Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Place to Sell aside From Classifieds

Default Re: Best Place to Sell aside From Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Adams View Post
    I get my shipping boxes for guitars from this outfit:

About $40 for a pack of 5 boxes, for example.
    I didn't know ULine had those, thanks.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    I...Also, just the nuisance of dealing with "picky" customers who "like" to return instruments for no good reason -- yes, they exist.....
    I pretty much stopped selling on eBay when they changed the Feedback rules so they were one way. After my second Feedback hostage situation I decided it wasn't worth it anymore
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

the problem with Uline is that the boxes might be $40, but the shipping will add to the cost. It costs me about $60 to get five boxes. Still not bad, and if you ship in a new box, you avoid some of the claims hassle if something goes south during shipment.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

These are the Reverb boxes I was thinking of. Sold by Reverb. Three boxes for $35 with free shipping in the continental U.S.

https://reverb.com/item/92938-3-pack...its-most-sizes

Between Uline and Reverb, don't know who would have the better quality.

Also some packing and shipping information from Reverb:

https://reverb.com/news/how-to-ship-a-guitar
    Last edited by NursingDaBlues; May-31-2019 at 3:39pm. Reason: Added some packing/shipping info.

Re: Shipping costs....

Average $50. Zone one Postal done online (cost more at counter), as low as $10 without insurance... A larger box that is billed via dimensions and then add insurance, rural delivery charge and signature... It could be $100.

Mandolin sized boxes are somewhat rare, but with a large box and a knife, you are good to go!

With or without a case makes little diffence in shipping cost.

The Cafe classified are excellent... No reason not to list here first.

If a shop will sell for only 20% comission, you will probably come out ahead.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

I sold the Newson custom SCW on consignment via Gruhn's, having checked in with another well-known shop. It was their advice to either do it myself via Reverb, or thru George.

I found that it worked well for me. The instrument was tended to so it would be player-perfect when sold; no come-backs for anything as far as the instrument's condition. Gruhn's took their 20%. The instrument sold in a couple months and the end of the day, I did not have to worry about anything. Would I have loved to have kept the 20%? Sure. Was I happier to get a check without hassles? Absolutely. Would I have had the same interest to go this route if it was a less valuable mandolin? Probably not. Since you're already heading up to Nashville, IMO it is worth the stop at Gruhns or Carters and hear what they have to say.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

Quote Originally Posted by B381 View Post
    So what's the average cost to ship? I know it varies but a ball park figure with and without a hard case?
    I just shipped a mandolin from Minneapolis, MN to Bellingham, WA USPS Overnight insured for $5K (maximum available). $175. UPS or FedEx will be more. If you are willing to expose it to longer times in other's hands, it will be less.

Jim
    Jim Nikora