Thread: Anyone know of a website or app that will display all chord notes

Default Anyone know of a website or app that will display all chord notes

I'm looking to visualize every note for chords so I can figure out several different voicings and also arpeggios in many different positions. So it would produce a diagram of a mando neck with an indication at each string/fret where there is a chord note. So, for example, for an F7 chord, on the E-String it would show "1" on the first fret, "3" on the fifth fret, "5" on the eighth fret, "7' on the 11th fret and "1" again on the 13th fret.

Most programs show specifics voicings and appropropriate fingering for the voicing. But I want to see the chord notes, not the finger numbers.

Anyone know of a website or app that does that?

I wrote a program to do that decades ago for guitar but I don't want to bother to write a program someone may have already written.

Default Re: Anyone know of a website or app that will display all chord n

Nope. But I don't get around much.

And whatever note you chose as the root, the spacing is always moving along the same on any string, either up or down.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

I've used Reverse Chord Finder android app for working out chords. It's designed for 6 string guitar so you have to change the tuning and mute 2 strings to make it mandocentric. Which makes it a faff to use, but you do get the notes displayed.
    Tony.

Like this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	995D9C80-5A6A-48F5-BE57-924A103995F9.png 
Views:	218 
Size:	3.91 MB 
ID:	177431

GuitarToolkit
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Quote Originally Posted by bigskygirl View Post
    Like this?

Name:	995D9C80-5A6A-48F5-BE57-924A103995F9.png 
Views:	218 
ID:	177431

GuitarToolkit
    Yeah, although I'd rather it have the degrees of the scale (1st, 3rd, etc.) than the absolute notes.

I'll take a look.

Name:	CD900429-DAF9-4868-A144-6CBCE04E6789.png 
Views:	141 
ID:	177432

Like this?

7. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post:

Beanzy 

Here's a chart I made for my students that has the whole ball of wax on one page.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mandolin Chord Theory.pdf  

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mmuussiiccaall For This Useful Post:

Name:	CD900429-DAF9-4868-A144-6CBCE04E6789.png 
Views:	141 
ID:	177432

Like this?
    When I searched, I found more than one app called Guitar Toolkit. I think I identified the one you posted the image of as this one -- http://agilepartners.com/apps/guitartoolkit/ Unfortunately it was Apple only. I can't run it on my Samsung phone but might try it on the iPad.

11. The following members say thank you to kvk for this post:

Yes, that looks like it. I have all Apple products so if you have an iPad I’d say go for it. I’ve had the app for many years now and it’s so handy. It has many instrument choices...6/7/12 string guitar, uke, mando, 4/5/6 string bass, and even banjo. It has a tuner and metronome and will let you choose alternate tunings or make your own. It will even do left handed. Many other features as well and upgrades are available for purchase for chord sheets, etc.

As for chords, arpeggios, and scales on the neck you see it will toggle between notes, fingers, or intervals in each position or it can show everything on the entire neck. I has a nice search feature I especially like where you can designate notes on the neck and it will tell you the chord, I use that when I’m up the neck and not always sure of exactly what chord I’m playing then I can use it to find other chords in the neighborhood.

All in all a great app and one that I refer to often.

On Android check out Fretter. Once you select a particular chord formation from the options just tap & it shows the notes. It can generate chords forms for mandolin, mandola, bouzouki, guitar, banjo etc. You can set it for any tuning you'd want. Has worked very nicely for me.

Smartchord app will do that- just show the chord tones in a stack, the free version is good, the paid version lets you specify the instrument and or tuning, don't forget there are at least a zillion books out there, you do have to know how to operate the pages though...

or just learn the circle of 5ths

I did get the Big Book of Mandocello chords (who knew that existed?)

Harvey Reid has multiple fingering all over the fret board for most chords in all the Keys.
    I'm sure the same exists for Mandolin, but its just straight tones, he doesn't really talk about where to use the chords for various effects, but there is also plenty of material available on just that subject.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

Check out Mandolin Companion. Available from the App Store for Apple iPhone.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

Wow Rick! This covers it all. Thanks for posting.
    But, of course, I have a question: it appears that the scale degrees indicated on the diagram relate to the key of G. Do the colors and shapes of the individual notes mean something in particular? If so, did you have a legend on the other side of the diagram?
    Thanks,
    Ken

This chart is all 12 keys in one like a sliderule. Make two pieces of paper (BLANK & NUT) as shown to visualize this until it sinks into your vision. I have placed the papers as if I am looking at the key of C. BTW the triangles are non-diatonic pitches and the colored are the Major triads.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mando Chords in C.pdf  

