Thread: Wearing a watch and RH anchor

Default Wearing a watch and RH anchor

I'm left handed, and wear my watch on my right wrist, but play mandolin (and everything else, really) right handed. I'm doing the Mike Marshall lessons through Artist Works, and he's mentioned I need to get my right wrist/heel anchored better, but the watch seems to be messing with things.

Anyone else out there that wears a watch on their right wrist have any thoughts, or am I going to have to just lose track of time while I'm playing?
    Eastman MD305, American Conservatory bowlback
    Martin D-15, Goya (Levin) G-10
    Bevy of high whistles, and a Howard Low D
    GoldTone MicroBass Fretless (when the wife lets me steal it!)

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Default Re: Wearing a watch and RH anchor

Quote Originally Posted by ceejengine View Post
    Anyone else out there that wears a watch on their right wrist have any thoughts, or am I going to have to just lose track of time while I'm playing?
    Of course not. Put the watch on your left wrist.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Or you can get a pocket watch ... do you wear the watch with the face on the top of your wrist or on the underside? If it's on the underside, you can try flipping it to the top of your wrist while you play. Or put it in your pocket or case.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

I'll admit there's a bit of first-world-problems going on here... it's an Apple Watch, face out, so not only does it feel strange on the other wrist, but my right hand has NO idea how to work it. Maybe I just need to keep concentrating on where my forearm/wrist are, and not worry about it

It seems to me the watch probably isn't the problem. I lightly anchor on the bridge with the fleshy part of the heel of my palm as Mike recommends. The heel should of your palm should be far enough away from a watch band to prevent contact. Unless the watch is prevent side to side movement in your wrist, it shouldn't cause an issue.

So I, too, am left handed, and I wear a wristwatch on my right hand, as do you. I lightly touch the heel of my right hand to the corner of the bridge saddle while flatpicking, by way of anchoring it. This is a fairly standard position for flatpicking the mandolin. However, I experience no hindrance whatsoever with either the watch or watchband, which are located well behind the bridge -- and up in the air -- when my heel is resting on the saddle as an anchorpoint. I therefore am wondering why you have a problem. Perhaps you hold your arm and hand too flat against the mandolin, so that your wrist (and watchband?) touches the strings behind the bridge? It shouldn't! If so, elevate your right arm a bit and flex your wrist slightly, and you should be in a better position.

Like Sblock, I wear a watch on my right wrist. I very, very lightly graze the heel of my hand along the strings just beyond the bridge (toward the tail) and have no problems whatever. Actually, the watch isn't even all that close anything. With my wrist relatively straight and the strings slanted any toward the bridge, my wrist is high enough for it not to be a problem.

How about if you added an arm rest? Might that move your arm just enough higher to help?
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

I also wear an Apple Watch on my right wrist because I am left-handed...

I use this little trick: every show right before I play I leave my watch in my case when I take my mandolin out

Works great, and no constraint or weight on my right wrist
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

I'm right handed and wear my watch on my right also. I get why RHs wear watches on the left but I always disliked it. So I remove my watch when playing and use a pocket watch during performances, usually have it out where i can see it if needed. I also remove my 47 year old wedding ring that just bugs me when playing. Always amazed by people that can play all jeweled up...

Whenever I wear a wrist watch,I find myself constantly staring at it,,so I use either a pocket watch or my phone...

Thanks for all the helpful replies- sounds like I need to make double-plus sure my anchor is right (I feel like I'm almost muting the G course with the heel of my hand, under my thumb, under the bridge when the melody is on the A or E courses), and if it's still bugging me, the watch needs to go in my pocket

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frankdolin View Post
    I also remove my 47 year old wedding ring that just bugs me when playing. Always amazed by people that can play all jeweled up...
    My guitar has a fairly wide neck, I have to remove my wedding ring to play without it clinking against the edge of the neck.

Heck, I have started to try to mostly empty my pockets before gigs - anything to keep my focus on playing and my bandmates. Little things can add up.
    Collings MT2
    Breedlove OF
    Ellie eMando
    Schmergl Devastator

Take it off!
    I used to carry a pocket watch, still do now and then, I use an “O” size hunting case as a pick vault, it’s a “higher degree of elegance” as a friend of long standing used to say. But, if you are making music take the thing off, what business is it of the digital community what the action of analog music playing is? I’m pretty sure None of the digital world genius billionaires really give a hoot.
    Music or being “tracked” really? That’s just silly.
    I think manual wound, or “automatic” spring powered watches are as high tech as I will ever get. My life is not that electronically dependent. $20.00 flip phone and an iPad is about as “wired” as I give a damn about. Vacation? I go to McDonald’s for a signal every few days. We are becoming too dependent on being monitored. Music, especially mandolin, is an escape from the everyday world, enjoy that!
    Take the thing off!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

14. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by T.D.Nydn View Post
    Whenever I wear a wrist watch,I find myself constantly staring at it,,so I use either a pocket watch or my phone...
    My late brother said one time that “A pocket watch is a friend, a wristwatch is a relative.” One, you see and it’s pleasant, the other is simply nagging.
    That’s kind of the way I see the whole synchronized digital “need”! I’m doing my best to avoid any more tracking than absolutely necessary, aside from this and, one other forum of course.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

16. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

I wear my watch on my right wrist with no problem. Just make sure you disable your step counter while you're playing. I learned that one the hard way. :P