Thread: Really need some help identifying

2TonCommon
    The Land of Copious and Unrelenting Gnats

Default Really need some help identifying

Hi everyone.
    This may seem like a trivial situation, but it means a ton to me. Due to a case of MAS, I became engrossed in a Morgan Monroe MMS-4 "Phantom of the Opry" model. Here's the pickle - they were only made during the early Made in Korea years as a limited edition, yet, I've seen identical f styles - color and inlay patterns plus upgraded Ashton-Bailey tailpieces on more current China models; the BIG difference being the Korean models had serial numbers starting with a 1 followed by a 0 ie; 10519 and another 10104. And here's what seems to be the big give-away - the 2 aforementioned examples had truss rod covers that actually had engraved PHANTOM OF THE OPRY on them. The later ones just had ROCKY TOP engraved on them DESPITE being described as the Phantom model. This may sound very trivial to most of you, but some of the "Original" Phantoms were made with Sycamore back and sides. I apologise for wasting your important time, but for some reason this is driving me over-the-edge. I always want the real-deal when it comes to instruments. If anyone has any thoughts, I would be eternally thankful.
    Best wishes,
    Joe
    "Of all the harm that ere' I've done,
    Alas, it was to none but me."

Goodnight and Joy be to you all!

Default Re: Really need some help identifying

I'm not quite sure why you're obsessed with the Sycamore back and sides vs Maple. From the description I've seen at
    https://www.folkmusician.com/product...-phantom-mms-4
    The Chinese made version had carved solid top. And listed the back as solid (without the "carved" part) meaning that the back was likely pressed solid wood, which is commonly less desirable. However, Sycamore is not a common mandolin wood, so no telling how it affects the sound. I'm not finding a description of the sycamore back, so no idea if pressed or carved.
    Additionally, Morgan Monroe is not known for particularly high quality mandolins. So while the look of the instrument might be enticing to you, I'm not sure either version is worth getting too excited about.
    There are other black top mandolins, if that's what you like, that would likely be far superior. Keep an eye open for a used Kentucky KM-1000B. Or a new Eastman MD415-BK with carved mahogany back and sides, an carved spruce top with black finish, and case for $800.
    Either of these would likely be much better sounding mandolins.
    Or even better, this JBovier F5Z with solid carved Zebrawood back and sides and black solid carved spruce top for $850 https://mandolins.ecrater.com/p/2225...st-z-model-850
    Last edited by stevojack665; May-27-2019 at 11:41pm.

3. The following members say thank you to stevojack665 for this post:

2TonCommon
    The Land of Copious and Unrelenting Gnats

Hey stevojack665 thanks for the in-depth info. Just got word from the company that indeed the MMS-4w had sycamore back and sides. Whether American or European - didn't say. It was very nice of them to respond with a courteous response. Classy folks!
    Quote Originally Posted by stevojack665 View Post
    I'm not quite sure why you're obsessed with the Sycamore back and sides vs Maple. From the description I've seen at
    https://www.folkmusician.com/product...-phantom-mms-4
    The Chinese made version had carved solid top. And listed the back as solid (without the "carved" part) meaning that the back was likely pressed solid wood, which is commonly less desirable. However, Sycamore is not a common mandolin wood, so no telling how it affects the sound. I'm not finding a description of the sycamore back, so no idea if pressed or carved.
    Additionally, Morgan Monroe is not known for particularly high quality mandolins. So while the look of the instrument might be enticing to you, I'm not sure either version is worth getting too excited about.
    There are other black top mandolins, if that's what you like, that would likely be far superior. Keep an eye open for a used Kentucky KM-1000B. Or a new Eastman MD415-BK with carved mahogany back and sides, an carved spruce top with black finish, and case for $800.
    Either of these would likely be much better sounding mandolins.
    Or even better, this JBovier F5Z with solid carved Zebrawood back and sides and black solid carved spruce top for $850 https://mandolins.ecrater.com/p/2225...st-z-model-850
    "Of all the harm that ere' I've done,
    Alas, it was to none but me."

Goodnight and Joy be to you all!

Quote Originally Posted by 2TonCommon View Post
    Hey stevojack665 thanks for the in-depth info. Just got word from the company that indeed the MMS-4w had sycamore back and sides. Whether American or European - didn't say. It was very nice of them to respond with a courteous response. Classy folks!
    Sure thing! If you find one and buy it, let us know how it goes.

I agree that the reps from Morgan Monroe are great to work with! I was interested in a MM-MC100 Mandocello from them and could not find one for sale. I guess they made a very limited number of them. I contacted their customer service number and spoke to someone named Rob who said he'd put out a message to their dealers to see if anyone still had one in stock. A few weeks later I got a call from one of their shops that had one! When it got here, it was in need of a setup and fret leveling, and had a few loose frets. It is a really nice instrument, but it needed a lot of work to get it playable the way I want it.
    Super pleased with the support from them to find one for me though!
    Best, Stevo

6. The following members say thank you to stevojack665 for this post: