Thread: Schertler DYN-M problems

Default Schertler DYN-M problems

Been using the Schertler DYN-M for a few years now through the church sound system and getting what sounds to me like pretty good tone. I have the Schertler preamp but it doesn't seem to work, so I just run it through a channel on the Rane MAP33.

But I took it on the road last week for an out-of-town gig, same setup, and through the venue's sound system it produced a horrible feedbackish quacking sound. Minus a whole lot of time to troubleshoot, I asked the tech to set up an SM57 and used that for the gig.

The venue in question, Portland's Century Ballroom, reportedly has a very nice Bose sound system, so I doubt inferior system gear is the issue. And I haven't been back to church to see if the same problem arises there, although I'll certainly let the church's tech know about this the next time I play. And maybe this weekend I'll see if I can reproduce the problem at home through a guitar amp.

Maybe next time I play elsewhere I'll need to take a Rigel or Godin as a backup mandolin.

Anyone had problems with a Schertler that works fine through one sound system and badly through another?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Question Re: Schertler DYN-M problems

No, * But the feedback, of course, could be mechanical ...

Monitor speaker inducing air pressure waves, ringing the top, like a spruce microphone diaphragm.

* my history only part of the music biz which likes me is buying gear..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Default Re: Schertler DYN-M problems

Many years ago I played with my schertler in front of one of those bose towers (when they had just come out) and I had a ton of issues... I knew little at the time to figure it out, but my volume could never be above a whisper without feedback. Super noisy stage, no EQ on anything, it was horrible. Never played there again, so they must not have liked me either!

My recent experience with playing in bars (and one failed attempt to use my schertler) makes me think they just aren’t designed to handle the loud stage volumes normally associated with rock bands.

I guess what I am saying is the schertler isn’t always the best choice, but in those settings neither would an SM 57?
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

I should've been bold and asked for a shotgun condenser mic! I had just gotten the DPA4099 in the mail and forgot to put it in the car for the gig. Would have been a great time to give it a try.

There's another club right below the Century Ballroom and a loud heavy metal band started up there shortly after we started, so our little folk trio had bigger problems than me trying to play through a 57.
    Last edited by mrmando; Jul-01-2019 at 1:52am.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

When I used a Schertler I had to take the tone guard off so the back of the mandolin rested against my stomach or it would feedback quickly. Even then it was temperamental.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!