Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disappointed with the Nashville music scene

Default Disappointed with the Nashville music scene

Went to a corporate event in Nashville, with high expectations of catching some quality Blue Grass, but alas I was sadly disappointed.
    I hit the Broadway strip, nothing but way too loud pop rock cover bands, something I can get in anywhere USA. Wasn't able to make it over to the Station Inn, but I found some quieter scenes over on the West End, White guy with guitar, white girl with guitar, all good, but nothing special, I can get that kind of thing back home any day of the week.

Does any body play bluegrass in Nashville anymore ?
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

Default Re: Disappointed with the Nashville music scene

You can find it, but maybe not on the strip. Many of the best players are playing elsewhere or touring. However, it is not uncommon to hear some great musicians sit in with groups in Nashville, even national guys. I have heard some really good up and coming bluegrass bands at Station Inn.

3. The following members say thank you to illinoisfiddler for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by tmsweeney View Post
    Went to a corporate event in Nashville, with high expectations of catching some quality Blue Grass, but alas I was sadly disappointed.
    I hit the Broadway strip, nothing but way too loud pop rock cover bands, something I can get in anywhere USA. Wasn't able to make it over to the Station Inn, but I found some quieter scenes over on the West End, White guy with guitar, white girl with guitar, all good, but nothing special, I can get that kind of thing back home any day of the week.

Does any body play bluegrass in Nashville anymore ?
    Well... I don't really know anything... but hasn't Nashville been kinda mostly about commercialized pop music since at least the 1960s or so anyway? [1] I mean it seems to me (an old geezerette) that what passes for "country" the last 60+ years seems more like regular professionally-produced pop music, I can't tell much difference between "country" and "rock" etc. Frankly I'm surprised to hear there's very much actual bluegrass in Nashville anyway, outside of maybe (totally uneducated guessing here) smaller niche venues that probably don't bring in rockstar-level income for either the musicians or the venues. ? Musicians have to make a living too...

--------------------
    Footnote:
    1. I'm not trying to imply there's anything wrong with the more pop/commercial music, there's lots of enjoyable music in such categories, and it's only been the last few years that I've gotten into some of that and began to appreciate what I was missing all those years earlier. But, when one is specifically looking for a particular type of music such as bluegrass, it can be a bit of a challenge.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jess L. For This Useful Post:

Results of a Google search on "Bluegrass in Nashville TN." Layla's comes up consistently, as often as the Station Inn.

Need to do the research before setting out on an evening exploration. You're gonna get the more commercial and popular country styles much more often than a niche music -- even in Nashville! -- like bluegrass. Music all over the place, but bluegrass not so much.

Hell, the International Bluegrass Music Association's in Nashville (Facebook page). Phone call or e-mail there might have scared up some bluegrass activity info.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Jl277z I could not agree more with everything you said, to me " modern country" is pretty much rock in cowboy boots (not the Patsy Cline , Johnny Cash and George Jones I grew up with). My son who plays in a local band and grew up on Rancid and Pixies loves George Jones, I think some of the young people are looking for something that isn't some record label producers stamped image. Ah well Neil Young said it best -
    "When I was a younger man,
    got lucky with a rock and roll band,
    spent time in Hollywood,
    all the time I knew I would-
    Get back to the country where it all began,
    back to the country, back where it all began"

I hear northern Maryland / Southern Pennsylvania is "Del" country - maybe I'll try that next.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tmsweeney For This Useful Post:

hasn't Nashville been kinda mostly about commercialized pop music since at least the 1960s or so anyway?
    The "Industry" part of Nashville certainly trends that way, but the city itself (or at least East Nashville) is very popular as a home base for a wide variety of musicians, in part because of easy access to session and touring work, and because of the welcoming community of like-minded musicians. Problem is, I don't know if many of them play there on a regular basis. I see them posting CD release gigs and other special events, but it seems like most of the playing takes place elsewhere.
    Mitch Russell

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onassis For This Useful Post:

It’s been a few years since I was last there, but the house band at Robert’s Western World was my fav on the strip. Dude’s have been playing together since 1995, I think, and played mostly older stuff. Lots of Hank Sr comes to mind. Not BG, which I also heard none of on the strip. Otherwise, yes, a bunch of good cover bands. Some of the best karaoke I’ve ever heard, though, lol. There were a couple of ladies killing it in one place we walked past...
    Chuck

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CES For This Useful Post:

Even in Nashville bluegrass is a niche market just like everywhere else. But from my trip in 2016, it seems that the Sunday nite open jam at the Station Inn is very grassy.

Scott

14. The following members say thank you to Grommet for this post:

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

I went in September and REALLY enjoyed the Bluegrass Brunch at the Sutler: http://nashvilleguru.com/49056/blueg...-at-the-sutler, but also participated in the Jam at The Station Inn.