Take a year of music theory and learn your major & minor scales in every key, and you won't need no stinkin' apps.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I made an webapp a while back that does what I think you're asking:
    chords.cc
    Also if you have any suggestions for improvements I'd be happy to consider them...
    Cheers,
    Jerry

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jeremiahrose For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Wow, Jerry that chord web page is amazing!
    I'm working on mandola chords and need to know different shapes up and down the neck. This is a great way to find chords quickly. And yes MrMando, I'm working on my chord theory so I don't need no stinking chord chart....
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

Quote Originally Posted by mmuussiiccaall View Post
    This chart is all 12 keys in one like a sliderule. Make two pieces of paper (BLANK & NUT) as shown to visualize this until it sinks into your vision. I have placed the papers as if I am looking at the key of C. BTW the triangles are non-diatonic pitches and the colored are the Major triads.
    Ooooooooooooooooooh!

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Take a year of music theory and learn your major & minor scales in every key, and you won't need no stinkin' apps.
    Actually, most people should be able learn enough music theory to construct any chord, or scale, in a few hours and I learned all that 50 years ago. I'm just looking for a time saver. All you need to do is be able to count to 12 for gosh sakes.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremiahrose View Post
    I made an webapp a while back that does what I think you're asking:
    chords.cc
    Also if you have any suggestions for improvements I'd be happy to consider them...
    Cheers,
    Jerry
    I do like that for finding chord voicings, very nice. Other things that would be cool --

Have an image with the whole neck from fret 0 (nut) to maybe 15 and include every note that is in the chord. That would be useful for finding arpeggios and the chords in multiple positions where maybe you move from one voicing to another. It's actually that feature that I'm really looking for. For chord voicings, there's be no point in showing two or more notes on the same string but it's very useful for arpegios.

With multiple notes per string included, you could also include scales. You could likely do that by simply having seven additional chords for the seven modes. Or at least two for Ionian (major) and Aeolian (minor) but if you are doing two, it would be trivial to do all seven.

I took a look at the page source but the script appears minified so it isn't really readable.

I don’t mean to keep beating this horse but GT will do what you want, because this is my iPad it only shows to the 10th fret but one can scroll up the entire neck or chose positions.

For scales (first pic) I counted 116 different options - modes, Blues, pentatonic, bebop, harmonic, minor, major...

For chord tones/arpeggios (second pic) - I counted 71 different options - common, 7th, extended, sus, diminished...

NFI but it seems to be what you’re looking for.

Name:	D9347B56-6B12-4DB2-A6B4-93ED23E25578.png 
Views:	140 
Size:	3.75 MB 
ID:	177574Click image for larger version. 

Name:	79E7335B-242E-4485-A531-68BF529B7EC2.png 
Views:	144 
Size:	3.85 MB 
ID:	177575
    Last edited by bigskygirl; Jun-14-2019 at 7:53am. Reason: Arrange thoughts

I don't mean to keep beating this horse but GT will do what you want, because this is my iPad it only shows to the 10th fret but one can scroll up the entire neck or chose positions.

For scales (first pic) I counted 116 different options - modes, Blues, pentatonic, bebop, harmonic, minor, major...

For chord tones/arpeggios (second pic) - I counted 71 different options - common, 7th, extended, sus, diminished...

NFI but it seems to be what you're looking for.

Name:	D9347B56-6B12-4DB2-A6B4-93ED23E25578.png 
Views:	140 
Size:	3.75 MB 
ID:	177574Click image for larger version. 

Name:	79E7335B-242E-4485-A531-68BF529B7EC2.png 
Views:	144 
Size:	3.85 MB 
ID:	177575
    I'd be interested in that app, but unfortunately for all of us millions of Android users, the app is for Apple only gadgets (as poster kvk mentioned). I got rid of my last Apple hardware years ago.

At least he has an iPad but for people that don’t have any Apple products that’s too bad, it’s a great app. Maybe contact the designer and request an android version. OTOH my android hubby has an app called swipe for typing that I’m extremely jealous of.

Fwiw, i too wanted the same info, ie 1-3-5, for any chord.

I did this for guitar jazz chords long ago, root on 6th string, 5th string, 4th string, and inversions. Really helped me.

Then, i did the same for mando and banjo.
    Since there are relatively few chords shapes for mando (and banjo), i sat down and made charts with each chord’s scale degrees.

Took about 2 hours. (For both instruments) . Ingrained the voicing, and made it easy for me to build any chord, in my head, on the fly.

Not very tech, but, i now have this in my head, not on a screen.