Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seagull S8 Owners Thread

Default Re: Seagull S8 Owners Thread

I've been playing one for around 10 months now. It took me a long time to decide between the S8 and a cheap bowlback. I bought it for playing baroque and classical music. The looks attracted me to it more than the sound. The action was set very high and with low frets I found playing it to be uncomfortable. I said to the shop I'd buy it if they could lower the action and it felt good to play (if it still didn't feel good I would be under no obligation to buy) and they agreed to do it. I changed the strings to some TI medium flats which feel and sound so much better than the stock strings. The sustain is a double-edged sword: some pieces of music, particularly those written for other instruments but suited to the mandolin (e.g. El Noi de la Mare) sound better using a blend of double stops and single picks, allowing some notes to ring, rather than employing a tremolo technique. Whereas other pieces would benefit from a faster decay, bearing in mind that baroque and classical for mandolin was written for an instrument exhibiting that quintessential quality. The low frets are no longer an issue since the shop did do a top job of filing the saddle down (I would have messed it up for sure!), but I would have preferred higher frets to a low saddle. I'm sure I'll get a bowlback at some point but I'll wait til I'm a competent player first.

My first message... hope I'm in the right place. I've had my Seagull S8 fora month now. I really like it. I also have a rustic 1918 Martin which has seen better days. For the Seagull S8, I was advised lighter strings would be better for me being a beginner (I'm a bass player). Godin/Seagull told me the original strings are Cleartone .011-.040. So I bought a lighter set but had an extremely hard time changing the set. Unless I'm missing something, the tail piece appears to be one piece, with what seems to be a blacka mute pad underneath. I don't see that there's a cover to remove to make things easy .... I hope I'm wrong! Trying to hook the string loop on the tail piece hooks was murder without bending the strings....and trying to get the strings to lay in the right spot under the mute pad to space the strings properly before the bridge, also frustrating. Any tips? Anyone else have issues changing strings on the S8? Thanks!
    Last edited by Murray986; Feb-12-2020 at 4:31pm. Reason: Not done. Hit button by mistake

Yes, I must admit that I don't like changing the strings on the S8. I don't think there is any alternative to bending the strings, and giving the string a good tug to help it grip once you've managed to hook it on.
    David A. Gordon

I put new strings on my recently reacquired Flatrion 1N yesterday and had an extra set of GHS A250 strings so I decided to try them on my S8. I had D'addario J73s on before and I like the light strings even though the S8 is built like a tank and can easily handle J74s. I must say I really like the sound and the feel of the GHS A250s.

I purchased the natural S8 a few months ago. Action was too high for me so I carefully pulled off bridge saddle and lowered it by sanding it down. Now it is perfect. I get generally positive reactions when people see it. Frets are smaller than my other mandos but I have become accustomed to them now. Build quality is very good and you get a good instrument for a reasonable price. It sounds loud and it is bright. I made a short video comparing the S8 with two of my other mandolins and it is on the forum entitled "three mandolin sound test" or you can click link below:

https://youtu.be/PGGphIU5Nf8
    Last edited by PH-Mando; Jul-06-2020 at 7:53am.

7. The following members say thank you to PH-Mando for this post: