Thread: 18 wheels and a dozen roses

Default 18 wheels and a dozen roses

Does anybody know of a good starting place to build some harmonic fills and maybe a little mandolin solo on this song? My daughter is actually doing quite well on the guitar and vocal part of this song, and I would like to build a little on that. I saw a live version on you tube that had a nice mandolin part, but no other Info. I guess I am just looking for the proper scale to start poking around in. I am kind of new to the improv thing.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 18 wheels and a dozen roses

Well …. the scale to start with would be the pentatonic of the key she is singing in. Then move on to the pentatonic relative to the chord she is playing. Start by learning the melody in the correct key and adding some fill notes. Your ear will tell you what works. Or your daughter will. Eventually , with study and time, you will be able to "play the changes" and improvise freely. But start with the melody. Wikipedia has a number of good articles on various scales and modes when you get to them. There is little I enjoy as much as making music with my son. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Default Re: 18 wheels and a dozen roses

Yes it's a great thing! Thanks for the advise. I play around scales reasonably well, it's just how and where to apply them that I second guess myself