Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Volume boost pedal question

Default Re: Volume boost pedal question

I have talked with K&K several times about a preamp more suited to the mandolin/violin frequencies, but I think they think the market is not there. The K&K pre is definitely more suited for guitar. I have had the K&K, Baggs para, Orchid and RedEye. Been using the RedEye for a couple years now and the others are sold or sitting around. I liked the Orchid, but no battery and needed 48 volt phantom, so not as simple as no phantom, no problem the battery will handle it. Or a lower voltage phantom, and it will still power the battery pre's.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Yep, that's the other thing about the Red Eye--flexibility. I have played on stages with ample phantom power, and I have played with none. I have played when my battery died and we had phantom. I like the piece of mind knowing that it will work. The newer versions of the Red Eye also gain more headroom when running on phantom, and they already have a ton.

This thread has made me very interested in the Redeye for both fiddle and mandolin, but I haven’t been able to find any videos for either instrument that is using one. Does anyone have links for either instrument especially with and without it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bradford View Post
    This thread has made me very interested in the Redeye for both fiddle and mandolin, but I haven’t been able to find any videos for either instrument that is using one. Does anyone have links for either instrument especially with and without it?
    You'd be a prospect for the RedEye Twin then. The RedEye works because of its very linear amplification characteristics. I had a chat with the owner/designer, and he said most pres need EQ due to peaks and valleys in their gain stage.

It is all too true that the end consumer (audience) mostly could care less. Heck, from what I've seen, most players could care less.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

5. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

I also use K&K pickups. I found that using an overdrive pedal with low drive (or gain) settings gives a very nice boost to the signal and you end up with a "fatter" sound. You can then use the volume knob on that pedal to balance it all. Some overdrive pedals also come with treble settings that you can also adjust.
    One other thing I can recommend is switching from the Para to the DI Venue. The venue gives you more control over the overall sound, comes with a mute/tuner option, and also has a boost button in addition to the volume and gain knobs. It gives you the option to regulate how much boost you want when engaged. It is a more expensive preamp, but it's one of the best investments I've made in pedals. Hope this helps.