Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ellis A5?

Default Re: Ellis A5?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Growth View Post
    One of my favorite Mandos in Nashville that I played very recently is a 2016 Ellis A5. It is exceptional.
    Agreed. Played that one the other day. Definitely a strong one!

Geoff, did you happen to play any of those Gil F5s at Carter’s?
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    I would like to one day. Maybe it’s strange, but haven’t been able to bring myself to pick up a mandolin that expensive. I usually go during lunch and it’s typically quite crowded in that room. Kinda scared of bumping into someone or something.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    I'm not Geoff, but I played all three Gils at Carter's several weeks ago. All were nice, but the Gil Fern on consignment was outstanding with regard to low end and chop. Had a slightly more sleek neck also. Sounded & felt good. I negotiated but when all was said & done (and NC tax added) it remained out of my budget.

Fortunately I'm still very happy with my herd and kinda glad I didn't end up having to sell any of them to buy.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phil Goodson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Brock View Post
    I'm hoping to be able to buy a step-up mandolin this summer and am looking at about a $5k limit. My short list (at the moment) is a Northfield F5S or Big Mon, a Sorensen AX (but I'm not sure I can wait a year or more for a build), or a Kimble A5 or 2-point. (Of these, I've only played a Kimble A5. I'm mostly relying on specs, reviews, and advice from this forum.)

I keep running across strong recommendations for the Ellis A5. How does it compare to the above mandolins? If I have to push up to the $6k range, how would the Ellis compare to other $6k mandolins like the Northfield Artist (I do love the f-body mandolins)?
    I bought my Northfield Big Mon in 2015 after hearing several at the Mandolin Symposium. I love this mandolin (and it's the one I much preferred of the two I tried out at the Acoustic Music Company in Brighton, here in the UK). So, I too would never consider buying an instrument without comparing it to others! I later bought a s/h Ellis A5 Deluxe (No 215-10), again in Brighton and was amazed by its tone and playability. It impressed me more than the new Ellis F5 they had in stock. Despite the beauty of the latter, I would never exchange them, despite the difference in price. Although I still love my Big Mon, it is the Ellis that I choose to play when I'm out with the band I play in. It's just something about it's tone that makes me feel 'that's exactly how I want to sound!' BTW at Swannanoa in 2016 I compared my Big Mon to a gorgeous looking Northfield Artist Series - again, I was not tempted.

7. The following members say thank you to PhilipR for this post: