Thread: You did WHAT to your BC?

Default You did WHAT to your BC?

Superglued 120 grit sandpaper to half the surface, as I've gripped the pick lighter and lighter in search of tone, and slipping pick syndrome has run rampant.

Works great, particularly with the paper on thumb side. Resale value likely plummeted. Or should I start a retrofit survace? Only $10.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Default Re: You did WHAT to your BC?

That’s an interesting mod. I tend to go for a firmish grip. What does a lighter grip do tone wise?
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

I find if you just moisten your thumb and or finger,the b.c.'s don't really slip hardly at all,they have a kind of adherence.

4. The following members say thank you to T.D.Nydn for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

You are in good company, if memory serves, both Les Paul and Eddie Vedder glue / ed a bit of sand paper to their picks. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

I like to use Monster Grips, small circles of textured soft plastic that have a sticky back. I like them on the thumb side. Been using them for several years and they work great.

Jack

https://www.monstergrips.com/

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JCook For This Useful Post:

ajhBr1ckEric Platt 

I find in slower more delicate passages, you get a softer, more resonant tone with a light attack, plus my thumb in particular has taken a beating over the years as the body falls apart. I also play better the more relaxed everything is and it is hard for me to relax my wrist when gripping tightly. I don't play with very much tip protruding from my fingers and was finding more and more, it was retracting to the point my fingers were hitting the strings. Anyway, the sandpaper fixed things and nail polish remover will remove any glue residue if I tire of it.

I take a razor blade or xacto knife and crosshatch my Weden picks as rough as I can.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Practice using more pick exposed, it will make a tone change and allow the pick to flex more in your hand. I have been trying to change from the same slight pick exposed to more and help my thumb out as you are. Washing the BC with soap and water when it looses it's it tack will make it feel grippy again.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

BC's generally don't flex AFAIK. I favor light playing and also use similar technique. It pulls out a wonderful tone that shines through a mic or pickup, but less power acoustically. The ability to vary the grip on a stiff pick allows great tonal control.

Bigger picks (or exposing a lot of tip) don't work for that kind of soft playing for me. They just end up slapping against the strings.

Pick wander has't been a problem for me yet, but if I needed to increase grip I would. :-)

I lay a Wegen on top of mine and Mark where a few holes are and drill some holes in them. works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by UsuallyPickin View Post
    You are in good company, if memory serves, both Les Paul and Eddie Vedder glue / ed a bit of sand paper to their picks. R/
    I think it was Van Halen, I remember trying to google this story but couldn't find a source, i think it's when LP and EVH met for the first time they both pulled out picks w/sandpaper on them and it was from Guitar player or guitar world interview w/EVJ

Anyway, you can get adhesive backed sandppaer and put thin strips on your picks if you think that helps and if not, can be easily removed w/some Goo gone/goof off type citrus cleaner.
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

Quote Originally Posted by JCook View Post
    I like to use Monster Grips, small circles of textured soft plastic that have a sticky back. I like them on the thumb side. Been using them for several years and they work great.

Jack

https://www.monstergrips.com/
    I wrap the Monster Grips over the rear edge (away from the picking end). Been using them quite awhile now with great results. Never have had to clean them.

The sandpaper is working splendidly. Sacrificed the rounded tip, but I never use it anyway. If it gets worn or ratty, I'll just scrape it off and do it again.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1