Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ashokan Farewell Tabs anyone?

Default Re: Ashokan Farewell Tabs anyone?

Yeah, you know, I get that. I really do. All the guy wanted to do is play a song. But unfortunately he was pointed to a resource that had a free distribution copy that in my opinion shouldn’t exist. The number of people who think that tune is public domain is mind boggling. Likewise the number of people who know it’s copyrighted but just don’t care. In my opinion it doesn’t belong in our archives. Here is a quote from the tab archive of our beloved Cafe’.

“The music provided here is mostly in the public domain. We attempt to avoid free versions of music that might be in publication for sale by an artist or a company representing an artist.”

This to me shows without a doubt that the owner of our site is aware of the issue and he does his best to avoid legal problems. But this statement does not constitute a guarantee that everything in the archive is legally distributed. That burden is on the user.

My purpose was not to hijack a thread from someone who “just wants to play a song”. Or to get on some soapbox, even if it may seem that way. I just can’t for the life of me figure out why so many people think they can pick and choose what laws they will abide by and which ones they won’t. You would think musicians would be especially sensitive about intellectual property issues. If a foreign county steals our intellectual property, that’s awful, let’s punish them with tariffs. But there’s a copyrighted song that I want, so I’ll just get it for free off an online tab library, and that’s ok, right? Because, after all, it’s just music, it’s really pretty, and I want it. So that justifies it. But the OP did the right thing and paid for the authorized version. Would it break any one of you to just pay Mel Bay 9.95 like your supposed to?

It doesn’t appear like I’m changing any attitudes here, and nobody on the other side of this has presented me with any good arguments that cause me to change mine either. So we’re just wasting time I guess. Don, out, and I really mean it this time.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

2. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

Blog Entries

Asheville Celtic Mandolin Blog and Tablature Resource.
    www.AshevilleMandolin.com
    The Asheville Celtic Mandolin Collection: Standard Notation, Tablature and Chords for the Celtic Mandolin https://a.co/d/2KaJwBq "] - Tablature, Standard Notation & Chords to 50 Celtic/Irish Tunes.
    Hurdy Gurdy Music - https://youtube.com/@TheHurdyGurdyWi...nCX2BHJY7jCVM4
    The Mud Larks - Hurdy Gurdy and Nyckelharpa - https://the-mudlarks.com/

I cast my vote with Mulitdon. I will also add that the tune is not that hard to learn by ear as it is slow and suitable for beginner/intermediate level. If you need the TAB or standard notation then purchase it like you would buy anything else you need from the store.

6. The following members say thank you to Hudmister for this post:

I was kind of getting back into the tune, hadn't played it in years and was trying to commit to memory, but all this has turned my stomach and so I will put it to the side once again.

If I hear a song from a recording I did not purchase and replay that song in my head from memory, do I still owe the copyright holder( not necessarily the composer or performer) a fee ?
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"