Thread: Eastman 304 fretboard extension

Default Eastman 304 fretboard extension

I know its only a partial / abbreviated sort of extension but it actually messes a lot with my hand position!
    I dont know if anyone else has found this and if any attempts have been made to modify said extension? Would be interested to hear any thoughts.
    Cheers
    Oliver

Default Re: Eastman 304 fretboard extension

Hi Oliver
    I purchased my first mandolin a washburn timeless A year ago. It was a righty that I converted to lefty. Anyway the fingerboard
    was in my way since the things ways upside down. I took it to a experienced luther in AZ and had him cut it off. He did a great job
    and except for the finish under the fingerboard and the binding at the cut point being gone it looks great. This is my starter
    and makes no difference to me since I will use it as a beater when I by my next one.

keith

Yes, you can cut the bit of extension off, but one suggestion is that if you keep playing with it and get used to it, you’ll save the cost of modification AND you’ll be better able to play the many mandolins out there that have extensions.
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

4. The following members say thank you to Doug Brock for this post:

B381 

I don't think it will be as easy to take it off or cut it down as it is on a mandolin with an elevated fingerboard, as spudpicker discussed above. The fingerboard is glued to the top so cutting the end off isn't an option at all. You could probably pull the last few frets and sand the fingerboard flat down to the bottom of the fret slots. That would leave a nice finished look but I am not guaranteeing success with that either. I have the same issue with my 504 and have learned to just move my hand back when I hear myself hitting the end of the fingerboard. That seems to be working well enough for me for now.

I find oval hole mandolins sound better when played at the beginning of the hole on the bridge side. No need to remove anything.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Aye, I will probably just suck it up and get used to it....although I might pull the frets at some future point in time if it continues to bug me!