The BG brunch was really good (breakfast) food accompanied by a couple of very talented players on the stage. The Jam at The Station was fun, but very different from other jams I've been to. Not the kind where you pass around and take turns with who gets to pick the tune and those who can, take a break... it was very much lead by a few of the regulars who picked all of the songs very few of which I had ever heard. ... it was definitely a step or 2 above my skill level, but still fun!
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

16. The following members say thank you to soliver for this post:

The best bluegrass you're gonna find in Nashville (outside of a killer Station Inn show) is every Wednesday night at American Legion Post 82 in East Nash. Great stuff

They do fantastic old-school honky tonk every Tuesday as well
    Weber Diamondback
    Breedlove KO
    Breedlove Voice Revival 000
    Johnson MA500 bouzouki

18. The following members say thank you to TaylorSwan for this post:

It’s definitely around. I went to a John Hartford tribute show back in January of this year on a Thursday night and the house band was Mike Compton, Chris Eldridge, Matt Combs, Noam Pickelny, and Paul Kowert. Noticed several cats in the audience, including Tristan Scroggins, Jordan Tice,Brittany Haas and Kristen Andreason (spelling?), with the ladder three sitting in on a couple of songs.

However, the two times I’ve been to Nashville since as a just passing through type of trip, I have not really enjoyed the Nashville vibe.

Just catch Carl Jackson!

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Results of a Google search on "Bluegrass in Nashville TN." Layla's comes up consistently, as often as the Station Inn.

Need to do the research before setting out on an evening exploration. You're gonna get the more commercial and popular country styles much more often than a niche music -- even in Nashville! -- like bluegrass. Music all over the place, but bluegrass not so much.

Hell, the International Bluegrass Music Association's in Nashville (Facebook page). Phone call or e-mail there might have scared up some bluegrass activity info.
    Timing is a big part, and planning. The tourist aspects are unfortunate for some of us music folks looking for more. Find our members that live in that area (or wherever you plan to travel), and get some valuable input. Learn where they frequent in Nashville. I'm not sure you're going to find many 'known' artists at small venues- other than The Station.
    Last edited by John Van Zandt; Jul-19-2019 at 9:58pm.
    Kentucky KM-380

22. The following members say thank you to John Van Zandt for this post:

Blog Entries

Just doing a free association, I am not sure I would have associated Bluegrass with Nashville anyway. Not in the present day.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

+1 for Carl Jackson and New Monday. Usually with Mike Bub, Aubrie Haney and Larry Cordle. Not strictly bluegrass, there's a girl on keyboards and a guy on steel, and Amatnuk on drums, but the one that's knocking me out is Val Storey on vocals. And the harmonies with Val, Carl and Larry. Outstanding.
    I'm only seeing them on Youtube but if I was in Nashville that's where I'd go.

I think you made a spelling error:

Asheville is the place you are looking for, a few hours east and you'll find Bluegrass alive and well!
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

27. The following members say thank you to j. condino for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by grandcanyonminstrel View Post
    I think you made a spelling error:

Asheville is the place you are looking for, a few hours east and you'll find Bluegrass alive and well!
    "So Come on you Asheville Boys.. Turn up your old time noise..." - Gillian Welch
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

I was at a conference several years ago and found some great blues. Crowded even on a Tuesday evening.

===========

An old band mate of mine in went to a symposium in Nashville some years go - the general message from record companies was: 'We don't care how good you play, how good you sing or how good you write - we will only talk to you if you look good in a video.'

So much for 'MUSIC City' . . . .

I have to say the Ken Burns Country dock did "learn me up" on the Nashville music scene history. No disrespect to Chet Atkins, but adding in the lushy strings and jazzy piano to country music, for me was the first step towards "urbanization" of country music in America, and for me as a kid, the whole Conway Twitty, George and Tammy thing just really turned me off of country music, to the point I wouldn't even bother with folks like Johnny Cash or Willie Nelson, cause it was "country" and I was fully expecting full orchestra behind them. I understand making records and filling auditoriums requires financing and the business side of music is no different than any other capital enterprise, but sadly many artist who's passion is art and not industry were taken advantage of by slick producers and managers with $ in their eyes. So while Nashville and the Oprey birthed an entire genre, it also pushed it further and further away from its roots.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

32. The following members say thank you to tmsweeney for this post:

"Does any body play bluegrass in Nashville anymore?" As has been mentioned, you've got to do your homework. Expecting to stumble on the Bluegrass scene or the best restaurant (for example) in a city of 700,000 is a wildly unreasonable expectation. In this day and age, the answers are at your fingertips in under a minute.
    Last edited by doc holiday; Oct-02-2019 at 12:43pm.

"wildly unreasonable expectation" -alas its only what I want that makes me weep

I wasn't looking for anything specific nor even the best of the best or some diamond in the rust.
    I wanted something to inspire me, perhaps attract me back for another visit, I came up empty handed.
    I've had better luck in cities that don't have the word "music" in their nickname.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

35. The following members say thank you to tmsweeney for this post:

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Full disclosure, Not a huge Grasser here though acts like Billy Strings (perhaps not pure bluegrass) is growing on me.
    But on NASHVILLE and as a fan of 40s and 50s country/rockabilly I have been disappointed in the Nashville music scene since the mid 60s. I think they lost me at Buck Owens.
    No offense to anyone, just expressing my personal view.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

37. The following members say thank you to Pittsburgh Bill for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by tmsweeney View Post
    I hear northern Maryland / Southern Pennsylvania is "Del" country - maybe I'll try that next.
    It’s definitely Del country! Check out Delfest! A great festival in Cumberland, MD. You’ll get your bluegrass fix and more!

Wrong Nashville. Had you been in Nashville, IN then you wouldn't have had a problem. Can't throw a rock without hitting someone playing bluegrass or an old tyme tune. I like going to Nashville, TN for an eclectic mix of music but my main attraction is to go to Carters and Gruhns.