Thread: K&K for mandolin

Default K&K for mandolin

I am curious, K&K has the twin spot for mandolin with two types of installation. One is a permanently mounted jack the other is an external mount. I am not about to put a permanently mounted jack in my mandolin end pin or side anywhere. It isn’t .25” and I am not drilling it out. That said I am concerned the external mount might leave marks on the outside. Does anyone have the external mount? Is it fairly gentle on the surface? Thanks!
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Default Re: K&K for mandolin

By the way, there's also an option for an internal K&K with a 1/8" jack so you won't have to enlarge the endpin hole.
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicknut View Post
    By the way, there's also an option for an internal K&K with a 1/8" jack so you won't have to enlarge the endpin hole.
    I knew there used to be but didn't see it on their website. I emailed to see if they still do that. Nice to know they do apparently.

Blog Entries

In my experience it’s easy on the finish. I have an eastman with a fairly thin but durable finish. The factory padding on the K&K is foam-like and if I were worried I would line it with leather instead.

Dave Sheets

I opened up the end pin hole on one mandolin, the other has a carpenter jack. I prefer the endpin mount, the carpenter jack feels more clumsy and not as secure. The K&K pickups work great for me, I'd definitely buy them again in preference to a piezo bridge or other options.
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

Looks like I will go external because according to their website they do not do 1/8" jacks for mandolin, guitar only.
    Thanks, everyone!

7. The following members say thank you to John Bertotti for this post:

Blog Entries

It is worth checking to see if your mandolin already has a proper sized hole. My US made Breedlove like all of theirs was drilled for one at the factory.

I believe Collings already have proper sized holes in their endpin for one as well (had mine installed by luthier unlike the Breedlove that I did myself).

. I would check with your mandolin builder to see before ruling it out, more modern built instruments might be already set up to handle one.
    Collings MT2
    Breedlove OF
    Ellie eMando
    Schmergl Devastator

What you are looking for is a tapastring jack. From the K&K website.

https://kksound.com/products/vintagejack.php
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Consider the tapastring endpin.
    I have 1/4 through tail blocks on both my mandolins...not sure what is so scary about it, though I didn't do it myself, had the luthier do the dangerous work.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    What you are looking for is a tapastring jack. From the K&K website.

https://kksound.com/products/vintagejack.php
    Yep the bottom of that page says for guitars only.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMatt View Post
    Consider the tapastring endpin.
    I have 1/4 through tail blocks on both my mandolins...not sure what is so scary about it, though I didn't do it myself, had the luthier do the dangerous work.
    Nothing scary about it I just don't want to drill out my orrico tailpiece. I've been on the fence about putting a pup in this one for years. I will want to for awhile then decide not to. Maybe I just need another mandolin with it installed or to be installed. I really am adverves to drillign this one out. Not the first one I have done but my gut keeps telling not to do it to this one. I should just get off my but and build one.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bertotti View Post
    You can have K&K, or my preferred pickup jjb, made without a jack and ready for a Tapastring jack, and buy the jack for mandolin direct from tapastring. Just specify "no jack - ready for tapastring" when you order the pickup from K&K or JJB.
    Here's the tapastring you would need.
    http://www.tapastring.com/Vintage_Jack_for_Mandolin.htm
    You can get brass, stainless, ebony, rosewood, etc as the endpin material. You will also need to build a 1/8 to 1/4 cable or have your installer make one for you. I find this much more pleasing than a carpenter jack.

Here's the link to jjb pickups
    http://jjb-electronics.com/prestige-220.html

Best,
    Stevo

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevojack665 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by stevojack665 View Post
    You can have K&K, or my preferred pickup jjb, made without a jack and ready for a Tapastring jack, and buy the jack for mandolin direct from tapastring. Just specify "no jack - ready for tapastring" when you order the pickup from K&K or JJB.
    Here's the tapastring you would need.
    http://www.tapastring.com/Vintage_Jack_for_Mandolin.htm
    You can get brass, stainless, ebony, rosewood, etc as the endpin material. You will also need to build a 1/8 to 1/4 cable or have your installer make one for you. I find this much more pleasing than a carpenter jack.

Here's the link to jjb pickups
    http://jjb-electronics.com/prestige-220.html

Best,
    Stevo
    Cool about Tapastring. Sort of pricey ($80 to $105), but if you're worried about an expensive instrument, then maybe not a big deal.
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

16. The following members say thank you to Doug Brock for this post:

I have one in two mandolins, not a problem.

18. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I have one in two mandolins, not a problem.
    Do you have a special instrument cable or do you use 1/8 to 1/4 adapter?

I just made a bunch of pedal board cables. If I do this I might experiment with a mini cable for the instrument cable with 1/8 at one end and 1/4 at the other.

Do you have a special instrument cable or do you use 1/8 to 1/4 adapter?
    I use a 1/8" right angle on one end and a 1/4" on the other. I usually make my own cables. I have an adapter to carry for an emergency, but I also have a couple of these cords made and carry for spares.

You can buy the jjb pickup and tapastring Jack for less than the cost of a standard K&K.
    When I do a tapastring install, I buy the 1/8" right angle cable end from tapastring. Then I buy a high quality 1/4" to 1/4" 10 foot cable. Cut off one end and solder the 1/8" right angle on to the cable. I usually heat tape the cable end too.
    I also carry a short adapter 1/8" male to 1/4" female as backup.
    Best, Stevo

I had a K&K Twin hybrid with the carpenter jack, and it did not mess with the finish on my Kentucky KM-1000. Just have to be careful not to pull too hard on the 1/4 cord and pull the carpenter jack off the mandolin. That said, I eventually upgraded to the Fishman M300 Nashville bridge pickup with carpenter jack for feedback resistance and higher output. If you play with loud bands, this is the only way to go in my opinion. The K&K could not match or keep up with my L.R. Baggs bridge pickups in my fiddles and that created a problem for me as I switch between them on the same preamp. The Fishman is more closely matched, and with less feedback or body noise. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by illinoisfiddler View Post
    I had a K&K Twin hybrid with the carpenter jack, and it did not mess with the finish on my Kentucky KM-1000. Just have to be careful not to pull too hard on the 1/4 cord and pull the carpenter jack off the mandolin. That said, I eventually upgraded to the Fishman M300 Nashville bridge pickup with carpenter jack for feedback resistance and higher output. If you play with loud bands, this is the only way to go in my opinion. The K&K could not match or keep up with my L.R. Baggs bridge pickups in my fiddles and that created a problem for me as I switch between them on the same preamp. The Fishman is more closely matched, and with less feedback or body noise. YMMV
    thanks for the info. Looked at the Fishman M300 Nashville bridge pickup, looks real nice. I have a LR baggs Radius pickup and im having a hard time getting sound i like. a guy recommend the Fishman. I see they have an older one the m200. Then there is the newer 300 like you have, which ls like $250. I play with a loud country band sometimes and i cant hang, get run over, fighting feedback etc..So id like to try something like the Fishman.

The Fishman is the deal. You might be able to get away with the M200, but it may have a "drier" sound. The M300 has the pickup mounted in the bottom of the bridge so it still gets some body resonance, making it a little more natural sounding while still retaining the feedback resistance. Despite the price (I paid $239+$75 install), this is hands down the best pickup I have used in a loud band setting it.