Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kel Kroydon KK20. Early 30s

Default Kel Kroydon KK20. Early 30s

Sadly, a pickguard has been glued on. Otherwise, it is all original with a decent hard case.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-193...emCondition=10

2. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

Default Re: Kel Kroydon KK20. Early 30s

Yes, normally they had a painted on pickguard. I never understood the purpose of that. Why bother, right? Purely "aesthetic". Still it is a Gibson and a cool chapter since Kel Kroyden was also applied to a line of wooden toys they sold during the Great Depression in order to stay afloat financially. Here is what it would look like if there wasn't that added pearloid pickguard.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t0dnu0a5viq0y6d12o6c.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	177055
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I played one of these owned by a forum member and it was the loudest mandolin I've ever heard. Unbalanced, the bass was merely loud whereas the treble was incredibly loud. It seemed to negate everything I thought I knew about mandolin design.
    1989/2019 Ike Bacon/Barry Kratzer F5
    1945 Levin 330
    192? Bruno (Oscar Schmidt) banjo-mandolin
    early Eastwood Mandostang
    2005 Tacoma CB-10 acoustic bass guitar
    Fender Tweed Deluxe clone

At that price you can probably get into a carved top Gibson product with a few bumps. These weren't built to be great instruments they were built to be cheap instruments. They were sold along with a line of wooden toys Gibson was selling trying to stay alive during the early days of the depression.

The later Gibson second lines (like the Kalamazoo's)were an attempt to sell a cheaper but still decent instrument outside the normal Gibson dealer network. That's why they didn't put a truss rod in the second lines.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    ...Purely "aesthetic"...
    Totally and really no different than painted on binding on other brands
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

In his book, Paul Fox mentions there is "no pickguard." and the photo confirms this. He also states that: "All of the Kel Kroydon instruments are highly sought after by collectors, as they are considered to be some of the best instruments that Gibson ever produced. In fact, they are also fairly rare and difficult to find in good condition." So, this is a rare bird, it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    In his book, Paul Fox mentions there is "no pickguard." and the photo confirms this. He also states that: "All of the Kel Kroydon instruments are highly sought after by collectors, as they are considered to be some of the best instruments that Gibson ever produced. In fact, they are also fairly rare and difficult to find in good condition." So, this is a rare bird, it seems.
    They come up from time to time as do the guitars and the occasional banjo. I don't rate them as high as Paul but YMMV.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Hey, Boys and Girls: here are some of the Kel Kroydon toys (along with a Kalamazoo Playthings Company ad):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1721.JPG 
Views:	168 
Size:	428.8 KB 
ID:	177067   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KAL002-PeterRabbit.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	130.6 KB 
ID:	177068   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KAL003-RunningRabbitWagon.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	177069  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kroydon.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	177070   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MIS33.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	314.7 KB 
ID:	177071  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Ya want rare how about my 1937 Gibson "Cromwell" G-6, the original F-style lump scroll/Gumby! I heard only 7 were made and know of only 4? It actually sounds pretty good for what it is, all real wood but heat pressed I believe, with some heavy bracing on top and back! with a bridge that may have about a pound to it! Ok maybe not a pound but its huge! Its on my to do list to fit a smaller one someday and I think it will make a huge difference! I'm a fan of all those Depression era budget brands-they are a good bang for the buck!

The Evilbay OP may just have the Mother of toilet seat glued over the original painted on guard as a whole the mando looks clean but way too much $ for that one!

12. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

I probably have seen a photo of yours. If so, it will be in my files. Or you can post some if you like.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by William Smith View Post
    Ya want rare how about my 1937 Gibson "Cromwell" G-6, the original F-style lump scroll/Gumby! I heard only 7 were made and know of only 4? It actually sounds pretty good for what it is, all real wood but heat pressed I believe, with some heavy bracing on top and back! with a bridge that may have about a pound to it! Ok maybe not a pound but its huge! Its on my to do list to fit a smaller one someday and I think it will make a huge difference! I'm a fan of all those Depression era budget brands-they are a good bang for the buck!

