Thread: Need some help please.

Default Need some help please.

New guy here. I have an old Martin Mandolin 2-15 that I acquired from a debt owed. I have been given advice on value from local folks that say they know what they are talking about. Not sure they are even close. I even listed it here for a few days then thought the amount was way too high so I deleted it.

So I wanted to come to the experts here.

The mandolin sounds great and plays nice and is in good shape for its age.
    I've been a guitar player for years and know how to play a little.

So Im seeking advice here. I dont need to make a mint off this mandolin. Just a fair deal and move it fairly quickly without just dumping it. I know the Martin's arent as popular as the Gibson but still have some value.

So here are the specs.
    1954 Martin 2-15.
    Good shape, hard shell case( not original)
    I don't see any repairs or cracks.

Can you give me some advice on a fair price and where Inshould list it?
    Is here a good start?

Thanks in advance for any help you van give a newbie.

Here is a pic.

upload image

Default Re: Need some help please.

You do not see many of these for sale. Here is one from a few years ago:

https://reverb.com/item/1127315-1948...-2-15-mandolin

Many feel that Reverb is expensive and not representative of a true market price. This example is for sale right now at $1200: http://www.vintagemandolin.com/54martin2-15_21702.html

You could advertise it on this site or sell it through ebay.
    Last edited by NickR; May-28-2019 at 4:17am.

===========

As a casual observer of such things . . . off the top of my head, I would say that a 'reasonable' price for the 2-15 (based on your description) would be somewhere in the $900-1,000 range. In my book, they are definitely cool mandolins - but unfortunately, just about the only 20th century Martin mandolins that seem to command significant prices are the Style-20 models.

Good luck.

p.s. - Your user name REALLY caught my attention . . . 1977 MusicMan basses are VERY cool instruments!

Yours looks to be in better shape than most. The non original case is an issue because they don’t fit well in cases other than the original. It’s pretty common to see these sell for 900-1000 just like Al says. But they are never fast sellers. Despite the Martin name and reputation for quality, they just don’t have the cache’ of Gibson.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

FYI I just looked it up in the Vintage Guitar Price Guide 2014 (newest I have; I’m due to get a new one). It says a 2-15 in excellent condition retails for $1350-$1650, but I have to say I have NEVER seen one go for that, or even seen one at an asking price anything like that. If you want to see realistic prices, take a look at eBay or Reverb previously sold. They pop up from time to time on Guitar Center’s used site and usually come in at 900-1100. By the way, according to the VG guide, age is irrelevant to value for this model, unlike many others. The Martin flattop mandolins, for example, have 3 different “eras” with three different value ranges.

Guitar Center used site has a 1942 right now, in much rougher condition than yours (lots of scratches) and its original hard case (a plus but it’s in rough shape) listed at 1299. But like Mama used to say, askin’ ain’t gettin’. I predict they will have to reduce that at least 200 or 300 dollars before it sells. Maybe more. Like I said, condition is an issue on that one.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Unfortunately Martin mandolins in the mandolin world are not what martin guitars are in the guitar world. If you get anywhere near $1000.00 for that instrument do a happy dance. They are well built as all Martin products used to be but they just don't have the cachet that other mandolin brands have. That strap button on the tail isn't original. There wasn't one originally.

This site has a classifieds section.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Thanks for all the responses, I appreciate it.
    I can now be more realistic with a fair starting price.
    I'm gonna move it so someone will get a very good deal.

@MikeVito - I love my Stingray. Was an 8th grade graduation gift. Been playing it ever since.

Thanks for your help. I listed it here in the classifieds. I hope the price is fair and will take care of the debt owed.

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    FYI I just looked it up in the Vintage Guitar Price Guide 2014 (newest I have; I’m due to get a new one). It says a 2-15 in excellent condition retails for $1350-$1650, but I have to say I have NEVER seen one go for that, or even seen one at an asking price anything like that.
    I usually get a baseline from VG Price Guide—I do have the 2019 edition. However, I use it more for guitars. The mandolin section is woefully inadequate. Much better to look on eBay and Reverb and some of the bigger vintage dealers but also to bear in mind that listed prices are not always the same as selling prices.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1