Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We're not so weird...

Default We're not so weird...

I'm a mando-holic, might have a bit of a guitar problem, and I own way too many bluegrass cd's.
    But I just read that there are people who collect Vintage Kool-Aid packets...

I feel better.

Kirk

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tiltman For This Useful Post:

Default Re: We're not so weird...

I walked into an apartment once and there in a custom display case was a 1000 piece Pez collection. I had a friend that collected glass insulators from old telegraph and early electrical wire transmission lines. People collect all kinds of things. Most mandolins at least get used.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

“I collect Blondes and Bottles too!” Phillip Marlowe, “The Big Sleep”
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

5. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Blog Entries

We're in a padded room telling the drooling person next to us not to be like the dude across the way b/c "he's crazy!"

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JEStanek For This Useful Post:

Hey, you can collect belly button lint if you want too (and I bet someone does! LOL!!) We could also collect boats, antique cars, or airplanes (much more expensive!)

Of course someone collects belly button lint; folks also collect fingernail and toenail clippings. We need to put more medication in the water supply.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30308876

What the fish are getting is more medication in the water supply!

11. The following members say thank you to John Soper for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by LadysSolo View Post
    Hey, you can collect belly button lint if you want too (and I bet someone does! LOL!!) We could also collect boats, antique cars, or airplanes (much more expensive!)
    Yup - https://gawker.com/5672240/this-is-o...t-in-the-world

HAHA

At least with being a weird musician you get invited to parties and can get paid. My girlfriend is mainly a rock climber and plays a lot of volleyball for her hobbies - she always complains that I get paid to have fun and she pays to have fun haha.
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/

Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5

===========

Oh - this thread has my name written all over it.

I fully admit to having an addictive personality and ever since I was a little kid I have collected a vast variety of things - from sports cards, to shot glasses, to vinyl records, to coins, to beer bottle caps, to musical instruments, to old books, etc., etc., etc.

All of the items that I collected were done out of legitimate interest in the hobby, and I never indulged in any collection as an 'investment'. A vast majority of those items have found new and better homes over the years, but I had great fun and countless hours of enjoyment out of each of them. My collections were often temporary escapes from the hassles of every day life, and the enjoyment that I got from those hobbies more than helped to me to keep some sort of sanity in my world, when the realities of life were dragging me down.

p.s. - I never collected Kool-Aid packets - because in my neighborhood we drank 'Funny Face' and collected those packets instead . . .

14. The following members say thank you to MikeZito for this post:

I had a coworker back in the mid-aughts who would get paid to display her My Little Pony collection at MLP conventions. I had no idea this was even a thing. She had a medium-sized storage unit full of ponies, plus sculpted landscapes for them to frolic in. She visited the storage unit almost every day to tend to them, comb their manes, move them around....

This was before the modern reboot and the "Brony" phenomenon — which completely devalued her hobby almost overnight.

She was a strange girl. She was allergic to mammalian proteins and nearly died after eating whale in Japan — so she ate more chicken than I thought was possible. She also drank six or seven Red Bulls a day but no coffee or alcohol. And she competed (and won!) "fitness bodybuilding" competitions despite appearing to be the scraggliest little thing I'd ever observed, bless her heart. If I were to find out she'd taken up social work with nudists and hunted a mountain lion with only her teeth I'd be just a little surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZito View Post
    p.s. - I never collected Kool-Aid packets - because in my neighborhood we drank 'Funny Face' and collected those packets instead . . .
    Ha I remember seeing those in the 1960s, never was into drinking them though (or Kool-Aid either)... although for a short while I thought Tang was pretty groovy. (I'm quite surprised to discover just now that Tang is still around, it's on both Amazon & Walmart etc websites, I thought it went out with the 1960s... shows what I know eh.)

Anyway, I never collected any of those brands, although I admit I had a sizable musical instrument collection at that point. I've since thinned the musical herd to only the bare essentials.

Want to see my collection of 100+ year old antique wooden hand planes? I have about 50 or 60, but I only use about 8 or 9, mostly moderns. Probably invested between 2 and 3 thousand dollars over many years. I almost went to a tool meet to get rid of some of them but--can you believe it?--my wife talked me out of it!
    (Oh, and I have 3 mandolins (F, A, & a bowlback), an Octave, two mandocellos, a Martin 00016 guitar and an old Gibson electric.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Imhoff View Post
    I almost went to a tool meet to get rid of some of them but--can you believe it?--my wife talked me out of it!
    She might have been thinking of all the stuff you might buy while you're there. Some of the people I know who go to swap meets to sell stuff (mostly automotive items), they end up coming home with more than what they started with, regardless of any earlier intentions to clear things out.

