Thread: Having Fun Beating A Dead Mandolin - Real Puzzler!

2TonCommon
    The Land of Copious and Unrelenting Gnats

Default Having Fun Beating A Dead Mandolin - Real Puzzler!

Yep, Me again! Hi everyone, hope all is well. Not to "beat a dead horse",but hear's beating a dead horse. My current MAS interest is a MMS-4 Phantom but one that has the SYCAMORE back, not maple. So, I took some info for you mando-detectives and hope you can ferret this out. The back of the instrument says at the top: MMS-4; under which is S/No 10519. Further down on the neck says the ubiquitous "Made In Korea". Curiously on the truss rod plate is engraved "Phantom Of The Opry. Some models say "Rocky Top". If it's worth the undertaking could someone finagle this one out for me please? Thanks a million as always.
    Warmest regards,
    Joe
    "Of all the harm that ere' I've done,
    Alas, it was to none but me."

Goodnight and Joy be to you all!

Default Re: Having Fun Beating A Dead Mandolin - Real Puzzler!

Not sure about that particular model but I can help with the wood. The term “sycamore”, as used in the USA, refers to a tree in the Genus Platanus. The wood is very similar in appearance to maple, but is softer, having a Janka hardness rating of 770 ( as opposed to over 1000 for most maple species). To add to the confusion, in Europe the term ‘“sycamore” is used to refer to a true maple, Acer pseudoplatanus. That tree’s wood is Janka 1050, and is often used for violins, violas, cellos, and basses. So it’s difficult to say whether that wood is from a tree in the Platanus or Acer genus, or in simple terms a true versus a false maple. The terminology is confusing at best, deceptive at worst. And a visual inspection tells the average person nothing. Perhaps a wood expert with a 10x magnifier could find something he could hang his hat on regarding identification. If I were buying an instrument, I would not be ok with Platanus. Too soft in my opinion.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

3. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

2TonCommon
    The Land of Copious and Unrelenting Gnats

Default Re: Having Fun Beating A Dead Mandolin - Real Puzzler!

Outstanding! Exactly what I expected from the good folks here. You're a certified genius(and a nice guy). Thank you very, very much!
    Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    Not sure about that particular model but I can help with the wood. The term “sycamore”, as used in the USA, refers to a tree in the Genus Platanus. The wood is very similar in appearance to maple, but is softer, having a Janka hardness rating of 770 ( as opposed to over 1000 for most maple species). To add to the confusion, in Europe the term ‘“sycamore” is used to refer to a true maple, Acer pseudoplatanus. That tree’s wood is Janka 1050, and is often used for violins, violas, cellos, and basses. So it’s difficult to say whether that wood is from a tree in the Platanus or Acer genus, or in simple terms a true versus a false maple. The terminology is confusing at best, deceptive at worst. And a visual inspection tells the average person nothing. Perhaps a wood expert with a 10x magnifier could find something he could hang his hat on regarding identification. If I were buying an instrument, I would not be ok with Platanus. Too soft in my opinion.
    "Of all the harm that ere' I've done,
    Alas, it was to none but me."

Goodnight and Joy be to you all!