Thread: Ball end strings for an electric mando?

Default Ball end strings for an electric mando?

Hi all,

Does anyone know of any manufacturer of ball-end strings that would work with an electric mando? It's my understanding that only steel (not phos-bronze) strings work properly with a magnetic pickup, and annoyingly the Mandobird bridge only accommodates ball end strings.

How do y'all address this issue? Thanks!

(P.S. I'm aware of Thomastic strings, but $40-60 for a set is not what I'm looking for.)
    Mandolins: The Loar LM-220; Lyon & Healy Special A #103; Epiphone Mandobird VIII
    Violins: 19th century German Steiner copy; NS Design WAV 4; NS Design WAV 5; Reiter Alien II 7-string
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ausdoerrt

Default Re: Ball end strings for an electric mando?

I use Ernie Ball Slinky guitar strings. Usually buy a pack of 9s and 10s and then use the gauges that get me closest to the no longer sold “Jazzmando” set. Way cheaper way to go, and a good excuse to hang out in my local shop for a little while. That said, Martin Stillion at emando.com used to sell a set the same as the Jazzmando set. You may want to check with him. The site is still up, and he’s an active forum member.

Just saw you’re in Ukraine. If shipping’s going to be too much, get the gauge recommendations from the emando site and use whatever electric guitar strings you have access to. I have a 4 string Mandobird, btw.
    Chuck

I use Fender 2250L Nickel plated steel ball end mandolin strings on my Mandobird VIII...I like the sound and playability.
    Rob

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Emando sells them custom online: Emando Strings
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

5. The following members say thank you to Ted Eschliman for this post:

Any electric guitar set that has the gauges you are looking for. I'm normally a D'Addario fan but currently have a set of Martin Darco Custom Light on my Mandobird IV and they work great for only $3.50 a set.

https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/mar...ght-11-48.html

C. ~/:/~
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

Thomastik plain steel .012,.016,.020.$2.11@ and D’Addario Chrome .030 $5.11.Single guitar strings at JustStrings.Have not tried this but now that I posted it I will.

Give the Thomastiks another consideration due to the length of their playability and how comfortable they are on fingers. This site runs specials and there may be others with similar deals: https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/thprflwomast.html

I get mine from Newtone. You can specify loop or ball end as required. https://newtonestrings.com/

You can also thread a loop-end string through a spare ball. I do that to get octave mandolin strings on my electric tenor guitar.