The Evilbay OP may just have the Mother of toilet seat glued over the original painted on guard as a whole the mando looks clean but way too much $ for that one!
    And here is the first thread ever where one surfaced.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Blog Entries

I remember them posts Mike, Mine wasn't the evilbay one, Mine has all original hardware and is pretty nice,Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ndoyxcekndv98x06enuz.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	177076

16. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

Blog Entries

Here is a back shot, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cgvnwv0plz58ftklx4si.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	177077

18. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

I remember when you got yours.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

20. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

That's a design only a mother could love. I am always attracted to instruments that are a bit oddballish.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

22. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Blog Entries

I love the so called ugly, "gorgeous to me!" unloved models myself, beat up with repairs etc..-the one that eludes me mainly because the prices are too high on the two I know of are the 1934 Gibson F-10's! I offered 11 or 12G for the one at Retrofret in 2011-12 and well she still sits unloved! And I'd lay a big bet that they don't sell it for another 7 years at that price! Who put out the book all about Gibson "depression era budget brands?"

I tell ya who has some really sweet depression era oddballs here on the café adds quite a bit is Bob Page! NFI but if you want depression era oddities! I love the Gibson A-Century mandolin, I had one but sold that and a bunch when my wife and I were getting our house!

24. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

Paul Fox wrote the book - "The Other Brands of Gibson". Have one on my shelf.

Owned a couple of the Kalamazoo flat tops over the years. One sounded really good, other just okay. Sort of have the itch for one of the pressed top models. But just haven't bothered as am satisfied with my current number of mandolins. (Okay, have too many, but that's another issue)

Useless trivia - the first Kalamazoo KG-11 guitar I owned had a "Made by Gibson USA" stamp on the back of the headstock. So was probably sold outside the US initially.

As to the KK in the post - yeah, price might be a bit high. But only because A models that aren't mint really seem to be slipping in value. I know because that's how I got my 1910 A. Lots of work done, but cheap for a good sounding instrument.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

26. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    Useless trivia - the first Kalamazoo KG-11 guitar I owned had a "Made by Gibson USA" stamp on the back of the headstock. So was probably sold outside the US initially.
    Yes indeed, the only reason to mark Made in the USA on that instrument would have been to identify the country of origin for an instrument that was built for export.

The "Made by Gibson" part was cachet.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

28. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

I love the so called ugly, "gorgeous to me!" unloved models myself, beat up with repairs etc..-the one that eludes me mainly because the prices are too high on the two I know of are the 1934 Gibson F-10's! I offered 11 or 12G for the one at Retrofret in 2011-12 and well she still sits unloved! And I'd lay a big bet that they don't sell it for another 7 years at that price!
    I played that F-10 at RetroFret for quite a while one time. It surprised me at how nice it sounded even with the odd placement of the bridge.

I owned a 1930's A-1 many years ago but traded it for my first decent violin bow.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

30. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Blog Entries

I played that F-10 at RetroFret for quite a while one time. It surprised me at how nice it sounded even with the odd placement of the bridge.

I owned a 1930's A-1 many years ago but traded it for my first decent violin bow.
    Sweet Jim! I really would like that F-10 but until they have a realistic price I don't think so! I love those short neck F's with F-holes from the depression. I got rid of two F-7 conversions but still have an original F-7 and a 1935 F-12 so I'd like an F-10? Ya have to complete the set right?

Sweet Jim! I really would like that F-10 but until they have a realistic price I don't think so! I love those short neck F's with F-holes from the depression. I got rid of two F-7 conversions but still have an original F-7 and a 1935 F-12 so I'd like an F-10? Ya have to complete the set right?
    I just PMed you rather the derail this thread.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

33. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

I just PMed you rather the derail this thread.
    Wait, this isn't normal!

This forum runs on thread drift.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I love thread drifts Mike! Ya'll should show photos of your Gibson "Budget" depression era brands like my Cromwell above? I'd love to see more oddities?

Well, as long as we are drifting, here's one I wish I hadn't sold. It wasn't built by Gibson I know that but beyond that I haven't a clue as to who did build it. And you all thought John Dempsey built the first one.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

38. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Blog Entries

That's almost pre-"DUCK" style Mike, Very nice, I know how it is, I've gotten rid of a bunch I wish I would've kept! A ton of those 20's-40's mandolins are great little tone machines! I gave my Dad a 40's F-hole Harmony sunburst A and he redid it and wow what a nice mandolin. He left the original finish alone, I don't have pix but you see them on evilbay a bunch, they are nice looking and with some work they're pretty sweet! I think the # inside was 417? So I'm not up on Harmony stuff so not sure if that's the model?