Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Place to Sell aside From Classifieds

Blog Entries

Default Best Place to Sell aside From Classifieds

Any thoughts on best place to sell an instrument aside from classifieds? I'd be up to taking a trip to Nasheville or Elderly.

Possibly aiming to sell an octave and a tenor banjo.
    Asheville Celtic Mandolin Blog and Tablature Resource.
    www.AshevilleMandolin.com
    The Asheville Celtic Mandolin Collection: Standard Notation, Tablature and Chords for the Celtic Mandolin https://a.co/d/2KaJwBq "] - Tablature, Standard Notation & Chords to 50 Celtic/Irish Tunes.
    Hurdy Gurdy Music - https://youtube.com/@TheHurdyGurdyWi...nCX2BHJY7jCVM4
    The Mud Larks - Hurdy Gurdy and Nyckelharpa - https://the-mudlarks.com/

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Best Place to Sell aside From Classifieds

Well .... selling to any store is going to net a lower figure in your pocket. But then I expect you know that. Check out the Reverb site. R/

https://reverb.com/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

3 options. Selling to a store will get you a quick sale, but probably only 50-70 percent of used retail. If you consign to a store, it takes more time but you will get more money. Selling yourself gets you the most money, but it is also the most work and takes the longest.

Blog Entries

Where do you all scope out boxes for shipping if you do it on your own?? I don't live around anymore big music stores anymore.
    The Asheville Celtic Mandolin Collection: Standard Notation, Tablature and Chords for the Celtic Mandolin https://a.co/d/2KaJwBq "] - Tablature, Standard Notation & Chords to 50 Celtic/Irish Tunes.

I don’t sell much anymore, and when I do I try to sell locally to avoid shipping. But when I was shipping, I just used the boxes from Instruments I bought to replace the ones I was selling!

Some music stores might have boxes they would be willing to give you. Also it is not too difficult to modify standard shipping boxes by cutting and taping them. Shipping places do it all the time. You can even splice two boxes together if the box needs to be longer. In any case, I recommend using boxes with a very high crush rating.

In my opinion Reverb has become the de facto standard marketplace for buying and selling instruments. It works pretty well IMO.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Narayan Kersak View Post
    Where do you all scope out boxes for shipping if you do it on your own?? I don't live around anymore big music stores anymore.
    Be advised that shipping costs have skyrocketed over the last few years.

As far as consignment, the usual fee is 20%.
    Last edited by Steve Ostrander; May-30-2019 at 11:56am. Reason: Typo
    Living’ in the Mitten

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

Reverb sells shipping boxes; without looking at their site, I believe they’re $35 for a pack of three.

UPS Stores will also package an instrument for you. You can include the packaging and shipping costs in your price.

And of course, if you happen to be traveling in an area that has a music retailer (independent or chain store), you might be able to coax them to give you some of the boxes that their inventory was shipped in.

If you choose to ship an instrument, the most important part of the equation is ensuring that the instrument is well-packed to prevent headstock whiplash as well as impact damage. Not sure about the Café but the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum has some pretty good guidance on how best to package an instrument.

Just a couple of additional items to consider: I’ve seen music schools, independent music retailers, and community colleges with a bulletin board for posting instruments for sale. And try to gauge the market value of your instruments; not too low but not too high either. Perusing Reverb pricing should give you some ballpark ideas of what to ask for your instruments.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Whatever type of instrument you are selling, if you have a decent case for that instrument, no "special" box is required. Just a good, sturdy box that is a bit larger than the case, and good packing materials. In the past 6 months, I began selling most of my instruments and had to ship a dozen guitars over a three month period. I used boxes from the music stores as well as home made boxes to fit.

I looked into using a box from one of the popular mail/shipping services on one instrument, but I just couldn't justify their costs, so I persevered and found a box for it. Shipping is expensive enough that I prefer to scavenge materials for packaging. YMMV
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Blog Entries

It's not a secret, but a lot of folks don't realize that shipping cost for (acoustic) mandolins or guitars is usually determined by the volume of the box, not its weight. Get or make a box that is as small as possible but still provides for adequate protection. And when the shipping person measures, he or she always rounds UP to the next whole number. An extra inch in any dimension can be expensive.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Blog Entries

All very helpful. I've never done reverb for selling only buying.

