Thread: ASIA Symposium 2019 mandolin building workshops

Default ASIA Symposium 2019 mandolin building workshops

The Association of String Instrument Artisans 2019 Symposium at East Stroudsburg State University (in East Stroudsburg, Pa.) is coming up the third week of this month. In addition to hundreds of great builders, suppliers, and workshops across the spectrum of instrument making, there are some nice mandolin specific activities happening.

I checked in with Bear Acker, who runs the event. Don MacRostie will be the main speaker for Thursday night, June 20. He brings a lifetime of great mandolin building and decades of work with Stew Mac. Most of us know his Red Diamond mandolins as fantastic instruments and 1000s of people have successfully used his mandolin plans and tools over the years. Don is a whole lot of fun, generous with his information, and likes to pick a few tunes.

There will be several more workshops on finishing, cnc use + application, and plenty of guitar building.

On Saturday the 22, I'll be giving a live demonstration of my 15 minute mandolin dovetail system + jigs. After that, a live mandolin voicing demonstration featuring the removable plate tuning jig system featured on the cover of American Lutherie, as demonstrated in previous Guild of American Luthiers conventions, and well discussed here in several threads. I'll also have the finished mandolin that I voiced at the GAL workshop with me so you can hear and play the finished results using this system.

Here is a link for more information:
    https://www.asiartisans.org/content/

It looks to be a great week of information, laughter, and music. I hope to see many of you there. Make sure to say hello and play a few tunes....

j. condino
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	American Lutherie Condino cover #2.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	177209  

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to j. condino For This Useful Post:

Default Re: ASIA Symposium 2019 mandolin building workshops

'Had a fantastic week: learned a lot, met a ton of cool new friends, brought back some great tonewoods from the vendors at killer prices, played music every day for about six hours, saw great workshops, gave great workshops, and had a blast nerding out with Don and crew like we were a couple of old school buddies...1000 thanks to all who put on the event and to everyone who came and supported it!

j.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to j. condino For This Useful Post:

Default Re: ASIA Symposium 2019 mandolin building workshops

this looked very interesting, so , if this is an annual event, I would like to consider going ext year. thanks
    Mike Marrs