Thread: Third string out of tune below the fifth fret

Default G string out of tune below the fifth fret

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions!

I just picked up one of the B-stock Gold Tone mandocellos that was on the classifieds. Overall nice instrument - a subject for a different thread.

I have one major issue though, the G string when fretted below the the 5th fret is very sharp. By the time you get to the 12th fret you are almost a semitone sharp.

All of the other strings intonate fine up and down the neck, so I'm really scratching my head on this one.

If this were a mandolin I would just compensate by angling the bridge, but this being a mandocello and thus the G string being one of the middle strings I can't really do that without pulling the low C out of tune.

Any help appreciated!
    Last edited by BeachMando; Jun-11-2019 at 9:13am.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Third string out of tune below the fifth fret

Hmmmm … is the nut slot a hair high or the saddle a hair uneven, humped? I have read on a mandolin that can cause intonation issues. Otherwise … I am watching this to learn. Luck R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

The nut is filed super low. I should have mentioned that this thing actually utilizes a zero fret so I don't think the nut actually affects intonation in that case.

The bridge slots are super shallow though. I was considering filing them down a little to maybe create a little more slack on just that one string. I've never heard of this fix before though, so wanted to solicit ideas before attempting drastic action.

Try a different string gauge for the G perhaps? File down the leading edge of the bridge to change the compensation? Just a thought...

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

I thought of trying that too, but unfortunately there is not as much selection for mandocello strings as there is for mandolin strings.

Try acoustic guitar strings. There should be plenty to choose from.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Check if your bridge saddle is turned around.

Since the issue gets worse the more you move towards the bridge I would guess that's where your issue is.
    Pete Braccio

"The Rules: Play nice and don't run with scissors"
    http://www.braccio.me
    Check out my web site for:
    Jack Tottle music files
    BBC Virtual Session files
    O'Neill's PDFs
    ITM Tunebooks, and more

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Braccio View Post
    Check if your bridge saddle is turned around.

Since the issue gets worse the more you move towards the bridge I would guess that's where your issue is.
    Thanks, I did check this as one of the first things, was hoping it would be that easy!

Show us a close-up pic of the saddle.

I have an OM with the same problem, and the bridge wasn't made for a wound A string.
    And even with a PS A the compensation is still off for the strings I am using.

So I am having a custom bridge made, but first have to discover proper compensation.

This thread (where I discovered a way to find correct compensation) may help:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...n-tool-perhaps

Also, I think you are right that if the action is too high for that string, that will also cause it to go sharp up the neck.

So you need a properly adjusted and compensated bridge (for the strings you are using) to fix the issue.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

Quote Originally Posted by kurth83 View Post
    Show us a close-up pic of the saddle.
    Thanks, that is good info. Will post a pic in a few hours when I'm home.

That sounds pretty severe, and I suspect you'll need a new, possibly custom saddle. I have a very nice flattop mandola made by someone with impeccable credentials, but the bridge was just not right for the Thomastik strings that I favor - the D course was always noticeably sharp, although not to the extent of your G course. Since there was no room left on the bridge to file that part back the necessary 1/8" or so, I had to make a whole new ebony bridge (one-piece) properly compensated for these strings, and now it's fine. The old bridge is still in the case compartment, in the event that a future owner finds it more useful than my replacement.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Thanks for all the replies so far. Here is a pic of the bridge taken from just behind it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pcD...ew?usp=sharing

Quick update - I tried throwing on some .42 acoustic guitar strings per Len B's suggetsion above.

The strings that had been on there were allegedly .44s.

This made a pretty big difference. Intonation is now perfect to the 7th fret and "within spec" down to the 10th. The 12th still pulls a bit sharp, but I'm hoping after this I can just make some minor bridge adjustments to sort things out.

I'd like to avoid a full bridge replacement since 1) the bridge on this thing is wired as a pickup and 2) I got this on the cheap and don't want to pour a ton of money into it until I can figure out if I will actually use it.

Appreciate the help in this thread everyone. This is such a great community and site!

Looks like the compensation is way off. Those are all wound strings. The bridge should step up from the C (farthest towards the neck) to the A (closest to the neck) instead of the up-up-down-up pattern of you bridge. The G string looks like the saddle is shaped too far towards the neck.

It also looks like the D string is too far away from the neck. That should send that string flat as you move up the neck.
    Pete Braccio

"The Rules: Play nice and don't run with scissors"
    http://www.braccio.me
    Check out my web site for:
    Jack Tottle music files
    BBC Virtual Session files
    O'Neill's PDFs
    ITM Tunebooks, and more

Blog Entries

That saddle is definitely compensated for two plain treble pairs and two wound bass pairs. I had the same problem with a mandola I bought. New saddle, properly compensated, solved a whole world of intonation issues.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Blog Entries

Here is a non-adjustable bridge on a 1920 Gibson mandocello currently listed on Reverb (NFI). Note the compensation steps. This is the step pattern I would expect when all strings are wound, even though it looks like the treble pair is plain steel (!) on this instrument. If so, I bet this one has a bit of intonation problems on the higher strings.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	towmxeup8xpt80ymj9ol.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	177492
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com