Thread: Vega Repair

Default Vega Repair

I believe this is a 202 style. The tailpiece is missing the lockdown and a string snapped when trying to tune. Can this be repaired? Anyone in New York City or Long area you would recommend?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1151.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	713.7 KB 
ID:	177315   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1150.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	466.7 KB 
ID:	177316  

Default Re: Vega Repair

I have no idea what you are referring to as a lock down but it is missing a screw that goes there. Any luthier could fix that. Try contacting Retrofret in Brooklyn. If they can't do it they will be able to tell you who to see.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Maybe the poster is unfamiliar with how that tailpiece cover attaches? It pulls straight up when the instrument is lying on its back. That reveals where the string loops attach to the tailpiece so that you can replace strings.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

Thanks Brad,

I figured that out from some You Tube videos. My main concern is that missing screw. Was it stripped out? Is it literally just threaded into the body? Is this something I can simply replace myself?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1159.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	396.4 KB 
ID:	177319   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1160.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	467.9 KB 
ID:	177320  

Yes, if you have a screw of the same size put it in. If it is a little loose or won't tighten up insert a toothpick in the hole and then screw in your screw. You want to have a screw that will go thru the hole in the tailpiece, most likely a slot head screw would be most appropriate.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoul View Post
    ...My main concern is that missing screw. Was it stripped out? Is it literally just threaded into the body? Is this something I can simply replace myself?
    If you have some mechanical skills, you can do this yourself. Start by putting a couple bits of 'low stick' masking tape on the top, and marking the position of the bridge. (it will come loose when you take off all those dead old strings) Now take off those old worn out strings and buy a couple of new sets of 'light' mandolin strings (one to put on and one spare). Then take out one of the two screws that are holding the tailpiece in place. What you're looking for is another one of those! Be sure that there is NOT a broken screw in the hole where the missing screw goes, and if not - put your NEW screw in there. Put the new strings on. Once you have tension on them, take off the masking tape. Don't leave tape on the top more than a few hours or even less so that it does not affect the finish.

If all this sounds at all intimidating, get an experienced mandolin player to help you out. That's a nice instrument and it'll sound so much better with new strings.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

Awesome! Not at all intimidated. Will give it a try once I get some new light strings. So that missing screw would be the same as the other two holding the tail piece on? Same length?

The screw might have been larger if someone put a strap button on it. That's pretty common on these Waverly Cloud tailpieces. Get some wood glue (not superglue) and some round tooth picks and fill the hole a bit. You might need two or even three if the hole is large. Put glue on the tooth pick and put it in the screw hole. Again, you may need more than one. Then screw the new screw into place. The hardwood tooth pick will compress to the sides of the hole and coupled with the glue will heal the hole a bit so the screw will hold.

As far as the strap button possibility, look at this thread. At least you'll know what I'm talking about.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Blog Entries

First I thought he meant that one of the string tines on the base was busted off-there are many for sale on evilbay but just the missing bottom screw, easy repair, just follow the above recommendations! Nice mandolin!

Thanks everyone. This seems totally doable. One question is it seems the plate is under a lot of tension to reach the body of the instrument. Is there any danger in taking off all the strings to relieve tension and also facilitate a good cleaning? I know with guitars with truss rods you shouldn't have the neck without some tension.

Brad detailed marking where the bridge was and removing the strings above. You also need to make sure you have the bass side identified so the bridge orientation is right. You should remove the strings to do the repair.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

12. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoul View Post
    Thanks everyone. This seems totally doable. One question is it seems the plate is under a lot of tension to reach the body of the instrument. Is there any danger in taking off all the strings to relieve tension and also facilitate a good cleaning? I know with guitars with truss rods you shouldn't have the neck without some tension.
    There shouldn’t be a problem taking all the strings off - it there is there must be something wrong with the mandolin. Don’t listen to the, so called, guitar “experts” about leaving some tension on a guitar neck; they’re talking rubbish. How can you possibly work on an instrument which still has it’s strings on?!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ray(T) For This Useful Post:

OK, so I went to local Sam Ash picked up a Light set of strings and got a screw for the tailpiece from the tech and it tightened up well. Upon installing the new strings when I got to the 5th string the screw that was missing originally popped out. Does it need to be drilled and dowle'd?

Teacher, repair person

Use a toothpick in the hole. A round toothpick works better. It is probably not necessary to use a drill.

Cut about 1/16" off the end of the toothpick, wet it with some wood glue, insert it in the screw hole, and clip it to length. For best results, let it sit for a couple of hours before you put the screw back in.

Just fix it with the toothpick trick that has been described three times I think. Loosen the strings when you do it.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Let the glue dry before tuning to pitch.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett