Thread: Calton Cases

Default Calton Cases

These days built in Austin TX with some new improvements and ascetics. I have one for my mando from early 2000. It's a great case that looks as good as new, mainly because of the Small Dog Case Cover

However, i mostly have their cases for guitars and wanted to share some of the more recent colors and finish options. This first post is my mando and Calton Case - posts to follow will just feature my other cases to show anyone who may be interested what the new cases are like.

thanks,
    dale

Default Re: Calton Cases

I have a very early First Quality Calton made in Canada. It has the same blue interior, tho white speckled outside, and looks identical to yours. Great fit for my A too.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Just got an Austin built Calton made for my tenor banjo - it's awesome!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

thanks for the posts...great to hear about your cases! I remember First Quality - i'm a KY guy and could occasionally visit their shop. Before they closed they had big mark downs on inventory and i bought my first AER amp from them. Let's add a little color to the Calton conversation...here's a new Teal Splatter guitar case I just received..

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maplebaby For This Useful Post:

I remember First Quality, great store. And that's a gorgeous guitar case. Here's my old black out/wine red in custom-made behemoth, built by Al up in Canada some years back. The face plate read ASK BEFORE YOU OPEN (elicited by an over-eager fan-boy).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0477.JPG 
Views:	152 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	177371  

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    I remember First Quality, great store. And that's a gorgeous guitar case. Here's my old black out/wine red in custom-made behemoth, built by Al up in Canada some years back. The face plate read ASK BEFORE YOU OPEN (elicited by an over-eager fan-boy).
    hello Alan...thanks for your post sir and being willing share this pic! That's a sweet case with plenty of storage it looks like - beautiful mando too sir!

Yes, it was a queen-sized bed for the mandolin, a '23 Loar. It fit perfectly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0466.JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	177373  

9. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    Yes, it was a queen-sized bed for the mandolin, a '23 Loar. It fit perfectly.
    wow...amazing!

Here's is another queen size (UK-) Calton made in the early '90s:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1804.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	330.8 KB 
ID:	177409

It's a similar shell to Alan's, but with different layout - French, if you will:

Name:	IMG_1802.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	573.0 KB 
ID:	177410

The case originally came without any neck support whatsoever, very funny approach for a professional heavy duty F5-case. As I was concerned about knocking off the head stock scroll or even the whole head stock, Keith Calton sent me some of the lining material for me to make some padding for the neck; has worked well over the past years.

Name:	IMG_1803.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	839.3 KB 
ID:	177414

I wonder why protecting the head stock scroll seems to have never been part of the Calton concept. The bass side hs scroll has never been a problem, since the mandolin - when the case is dropped - has the tendency to turn clockwise, never anti-clockwise. Why all Caltons still center the instrument in the case, is beyond me.
    Last edited by Hendrik Ahrend; Jun-10-2019 at 8:23am.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hendrik Ahrend For This Useful Post:

very cool case...thanks sharing!