Thread: Capo problem/question

Default Capo problem/question

Hi, I've been lurking but this is my first post.

I'm having trouble finding the perfect capo for my Phil Crump bouzouki. Phil made the bouzouki with a downward arch on the back of the headstock that looks cool but makes a bump on the back of the neck right where an elastic or Kyser capo would normally sit. The clamp capos work great but make it difficult to change keys in the middle of a set. Phil himself suggested a Shubb, but that is a clamp type.

I have other capos that work great as long as they don't have to be moved, but I play Irish trad and need to change keys in the middle of a set. It's awkward to have to reclamp a trigger type capo.

I'm tempted to go to a luthier to see if an adjustment could be made to the neck but I'm hoping there is a less drastic option? All comments welcome!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6152.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	785.5 KB 
ID:	177653

Default Re: Capo problem/question

I use the Planet Waves Tri-Action. Moves easily while playing and is adjustable.

http://daddario.com/pwProductDetail....&productid=612

Here's a radical idea, partly in jest but it might work:

Detune your 'zouk 1 or 2 half steps with appropriate change of string gauges. Then you could keep an easily shifted capo like the "Gilder Capo" design or an elastic capo permanently fixed at the first or second fret past the hump. That fret becomes the new nut.

If it was me, I'd probably just practice capo-shifting with a trigger type.

Quote Originally Posted by zoukboy View Post
    I use the Planet Waves Tri-Action. Moves easily while playing and is adjustable.

http://daddario.com/pwProductDetail....&productid=612
    Thanks, I'll try it. Haven't seen this one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    Here's a radical idea, partly in jest but it might work:

Detune your 'zouk 1 or 2 half steps with appropriate change of string gauges. Then you could keep an easily shifted capo like the "Gilder Capo" design or an elastic capo permanently fixed at the first or second fret past the hump. That fret becomes the new nut.

If it was me, I'd probably just practice capo-shifting with a trigger type.
    Actually that's a very interesting idea. I would think I could keep the same string gauge just to go down a half step?

Quote Originally Posted by lynn-in-nc View Post
    Actually that's a very interesting idea. I would think I could keep the same string gauge just to go down a half step?
    You'd want to keep the same string gauge just to try out the idea, sure.

I'm a string gauge optimizer by nature though, and even that small half step detuning might have me thinking of slightly increasing the string gauge, depending on how the tension feels, if there is any fret buzz, and so on. It might work fine without new gauges, just have to try it.