Thread: quick question about a stew mac straight truss rod

Default quick question about a stew mac straight truss rod

this is the rod with a barrel at the heel end. should the top of the barrel be level with the neck? ,I have Siminoffs book and am milling one drawing and it is the o detail of the neck/ rod thanks
    Mike Marrs

Default Re: quick question about a stew mac straight truss rod

My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

3. The following members say thank you to John Bertotti for this post:

Damn can of worms subject. Being new to mandolins but having built quite a few guitar necks, can someone post a picture of this "Siminoff" trussrod concept that folks mention. The last trussrod post enlightened me to a number of alien mandolin trussrod strategies. ...they are just weird to me.

The barrel should be in a 90 degree relationship to what ever the angle of the rod is at the location of the barrel.

Haven't looked at this for a while. Also includes the 7/8" deep at the nut neck without the fingerboard. Only 1/4" too much. You can see where I penciled in a more realistic profile.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sim rod.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	153.9 KB 
ID:	177010  

6. The following members say thank you to Jim Hilburn for this post:

Jim, Is that the general idea of a Siminoff style? That would be what I'd recognize as a conventional single action trussrod. I've employed this idea on many guitar and bass necks with two different methods. I constructed a router jig to create the curved depth and I've also simply cut a straight slot using a table saw and inserted a 3/16" strip of wood carved to create the curve. Both have a 3/16" strip glued in place on top of the trussrod. In both methods, the slot is cut while the neck is still a squared block of wood. Using a jig to establish the curved bottom with a router was temperamental -- in the end successful -- but I've abandoned the process in favor of the expedience of using a table saw and a straight slot. With the straight slot, I have the option of using a conventional single action or even employ a dual action trussrod.

The picture seems to show a decreasing radius toward the heel which is opposition to my intuition. I tend to want more trussrod effect on the lower section of the neck toward the nut so if I were to have a changing radius of the trussrod, it would be reduced on the other end but in practice, I use a constant radius.

Wrnch, the low in the middle trussrod design was patented by Leo Fender. I'm not sure what Gibson does now but the curved rod anchored low in the tail was what they used on early guitars.
    But to me a Strat neck ain't no mando neck and your looking at 2 different problems.

Although I have opinions, I'm always trying to be open to learning. I certainly have had failures following my intuition and I have minimal experience with acoustic mandolins. Its sometimes difficult to convey the appropriate level of ignorance/humility while at the same time challenging an idea to get an in-depth response. For me, a trussrod exists only to check and compensate for the pull of the strings. Does a mandolin maker view this differently? Is there a concept of the trussrod adjusting neck angle and relief at the same time?

I think HoGo has a good explanation in post 8 of the link I posted above.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

11. The following members say thank you to John Bertotti for this post: