Thread: Opinion on strings for Godin A8

Default Opinion on strings for Godin A8

Hello Mandolin Cafe users,

I recently acquired Godin A8 mandolin. This instrument is great. However, the action is a bit too high for my liking, even with the adjustable bridge set to its minimum level. I know this topic has been previously covered here, with some folks recommending using lighter gauge strings (i.e. 0.010's). However, I tried tuning all my strings (0.011's) down one step (FFCCGGDD), which resulted in a darker tone and a significant improvement in playability. Granted, with this tuning, one can no longer play tunes with the same fingering unless the intent is to play the same tune in a different key, but I found the new range perfect for jazz and rock. I was wondering if anyone had any input regarding this topic, or if anyone has any experience playing a mandolin tuned this way.

Cheers.

Default Re: Opinion on strings for Godin A8

I have an older model with the fixed bridge. I took the neck off and found a piece of folded sandpaper as a shim under it. Folded some aluminum foil a little thicker than the sandpaper to raise the neck/lower the action. So easy to play now. Mostly use the Martin bluegrass SP strings on mine.

Thanks Rodney. Was it fairly easy to remove the and reinstall it? How much did you raise it without strings buzzing?

I find the lack of a movable bridge limits my string options on my Godin, unless I don't mind it being out of tune as I move up the neck.

In the spirit of being helpful, I suspect that similar tension strings could be ok. Curious how it works out.
    Last edited by kurth83; Jun-03-2019 at 7:51pm.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

Quote Originally Posted by SRNassif View Post
    Thanks Rodney. Was it fairly easy to remove the and reinstall it? How much did you raise it without strings buzzing?
    Bolt on neck is real easy to do this type of changes. When I changed the shim. Put too much under first time, so had to redo it. I didn’t do any measuring, just jumped in trial and error style. Lucked out, after removing some of the foil from my first attempt. It is so easy to fret now with no buzzing at all.

Need to start documenting string size/12th fret intonation. So far it has always been flat when I check it. By keeping track of different string sets. Maybe I can find a set/size where the intonation is closer to being “on”.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Riley View Post
    Bolt on neck is real easy to do this type of changes. When I changed the shim. Put too much under first time, so had to redo it. I didn’t do any measuring, just jumped in trial and error style. Lucked out, after removing some of the foil from my first attempt. It is so easy to fret now with no buzzing at all.

Need to start documenting string size/12th fret intonation. So far it has always been flat when I check it. By keeping track of different string sets. Maybe I can find a set/size where the intonation is closer to being “on”.
    I think I will try that. Do you remeber how many layers of foil you have in? I read that some people use one business card and gets the job done.

Sorry I didn’t measure it. Sandpaper that was under originally was folded twice. So three layers of the paper. Just eyeballing the foil, was about twice that thick.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Riley View Post
    Sorry I didn’t measure it. Sandpaper that was under originally was folded twice. So three layers of the paper. Just eyeballing the foil, was about twice that thick.
    I tried the shim trick last night and it worked great. I used a piece from a pack of medicine (folded to four layers), and now the mando feels great. Thanks for the suggestion!

Great. Enjoy the the little beast. I have 3 other mandolins. But my Godin is the workhorse. Use it every Sunday unless the song set like a few weeks ago had 2 mandocello songs and 3 cello songs in it.

I do think, however, that for the time being, I will keep the cajun tuning (FFCCGGDD). I think it opens up tonal possibilities and makes it easier to play certain scales (like F minor). I will be using this mandolin mostly for jazz and rock. Will see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by SRNassif View Post
    I do think, however, that for the time being, I will keep the cajun tuning (FFCCGGDD). I think it opens up tonal possibilities and makes it easier to play certain scales (like F minor). I will be using this mandolin mostly for jazz and rock. Will see how it goes.
    Well since you are a musician, you can do this. Me, I just play music. Would take a good book with chord diagrams and a couple months to play in a different tuning for me.