part of a car....
    Mandolin: Kentucky KM150
    Other instruments: way too many, and yet, not nearly enough.

My blog: https://theoffgridmusician.music.blog/
    My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChF...yWuaTrtB4YORAg
    My Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/africanbanjogunnar/
    Free backing tracks:
    https://backingtrackers.wordpress.com/

20. The following members say thank you to Gunnar for this post:

I think I understand the spirit of what you are saying, Marty. Example, I play electric guitar almost every day, mostly late at night when my family is asleep, and even if that wasn’t the case it’s a big ordeal to set up my amp and play (don’t have a man cave), so I play unplugged and enjoy it about as much as plugged in. I’m sure plenty of people would have played these flawed guitars the same way and just been happy to play.

Of course, Gibson et al can do as they please with their goods, and maybe it’s more trouble than most realize to get these “bad” guitars into the hands of less fortunate players. I don’t know, and I’m sure it’s complicated. But when it shows up in a video it does look tasteless and wasteful.

22. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    Simple enough. Take out the fancy electronics and replace the tuners. The pickups can be reused. Probably the volume and tone controls also. If not, the controls can be replaced for $20 or less in parts, plus maybe two hours labor on the workbench of a one man shop.
    Volume and tone controls would have to be replaced, they're tied into the digital circuit. Maybe the pickup selector switches too, not sure about that. Pickups would have to be wired through to the new vol and tone controls to the 1/4" output. Full set of tuners to replace. And then add a dummy weight into the massively routed-out body after removing the battery and electronics, so it would balance on a strap like a normal guitar.

And after all that, the user will still be staring at this every time they play it, and wondering what this is all about:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	49b72ed1-3d8c-4bdb-8635-cfe097c76ccf.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	178952

I very much agree with you but some things are beyond "McGyvering."
    David Hopkins

If the tuners and pickups were replaced they could be used as a normal electric guitar. Pretty simple stuff.

Some active guitars use passive pickups and are only active in the sense that the eq is active. I'm guessing the pickups were fine BEFORE the bulldozing....

Can't do much about the ugly design..........shame, because most "actual" Firebirds have a good rock'n'roll look!

26. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Can't do much about the ugly design..........shame, because most "actual" Firebirds have a good rock'n'roll look!
    They are definitely hideous, no question about that...
    Last edited by Marty Jacobson; Aug-11-2019 at 7:01pm.

These were totally off my radar so I watched a video from when these were introduced by one of these guitubers explaining how it worked and showed what was under the electronics cover.
    What were they thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hilburn View Post
    ...What were they thinking?
    Henry is probably asking himself the same question.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber