Thread: Lateral Upgrade?

Default Lateral Upgrade?

Howdy,

I have a Kentucky KM950 that I got used at a good price before the increases and enjoy. It sounds a lot better than my Loar LM220, but I like the feel of the Loar a bit better - I think I like a thicker V neck because their other dimensions are basically the same.

I play a combination of bluegrass, old time and celtic with my wife on her violin or in a mixed group of 5-8. I can't say the Kentucky plays very loud though - my friends' Eastmans tend to drown me out on both chops and melody, not to mention the fiddles.

I'm gazing at the classifieds and search the forum and thinking about a used Ratliff Country Boy or Silver Angel, which can be had for <$1500 used, or a Collings MT, which can be had for about $2000 on a lucky day and wondering how they'd compare.

Are they all in the same ballpark of build quality? Of tone? Of volume? Of different sound?

Is this a lateral diversification instead of an upgrade? I know that's not usually recommended.

I don't live anywhere where I could play them and it would take me years to do so on coincidental vacations.

Thanks.

Default Re: Lateral Upgrade?

I'm surprised that you say your friends' Eastmans drown you out. I've not played a Kentucky KM950 but comments on this site have led me to think that the Kentucky Master Models would be superior to any of the Eastmans. That made me wonder about factors such as string choice, pick choice, and technique. All can affect the volume you get out of any particular mandolin. Additionally, your position (behind your mandolin) might give you a false sense of volume compared to the other instruments.

Ratliff, Silver Angel, and the Collings MT's definitely have a good rep, so I'm not saying that you shouldn't consider one!
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

Any of those are going to be an upgrade. Kentuckys have been getting better over time, but an older one might not be as good as the newer ones. I have never played a Country Boy, but have played many MTs and own a Silverangel. When I compared my SA with an MT, they both put out the same volume, but the SA is a very deep and resonant mandolin, where a Collings is brighter and may cut in a jam better. Either would shred any Eastman I've ever played.

Have you considered that sitting across from you, your Kentucky might sound louder to them?

Both the Collings and the SA have rather thin necks compared to the Webers I've played. I would love to get my hands on a Country Boy.

If I want to be heard I take the Arches kit, then have to back off some. Loud sucker.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I took my Kentucky 900 down to the local store a couple years ago and compared to Collings, Northfields etc and I can say the Collings and the particular Northfields they had that day were a step up in tonal quality. The earlier Northfield A models don't come up for resale very often but they would be in your price ballpark. As far as neck profiles, you can ask sellers to give ou the fingerboard width and neck depth at nut and 5th fret, hopefully they'll do the latter accurately or maybe the builder can send you the profile, something like https://www.banjohangout.org/archive/334989
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    Have you considered that sitting across from you, your Kentucky might sound louder to them?
    If the group is small enough, it's easy to ask someone to switch instruments for a while - assuming you've established that you're not an ape who's gonna damage theirs. The different perspective on both can be most enlightening.

(And, for whatever reason, hearing mine from across the room always gets me grinning!)
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Well …. Kentucky mandolins are generally better built and have better tone than a The Loar instrument. IMO …. Eastman and Kentucky mandolins have a decided difference in tone. The Eastman sounding more Collings or Weber like and the Kentucky more Gibson like. Also you are sitting behind your Kentucky and in front of that Eastman. One thing to do for the volume of your instrument is to purchase a Tone-guard. It holds the back of the mandolin away from your body and allows free vibration of the instrument body making for a louder volume. A heavy pick will also increase the volume. Lastly am medium set of strings .115 -.40 set will make a slight difference in driving the top of a mandolin.
    Kentucky mandolins did have a period where the fit and finish and materials were less that optimum. With those coming out of the factory no that is not the case. Your 950 is likely as good as it gets in that price range..... Have you checked out Rob Meldrum's free download here on the Cafe'. Your set up may need a "little love" .
    Lastly .... fiddles drown everybody out that isn't playing a piccolo...… R/
    https://sites.google.com/site/thetonegard/Home
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

This seems like a fabulous deal. I was a tad tempted, but I'm just a one mandolin kind of guy.
    Mitch Russell

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

I would agree with the consensus that any of these instruments is an upgrade, but they are all very different animals.

I own an SA and have played 2 others besides mine, and Ken's mandolins all favor the darker/warmer spectrum of the tonal scope and mine proved to be boatloads louder than my Eastman (Ken Ratcliff is the builder of Silverangel mandolins btw... just so we don't go down any weird tangents). His instruments are usually intentionally distressed to some degree, and in my opinion are outstanding for their price. Fit and finish may be a little rough around the edges, but it is in keeping with the distressed look.

I have played a few Collings mandolins and what my friend told is true "... if you can't afford a Collings, don't play one, because you'll want to buy a Collings... " They are indeed very nice and there is a reason they cost what they do. Tonally, they favor the midrange and fit and finish is polished and pretty, they are really impeccably made. Though it's been my experience with them that some project less volume than others. But they are consistently rated very highly among many and there is a good reason for that.

I have never had my hands on a Ratliff, but they look and sound to be very high quality and based on what Audey puts on YouTube they sound midrangey to my ears. Ratliff was highly recommend to me by a trusted source who gave him high marks for quality and consistency.

I looked at all 3 of these when I went to upgrade from my Eastman, and I made a concerted effort to play each before I made my decision. I had to work hard to save up for what I was going to buy and I wanted to be certain I was going to be happy with it, and I am Uber pleased with my SA. I couldn't help but smile when Ken sent me a video of himself playing my Econo A along with the words "This has to be the best sounding Mandolin I've ever made..." ... I know he may say that to everyone who custom orders an instrument but I like to believe it's true... cuz it's awesome... But you may want something different than I like, so do your best to try before you buy!
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by soliver View Post
    ... sent me a video of himself playing my Econo A along with the words "This has to be the best sounding Mandolin I've ever made..." ... I know he may say that to everyone who custom orders ...
    In my experience, most artists, particularly of the musical variety, whether players or builders, DO believe that their most recent effort is their best to date, the culmination of everything they've learned & experienced up to that point. And WE are all the better off for it!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EdHanrahan For This Useful Post:

I've never played an Eastman or a Silver Angel (I live in a mandolin desert,) but I own a Collings, they are pretty bright (compared to my Pava and Weber) but it is right up there in quality with the Pava and Weber, and I have no reason to believe you wouldn't love one. I certainly do.