Thread: Mandolin Orange Information

Default Mandolin Orange Information

Hello everyone. I am, needless to say, enthralled with the band mandolin orange as I know many of you are as well. I believe this may be my first thread and as I am writing this I hope I am posting this in the correct forum.

I have every album from mandolin orange and have wore out nearly every concert and video they have on YouTube. I have also had the pleasure of seeing them live several times. My question has to do with a particular concert from 2010 if I remember correctly. They are playing at a place called Berkeley Cafe. The video can easily be found on youtube. Unfortunately I have not be able to figure out how to post the link.

Anyways, they mention in between a song that they have a self-titled ep available at the merch table. After extensive searching, I have not be able to source or find this self-titled ep anywhere online. Perhaps it has never been released on the major platforms? I would be thrilled to acquire a copy of this album and was wondering if any mandolin orange fanatics like myself on here could point me in the right direction? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, it has been amazing to follow Andrew's progression through the world of mandolin acquisition and to see his songwriting and playing unfold over the years. He is truly a master of the musical arts.
    Stiver F5 #366
    Kopp K-35 Braz
    Huss & Dalton TD-M Custom
    1935 Martin 00-17
    HD-28E Retro

Default Re: Mandolin Orange Information

Sorry I can't help locate the EP, but they are featured in the latest issue of the
    Fretboard Journal.

3. The following members say thank you to Hockey Puck for this post:

Trich 

Blog Entries

I don't have the info requested, but wanted to chime in that I too am a fan. We are eagerly awaiting a July concert in our area to which we have tickets.

5. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

Trich 

Don't know the answer, either. Possibly, try contacting the band or label through their website?

I had considered that. If I'm not mistaken, the only contact information on their site is for booking.
    Stiver F5 #366
    Kopp K-35 Braz
    1935 Martin 00-17
    HD-28E Retro

My guess is that it was an early version of Quiet Little Room, which they self-produced about that time. You could ask Andrew on his site andrewmarlin.com. He also pops in here from time to time.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kevin Winn For This Useful Post:

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Free Concert June 15, 7:30pm. Pittsburgh 3 Rivers Art Festival. I’m on the road in our RV but trying to fit in a trip home to take it in.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

11. The following members say thank you to Pittsburgh Bill for this post:

Trich 

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Bill View Post
    Free Concert June 15, 7:30pm. Pittsburgh 3 Rivers Art Festival. I’m on the road in our RV but trying to fit in a trip home to take it in.
    Yep! I'm just south of Pittsburgh in WV but unfortunately cannot make it
    Stiver F5 #366
    Kopp K-35 Braz
    1935 Martin 00-17
    HD-28E Retro

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Made it home for an overnight to catch Mandolin Orange on the main stage at Three Rivers Art Festival.The show was worth every minute and expense for the 300 mile detour home.
    Great seeing new (young) artists coming up to replace the greats we are slowly or maybe not so slowly loosing to time.
    Two of my favorit young acts are Mandolin Orange and as of a concert I attended in July of 2018 Billy Strings..
    Many people attending the Mandolin Orange performance had no idea who they were coming to see (it is free). I'm certain many of them left the show at it's conclusion as fans.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

14. The following members say thank you to Pittsburgh Bill for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trich View Post
    I have every album from mandolin orange and have wore out nearly every concert and video they have on YouTube. I have also had the pleasure of seeing them live several times. My question has to do with a particular concert from 2010 if I remember correctly. They are playing at a place called Berkeley Cafe. The video can easily be found on youtube. Unfortunately I have not be able to figure out how to post the link.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Bump^

Still seeking out this early Mandolin Orange album. I have continued the search and even contacted their management. I also sent Andrew an email with understandably no response. No one I have talked to so far can help me out. This album is on amazon but it is no longer available. Does any of the cafe members have this album or know where to find it? Help out a Mandolin Orange mega fan!

Thanks,
    Tyler
    Stiver F5 #366
    Kopp K-35 Braz
    1935 Martin 00-17
    HD-28E Retro

Still don't know how to get one of these. Saw the listing on Amazon and it is definitely not one that I've seen. Please update this thread if you find one. I'll try to get some info as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Winn View Post
    Still don't know how to get one of these. Saw the listing on Amazon and it is definitely not one that I've seen. Please update this thread if you find one. I'll try to get some info as well.
    Will do, I appreciate it. I'm actually working on a lead as we speak.
    Stiver F5 #366
    Kopp K-35 Braz
    1935 Martin 00-17
    HD-28E Retro

Update on my lead for the cd.

I found a journalist that mentioned the album in an online article. I emailed her and asked if I could get a copy of the cd from her. She declined to do so. She stated that she could not in good conscious send me the album because she was under the impression that if the cd is not available, than perhaps Andrew and Emily want to keep it that way. I fully respect her decision, however, I feel that if it was once available to the public that the band would not have reservations against fans acquiring it. Disappointing to say the least.

The hunt continues I guess!
    Stiver F5 #366
    Kopp K-35 Braz
    1935 Martin 00-17
    HD-28E Retro

Might take a few emails, but how about some of the mega used record stores that advertise on eBay with 50,000 listings? Most of those stores have 20X that amount not listed. Or, maybe they are organized and can locate it within their own inventory search.....

Or maybe they sold some after the show in Berkeley -- how about emailing some Berkeley used record stores? That's what the blues record collectors do -- they drive to Mississippi and hunt around where the musicians lived and performed....

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Might take a few emails, but how about some of the mega used record stores that advertise on eBay with 50,000 listings? Most of those stores have 20X that amount not listed. Or, maybe they are organized and can locate it within their own inventory search.....

Or maybe they sold some after the show in Berkeley -- how about emailing some Berkeley used record stores? That's what the blues record collectors do -- they drive to Mississippi and hunt around where the musicians lived and performed....
    I have certainly looked on ebay but I never thought about calling or emailing some smaller/local record stores. Thanks for the advice!
    Stiver F5 #366
    Kopp K-35 Braz
    1935 Martin 00-17
    HD-28E Retro

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trich View Post
    I have certainly looked on ebay but I never thought about calling or emailing some smaller/local record stores. Thanks for the advice!
    You might try these folks in Denver. Not small by any stretch. But have an exhaustive inventory of CDs and vinyl from indies to majors. Very helpful staff, too.

https://www.twistandshout.com/

A person who likes CDs in just about any genre can literally spend an entire day in there.

Perhaps there are some used record shops in the Chapel Hill/Durham area?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Winn View Post
    Perhaps there are some used record shops in the Chapel Hill/Durham area?
    So, I spent the majority of the afternoon calling every record shop I could find in North Carolina. I also called about 10 of the major record shops around the country. No luck whatsoever.
    Stiver F5 #366
    Kopp K-35 Braz
    1935 Martin 00-17
    HD-28E Retro

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Have you tried Jerry Brown at the Rubber Room, a recording studio in Chapel Hill where the CD was recorded? Just a thought; he might have some info if you catch him when he's not working.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post
    Have you tried Jerry Brown at the Rubber Room, a recording studio in Chapel Hill where the CD was recorded? Just a thought; he might have some info if you catch him when he's not working.
    I will try to get ahold of him. Thanks for the info.
    Stiver F5 #366
    Kopp K-35 Braz
    1935 Martin 00-17
    HD-28E Retro