Thread: Collings MT vs MF vs Stivers F

Default Collings MT vs MF vs Stivers F

I had an interesting and validating experience today. I took my trusty 7-yr-old Collings MT to a local music store to compare with some other instruments - specifically a new Collings MF and a 2013 Stivers F they listed in their inventory.

The Collings MF has a black top. I wasn't sure how I would like the looks, but in person it was simply stunning. the black adjacent to the flame of the wood sides and back is a really cool contrast. Fit and finish were excellent, as to be expected, and the setup was great. I played it for about 1/2 hour. It had quite a bright, punchy tone (partly from the Adi top) with a great chop. It played great and was pretty loud. But, compared to my MT, it didn't knock my socks off - it had a different sound flavor, but I liked the MT sound better.

The Stivers was a beauty. This one was a satin finish. Nice big frets with a radiused board - fantastic playability. Very sweet tone - and a good strong chop. If I didn't already have a mandolin I like, I would have been in love with it. But, again, when I A/B'ed with my MT the sounds were a bit different, but I didn't feel like the Stivers was Better. I actually preferred the sound of the MT to both of them.

This came as somewhat of a relief. The MF was about $6K, the Stivers was $3800. I could probably get about $1800 for my MT, which meant I would have to shell out an extra $2k for the Stivers. If it had really wowed compared to my MT, I probably would have brought it home (my wife was with me, we could have had the spousal conversation right there), but in the end it didn't seem like I would get a lot of added value for that $2k (besides the cred from an F and the cred from a Stivers, which is pretty cool).

I had a fun afternoon, and I left there knowing that MY MANDOLIN SOUNDS FANTASTIC! Now back to practicing!

Cheers,

Rob
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RobP For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Collings MT vs MF vs Stivers F

Congrats to you!!!
    I too have a Collings.
    I love the tone. I love the looks.
    I just wish I had a bit more time to enjoy playing it. it will come.
    Enjoy your wonderful mandolin!
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!

Blog Entries

I appreciate you posting this! I have an MT and it has a very rich and full sound. It is hard to beat and the action, intonation, fit and finish-- fantastic. Play on, Rob!

I used to own a black top MT, I called it my poor man's Tim O model, lol! Later I was fortunate to get a MF5 that I still own and love, I had to sell the MT to accumulate funds to do so. I was again fortunate to find a blond MF here in the classifieds. I take both with me to gigs for that rare string break. I was smitten with Collings mandolins from when they first came on the market.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

I had an MT for a while. It was a really good Mando. Shoulda hung on to it.....
    Living’ in the Mitten

7. The following members say thank you to Steve Ostrander for this post:

I recently did the same thing at Elderly Instruments. I took my 2008 Weber Yellowstone A. I sat there for a while and A/B'd it against a couple of Collings, an Ellis A5, a Stiver F5, and several other instruments on the wall. The only one I may have taken over my Weber was the Ellis. But, the out of pocket cost after trade would have been about 4k. I really can't say I heard 4k of difference between the two.
    Chris Dawson

2008 Weber A5 Yellowstone
    2009 Martin HD-28

I'll be another to state this position. Once you get a nice small shop or single shop build, it becomes hard to justify another mandolin based on tone quality. It becomes a matter of looks, neck feel, looks, and looks. The tone becomes a matter of different, not necessarily better. Certainly that in itself is reason enough.

Again I was presented with this at an open mic I played at this week. A friend and great musician had not planned on playing, as he was there to introduce his new daughter to folks, but I bring both a guitar and my Arches kit just in case, and asked him to play with me. He played with some others too so I got another chance to hear it from the audience. It is one loud mandolin. He handed it back to me with a man, I love that mandolin.

But my Silverangel is so resonant and warm at home. This guy has a Pava, but it tends to disappear in a band. Just two flavors of good. One should have both. B
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I'll be another to state this position. Once you get a nice small shop or single shop build, it becomes hard to justify another mandolin based on tone quality. It becomes a matter of looks, neck feel, looks, and looks. The tone becomes a matter of different, not necessarily better. Certainly that in itself is reason enough.

Again I was presented with this at an open mic I played at this week. A friend and great musician had not planned on playing, as he was there to introduce his new daughter to folks, but I bring both a guitar and my Arches kit just in case, and asked him to play with me. He played with some others too so I got another chance to hear it from the audience. It is one loud mandolin. He handed it back to me with a man, I love that mandolin.

But my Silverangel is so resonant and warm at home. This guy has a Pava, but it tends to disappear in a band. Just two flavors of good. One should have both. But $1500 more or less will get you a base line measure of goodness in a world of rapidly deminishing returns.

Those MTs certainly are a benchmark for great tone. And the almighty scroll is a benchmark for aesthetics.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1