Thread: Another successful nut job

Default Another successful nut job

Edit: just skip to the pic, you'll get the idea. :-)

Turns out cutting a new nut for a 4-string is a lot less work than an 8 string, 1.5 hrs vs 5 for the first time I did one.

The Eastwood Warren Ellis Mandostang (4-string electric) is the latest victim.

It came with a nut 1/16 narrower than the fretboard, and the strings were arranged to use 1/8 less than the nut. So a neck that could take a 1 3/16" nut, had a 1 1/8 nut, and was cut like a 1". Go figure there, I guess that means with some nut work you can have whatever you want on this guy, and it comes narrow.

I can see how some people would like narrow, it felt good in some ways, but I was having to work to get used to it, my pick sometimes went too far, I was struggling as I played.

Then I played a few classical arpeggiation etudes, and the dreaded adjacent string muting problem was there, so it needed a wider string spacing for my playing style, just like the Eastman MD604 did.

So it got a 1 1/8" nut with wider string spacing. For extra fun I put just a hair (1/64) more space between the G and A. I find that helps because its harder to keep your fingers vertical when reaching across the fretboard, so this takes the strain off reaching for the G without muting the D. I like making an instrument work for you instead of the other way around. It's funny how small adjustments like that make a difference you can feel. It reduces playing effort, everything just feels more natural.

Now it feels like my other good mandolin (the MD604), I like that. My speed is way up. The 4 string is faster than my 8-string, that seems right somehow.

I used to think I liked wider nuts, but I really don't. 1 1/8" is more than enough, even an Eastman 1 3/32 is fine, it's the string spacing that matters.

I am definitely loving this whole mando thing, and the gear-head in me seems to have found a way to make this obsession even more fun.

Here is the link to the MD604 nut job:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...cing-a-success

And here is a pic of the Mandostang with the old nut resting on top so you can see the difference:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190524_223002_small.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	142.5 KB 
ID:	176969  
    Last edited by kurth83; May-25-2019 at 1:11am.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

2. The following members say thank you to kurth83 for this post:

Default Re: Another successful nut job

Excellent thread title.

Default Re: Another successful nut job

Quote Originally Posted by Louise NM View Post
    Excellent thread title.
    I thought the same thing!!