I worked m a recycling center during high school in the 70s. One of the guys, same year as me, collected everything he could get his hands on. When we all left for college, he stored it, all carefully packed in Mylar, in his parents’ basement. Five years later he was running a collectibles shop. In the mid-90s he left retail and went into wholesale collectibles. He showed me some of the catalogs the wholesalers used. Basically, people collect everything. Have an old Master Card without a hologram? It’s worth several hundred dollars (people destroy expired credit cards). I bought a pair of Gumby slippers once - he said I should pack them I Mylar immediately and never wear them. I didn’t do it of course, because you either live in the present or you have a warehouse full of stuff you may or may not be able to sell some day.

Homo Sapiens are hunter/gatherers. It’s deep in the genes.

Steven

I’m afraid I suffer the same addiction, les Paul’s are my downfall.
    I have been looking at adding yet another mandolin to my collection.

and now for the hard part. Convincing the boss that another mandolin is a sound and worthy purchase.
    Doc Ivory
    -Play loud, live long..

Why be "Normal"? I know a very private collector who has a few stencil guitars.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9811.JPG 
Views:	162 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	177601  

22. The following members say thank you to dustyamps for this post:

===========

Quote Originally Posted by dustyamps View Post
    Why be "Normal"? I know a very private collector who has a few stencil guitars.
    VERY impressive . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    I walked into an apartment once and there in a custom display case was a 1000 piece Pez collection.
    Well, remember, eBay started in 1995 as an idea for collectors to buy and sell Pez dispensers. Founder Pierre Omidyar began eBay as a favor to his girlfriend.

Little before my time, but not by much, I started hanging out at eBay a couple years after that, still well before it was a household name. Not because of collecting anything in particular, however. The viola in my avatar was my first purchase there. I fondly remember the days where you could actually see the IDs of fellow bidders.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

25. The following members say thank you to bratsche for this post:

I heard of a rich person who collects Frank Lloyd Write houses...mandolins are kinda tame
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

I had a friend once who told me she had a mania for collecting pretty stones and pebbles. Then she spent five minutes describing one of them, the texture, colours, size, the different minerals and crystals in it. It was partly granite, I remember that. I asked her how many she had. Thousands, hundreds of thousands, in fact she had so many that she didn’t know exactly where the one she was describing was. I asked her why she didn’t organise them. She said that if she organised them, then people would get upset with her, so she just let the surf do it.

Yes, this hippie chick kept all of her pebbles at the beach.
    But apart from that little character defect, she did play the mandolin, which is one of the reasons I began.

28. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DevanBennett View Post
    taken up social work with nudists
    Whoa whoa whoa … what?
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

My wife has been collecting beach rocks for years, she has exchanged the “normal” kind of decorative stones half way around the house with beach stones, I only allow her two five gallon pails a trip when we go to the cottage. She broke her shoulder last year and even then, she had me picking things up for her! This year we shall see how her new titanium reverse shoulder works for picking some of these things!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Blog Entries

Don't knock Pez. The Pez Museum is worth the visit.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PEZ.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	177644

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

At least with being a weird musician you get invited to parties and can get paid. My girlfriend is mainly a rock climber and plays a lot of volleyball for her hobbies - she always complains that I get paid to have fun and she pays to have fun haha.[/QUOTE]

This is the lie we pickers tell ourselves all the time to justify our hold on insanity .
    I once estimated that it costs me nearly 8000.00 in gear ( couple of guitars, my mandolin , a good sound system , pedals and effects , couple of iPads , music stands , a dolly ,a cheap vehicle to haul it in and more than a few hours sleep to get paid 1985 $$$ ( 100-200 bucks ) for a gig .

By the time all the above is paid off its time to invest in another vehicle and some upgraded gear, organize some UNPAID practices and fight the clubs and agents for the same $$$$ in 2019 they didn't want to pay in 1985 . But hey .....we're having fun . ,lol

33. The following members say thank you to roysboy for this post:

Blog Entries

I collect Bubble Pipes. Have nearly 100, all different.
    I think, therefore, I pick.