You might see if there are options locally. Such as jams, festivals or contacting music teachers (you may want to offer some $ a sale occurs) and letting them know what you have available.

I've done well with certain pieces on Mandolin Cafe and am happy to donate. I have done well locally with facebook marketplace and some of the other fb selling sites. I'm often approached by friends and acquaintances to sell for them. I take 15%, sometimes less depending. I have used a 32" flatscreen box cut down a little for shipping mandolins. Luckily I have a guitar store close by to get guitar boxes.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Quote Originally Posted by NursingDaBlues View Post
    Reverb sells shipping boxes; without looking at their site, I believe they’re $35 for a pack of three.
    That's super useful info. Thanks. REVERB PAGE HERE
    Better prices than I've seen on Amazon.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

So what's the average cost to ship? I know it varies but a ball park figure with and without a hard case?
    "It doesn't matter how much you invest in your instrument until you invest in you and your ability..."

Kentucky KM-150
    Eastman MD-404
    Eastman MD-305
    Morgan Monroe MFM-300 (passed on to a new player)
    Rover RM-75

B381..... That would also depend on where you're shipping it to.... Hard to average across all of North America. Add up the 3 dimensions of the box, weigh it & then call the post office or courier with a zip code...
    Overnight? 2 Day delivery? 5 business days? Are you buying insurance, or do you have it insured already?

Quote Originally Posted by HonketyHank View Post
    It's not a secret, but a lot of folks don't realize that shipping cost for (acoustic) mandolins or guitars is usually determined by the volume of the box, not its weight. Get or make a box that is as small as possible but still provides for adequate protection. And when the shipping person measures, he or she always rounds UP to the next whole number. An extra inch in any dimension can be expensive.
    YES, with case wrap and tape bubble wrap around case. then take a big piece of cardboard to wrap and tape around case or cut down a box that is close to the right size.
    1989/2019 Ike Bacon/Barry Kratzer F5
    1945 Levin 330
    192? Bruno (Oscar Schmidt) banjo-mandolin
    early Eastwood Mandostang
    2005 Tacoma CB-10 acoustic bass guitar
    Fender Tweed Deluxe clone

Read through the shipping rules on the UPS site (or Fedex or USPS). I know UPS requires certain packing materials in order to collect on insurance claims in the event of damage. If you file a damage claim and they feel that the packing materials are inadequate they will deny the claim.

That said, you might be able to get a box from Dream Guitars, which I believe is in Weaverville.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

If you're on Facebook there is a group called "Irish Tenor Banjo Marketplace" - set up by a pal of mine, so it's not scammy or spammy!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

I've only sold from the cafe classifieds, everything has sold relatively quick.
    Musicians Workshop is on merrimon Ave in asheville, they sell many different instruments and should have a correct size box, I assume they would give you one.
    https://musiciansworkshop.com/

From the Forum posting guidelines:

- Refrain from using the forum as a point of purchasing or selling items or for the purpose of discussing or linking to items you are selling. Please limit selling and buying activities to the Classifieds section of this web site or other external locations.

If I were going to sell a instrument I would use 2 or 3 , Cafe, Reverb, ebay.
    MAS Fund.......Up and running again

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

I've had no problem selling, only use Cafe Classifieds, eBay & Facebook. All three get results, sometimes only one or the other, for quick sales. Key is to make a video that can include showing & playing the instrument as well as a few sales points about the instrument. Be willing to adjust price or negotiate when necessary. Good luck!
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

I get my shipping boxes for guitars from this outfit:

About $40 for a pack of 5 boxes, for example.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

I have found ver good success making my own shipping boxes. I go to a local Appliance store and pick up a Refrigerator box. It is thicker than many.
    I look over the way a retail available box is made, and cut the cardboard to match the shape of the instrument case. I make sure to first wrap the case in bubble wrap. The wrap the whole thing similar to how you would wrap a present/gift.
    Hope it goes well for you!
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!

If you are not planning on doing buying and selling on a regular basis.....

A factor being hinted at is the nuisance, specifically the possibility of shipping damage and filing an insurance claim. Also, just the nuisance of dealing with "picky" customers who "like" to return instruments for no good reason -- yes, they exist.....

After the third return (and refund) on the same instrument, you'll probably wish you had sold it to a store and let them "earn" their profit....