Thread: Fretbars on a Tatterbug

Default Fretbars on a Tatterbug

I have an Ibanez bowlback (Tatterbug) mandolin on which several frets have fret wear...grooves where the strings have worn through. This affects playability because I get buzz.
    I am considering clamping the fretboard on both sides of the fretbar and driving the fretbar out with a drive pin. Also supporting the side of the fretboard so it doesnt chip.
    The fretbars are normally heated and pulled out vertically with pliers using a plate so the fretboard doesnt tear out.
    But the fretbars on a bowlback are too flat to get a decent grip to pull vertically.
    So it seems driving them horizontally may be the only option.
    I was thinking I would remove 4 bars from the soundhole end of the fretboard as replacement. These have had no use so are virtually new.
    Then I would grind the area they were in to a nice sculpted curve to make the area look OK.
    Does this sound reasonable?
    Any other way of fixing the fretbar grooves?

Default Re: Fretbars on a Tatterbug

People refret bowlbacks all the time using proper tools. You might investigate specific fret pulling pliers from places like Stewmac.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

3. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

>Does this sound reasonable?

Nope, not really

Pull them out properly, and there's every chance you'll be able to either:

* turn them up the other way and reinsert then level and dress, or
    * put them back in so they stick up a little more, then level and dress.

And yes, they can be a real bug bear to get out sometimes if they're worn right down to the wood. In extremis:

* make sure all the gunk down the side of the fret is scraped away - sometimes build up of muck here is all it takes to stop you from getting a grip.
    * Keep trying - if you can't get hold of one end, try the other, if that doesn't work try the center, there's usually something you can get hold of.
    * Use one of those tiny miniature screwdrivers and carefully tap it in from the side - once the end of the fret has popped up you should be able to get hold of it the proper way.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tavy For This Useful Post:

Teacher, repair person

Driving the frets out sideways is a bad idea.
    I assume this mandolin has standard T-frets.

If you are having difficulty, it may be better to cease and desist until you can watch an experienced person pull stubborn frets.

On instruments that have frets that are hard to get under with the standard fret pulling tool, I will sometimes use a small X-acto chisel to get under the crown near one end, and lift the end far enough so I can slide my puller into the gap. I keep a soldering iron on the fret while I do this. Use extreme care so you do not slip and a] carve a gouge in the fingerboard, b] carve a gash in a finger.

Visit frets.com for good guidance on refretting an instrument.
    Fret wire is available in a variety of sizes from Stew-mac, LMI, and many other sources.

7. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

Thanks for the advice. Will do more investigating. Only get one chance to get it right!