Thread: Downloading video files

Default Downloading video files

Why is it that some video files (YT, Vimeo, etc.) can be downloaded and others cannot? Is this determined by the person posting the video?

Default Re: Downloading video files

Quote Originally Posted by wsugai View Post
    Why is it that some video files (YT, Vimeo, etc.) can be downloaded and others cannot? Is this determined by the person posting the video?
    Not that I'm aware of, FWIW. When I upload my videos to YouTube, I've never seen an option as to whether or not to allow downloading. I don't monetize my videos though (I don't allow ads on my videos), maybe that has something to do with it?

Further, I didn't realize that *any* YouTube videos could be directly downloaded anymore... I vaguely remember a few years ago occasionally being able to do that, but haven't seen it lately...

When I want to capture some online video, I just use a screen recorder, fine for PC but not for Android phone as (for some inexplicable reason) the Android screen recorders I've tried don't allow recording sound with the video.

On the PC, if I want to record a YouTube/etc video for later viewing offline, I use either my old version of Bandicam or the new built-in free Windows 10 screen recorder (originally intended for gamers but it can also be used to record anything you wish that's on your computer screen, including YouTube/etc videos).

Blog Entries

I use a program called 5K Player to download youtube videos onto my laptop. It has a lot of other features like playing audio and converting video file types and streaming functions from cell phones to your TV. But I only use the download function. BTW it filters out any advertising seen online. And it works on Windows and Mac/Apple, (and probably Android and other cell phones.)

It's free. So it's the right price for me.

https://www.5kplayer.com/
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

4. The following members say thank you to DougC for this post:

There are several websites that you can download youtube videos directly, I'm sure there are probably more but these are the ones I use. The first link also has the option to install some browser extensions, which I choose not to do. I'm very careful about sites that want you to install extensions as this is an easy way for malware/virus' to infect your computer.

http://ssyoutube.com
    http://qdownloader.net/
    Kevin
    -Laura Ratcliff Model A #0035