Thread: Older Find

Default Older Find

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7A4449DB-120F-47D4-AB9A-5BC214637B04.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	575.7 KB 
ID:	177300Curious if anyone can help me out with this. The tuner posts seem unusually small. “Factory Second” is engraved on the back of the headstock, but interrupted by a drill hole. Any help appreciated.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2E927A4D-09C5-4095-86AD-53BCE071E469.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	553.7 KB 
ID:	177299

Default Re: Older Find

I bought some Waverly tuners that had smaller diameter posts - from the 1920s. I would assume that your mandolin- was probably made by Regal is late 20s or early 30s. I think the smaller diameter tuner post tuners are seen more on banjolins but were used on mandolins as well. If your mandolin is not a Regal, then it is a Harmony but a lean to the former maker and assume it was retailed by one of the many third parties active back then.

Thanks for the info. Was it common for one of these lower end brands to offer a factory second?

The tuner posts look pretty normal to me from the pictures. This same model was made by both Harmony and Regal for decades. I'd take it to be from the Late 20's/30's. I've never seen one stamped Factory Second. I'm surprised by that because these weren't stellar instruments to begin with.

Banjolins generally had shorter posts not thinner posts.
    "Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them". These are the words of J. Garber.

I bought some Waverly tuners from a banjolin and they are both shorter and thinner than what I have on other mandolins. The seller had advertised they were off a mandolin but when I questioned which mandolin type, I was told they were from a banjolin. I don't have a measuring device other than an adjustable spanner and that clearly shows the posts to be less wide than other Waverly tuners on my mandolins. Previously, I had bought Waverly tuners that were advertised as being from a banjolin and they are exactly the same width as on my mandolins. My message is to be mindful that tuner posts may be less wide if off a banjolin. Here is a photo of the tuners with the narrow diameter posts. I don't think they look obviously narrower in the photo Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600 (29).jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	187.5 KB 
ID:	177313but as soon as they arrived, I knew they were wrong.

Blog Entries

NickR-I've bought many of those Waverly tuners that came on budget banjolins-they are the same for say 1923-24 Gibson mandolins just change out the posts with period posts! A lot of those banjolins didn't really get played as there were loads made so the gears aren't worn out-they make great Loar era tuners!?!

William Smith. Yes, that's why I bought them to stick on my A2 which is 1923. I am taking them to my mandolin man tonight for his opinion. My question is, are the holes in the plates narrower- or do the posts sit on top of the plates? I ask because I have been unable to get the gears off the posts and do not want to damage them. I was hoping to do what you suggest- that means buying more old tuners- one hopes with decent gears unless I can use these gears and just get the posts. I have no idea why the gears will not come off the posts but I have learned not to go crazy!

Soak them in penetrating oil. The screw should come out.
    "Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them". These are the words of J. Garber.

Mike, my mandolin/guitar man has tapped the posts out after undoing the screws which was not a problem- he has given me the necessary items to do this but has cautioned against hitting too hard with the punch! If I find some longer wider posts he will fit them -assuming the thread is the same where they mate with the gears. He did say he would machine and thread the posts, if necessary. So, it's back to searching for more bits! I should be able to do the job myself ( if no machining is involved) but I have learned to defer to the expert, when in doubt. He has made me a fabulous repro pickguard for my Wards Model 1642 mandolin- complete with the white edging - he has copied the rotted original which still had its perimeter intact- the edging had turned yellow with age.