Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How much does a Northfield actually cost to make?

Adrian Minarovic

Default Re: How much does a Northfield actually cost to make?

How much does a Northfield actually cost to make?
    We have no idea is the simple answer. We don't know the costs of their material inputs cost of their overhead salaries how many they are actually making etc.., we know nothing relevant, just the basic stuff.
    I was once asked by a player why do I charge almost twice what other local maker does... I answered that I don't know what he (he is my friend) charges ar how he manages to pay for his expenses but I charge as much as I need to be able to go on building, I may not be the fastest or most efficient worker and sometimes spend hours at tiny detail working strictly by hand where someone else may use CNC or fixture to make it faster. And the time costs money.
    The last thing I told him was to try out as many instruments as he can and decide after that ... Later he came back and ordered one from me, never again talking about pricing.
    Adrian

2. The following members say thank you to HoGo for this post:

Reminds me of something my girlfriend said when talking about the cost of a hair appointment with her. You aren't paying for the $5 in hair color or the hour or takes her to put it on. You're also paying for the years that she spent going to school and learning new techniques, etc.

I am curious what the raw material cost of a decent mandolin is, but I know that's a small fraction of the value.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

4. The following members say thank you to Drew Egerton for this post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Woods View Post
    . Plus I’m striking up some straight up medium gage strings this weekend
    Northfield is marketing its own custom set of strings now:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/140455#140455
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Egerton View Post
    I am curious what the raw material cost of a decent mandolin is, but I know that's a small fraction of the value.
    I recently read one luthier's note that he takes a $750 deposit for a mandolin build. He said that about covered the cost of the materials for that mandolin.
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

7. The following members say thank you to Doug Brock for this post:

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    Northfield is marketing its own custom set of strings now:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/140455#140455
    So GHS A270s ??
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Brock View Post
    I recently read one luthier's note that he takes a $750 deposit for a mandolin build. He said that about covered the cost of the materials for that mandolin.
    Certainly $750 would buy the finest wood plus decent hardware. I used to think that then charging $6000 for the mandolin was boardering on robbery. Then I built one. Even starting with a kit, and then figuring someone with experience could build one in half the time, and even not paying a cent for the knowledge they have acquired, I cannot fathom how anyone can earn a living. I am betting on repair work and setups for doing that.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post:

Other useful thread topics:

What's the difference between a duck?

Is it hotter in the summer, or in the city?

When you get answers, please post...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

As others here have already said, it’s not just about the cost of the materials (wood, wires, inlays, tuners, etc). It’s also about paying for the time, the experience, the artistry (both visible and audible), the R&D, the tools, the staff, the power, heating, lights, etc.

I bought an Artist Series Variation 1 (5 bar) that I received in late March this year after being in the "que" for 4 months. It's everything I want in a custom mandolin... and it will only get better with playing it.

As it is with a fine automobile or any other higher end product, everyone has their particular reasons for going with a particular brand. I like the collaboration that Northfield has with their Chinese partners (and they are truly partners). By the way, tell me an automobile manufacturer that makes all their components in country.

I also like the fact that Northfield consults with some of the finest players on the planet in trying out new and different ideas - hey not all of those ideas work so it costs money to try and fail... but the next iteration gets closer and then they produce the new F5...sweet!

Northfield actively puts money into R&D and it continually pays off with a succession of well built, well crafted instruments. I love how they keep pushing and tweaking the envelope. And I believe those of us that can afford to buy new (whether it's a Collins, Gilchrist, Nugget, etc.), we are helping to support the efforts of mandolin making - because if it's a good idea, you know it will get copied by others in some way - that's how capitalism works whether we like it or not. As an older player who has some disposable income, I'm happy to be a part of that effort. I think it helps float all boats (or mandolins, in this case).

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I was playing an F5S last time I was in Gryphon and thinking to myself the maple wasn't very flamey. Then I slapped myself silly, realizing the money was spent giving the consumer first class sound and playability for a pretty decent price. For that alone they should be applauded. Start adding all the I wish items and you end up with a Big Mon.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Some mention of starting with a kit, then realizing the knowledge that goes into anything done well, which means experience, which means hours and hours of previous practice. Then comes the knowledge needed to mill the wood from scratch. Etc. Etc. Please don't forget the amount of money it takes to invest in the equipment and overhead of a shop necessary to do all this. This is true of Northfield. Even more so for a small builder who does it all with zero to a couple employees.

16. The following members say thank you to Dale Ludewig for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    I was playing an F5S last time I was in Gryphon and thinking to myself the maple wasn't very flamey. Then I slapped myself silly, realizing the money was spent giving the consumer first class sound and playability for a pretty decent price. For that alone they should be applauded. Start adding all the I wish items and you end up with a Big Mon.
    I think those F5S’ are one of the best values around.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

18. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by bigskygirl View Post
    I think those F5S’ are one of the best values around.
    agreed!

The Eastman 315 on the lower end and the F5S in the midrange are the two that stand out for me, with honorable mention to the Km 150 and the KM 900.Hard for me to think value at the $5,000 level, but I'm open for suggestions. I guess the Big Mon is a lot of bang for buck.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Glassweb View Post
    agreed!
    Agreed! (see avatar...)

I was down at Dusty Strings in Seattle today checking out a new Big Mon that they just put out on display. At $4,500 I can't think of another production F-style, pro-level mandolin that can touch it. Seriously. One of my mandolin students just bought a black-top Big Mon from Banjo Ben Clarke at my recommendation and I got to spend some time with it yesterday. Gorgeous, brilliant, set up to a "T" and comes shipped in a new Recurve case. A ridiculous amount of value for the money. I urge all of you "Northfield Curious" out there to check out their current offerings. No matter how much they cost Northfield to make I can guarantee you they are sinking their earnings right back into their product production and development.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Glassweb For This Useful Post:

The short answer, its 47.035% of MSRP, subject to tariff surcharges.

What are you going to do with that bit of information?
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A