Thread: picking a first bouzouki

Default picking a first bouzouki

Hey guys, so I play a bit of mandolin because my mother owns one, but I've been wanting to ger my hands on a bouzouki for awhile now. I'm only 17 so I can't buy anything too expensive but on the other hand, there's a lot of trad music in my area- jams, junkets, and dances almost every weekend so I know I will get a lot of use out of it and want it to have a good tone. I could get a gold tone bz-500, or a trinity college tm-375. I also have the option of getting a gold tone om-800 or a red valley mb bouzouki. I was just wondering which of these would be the best option considering both sound and price, if any of you guys have had a chance to play any of these models. Thanks!
    Last edited by May Young; May-25-2019 at 1:54pm.

Default Re: picking a first bouzouki

I am not all that experienced with most of these models, but I've often seen the Trinity College recommended as the best lower end zouk. I have played one in the past, and it was quite nice for the price, just make sure to get it set up correctly. Another suggestion would be to look at local luthiers. I don't know how many people do this, but I bought my OM from a luthier in my state, and it seems that some lesser-known luthiers will make you an instrument for quite a reasonable price. Good luck!
    Gabe

Thank you! The day after I posted that I had an offer from a local musician who is selling a flatiron. It's quite a nice instrument, but he's really excited about young bouzouki players and wants to sell it to me with a bit of a discount. It's currently being set up by a luthier who is also a friend of mine but when he's done with it it's mine. I'm really excited to start playing!

Yes!!! Excellent first (and possibly life long) Zouk!!
    Chuck

Perfect! I’ve had mine since new.
    " Practice every time you get a chance." - Bill Monroe

I have a flatiron mandolin and I love it. Good choice.

great!! good to know I will not regret my choice. thank you all!