Thread: Waverly tuners

Default Waverly tuners

A few years ago I bought a fairly nice F style mandola (the story is here someplace) that I have thus far enjoyed. Being an equipment geek I always wanted to upgrade the tuners and tailpiece. The problem was that the tuners installed were worm over tuners and there hasn't been a whole lot available in the last few years. Yes, you can get Rubner's when they are available. I did but couldn't get past the black stems. I have managed to hoard a set of worm over Gold Schallers with real MOP buttons, a set of nickel Schallers, and a set of Gotoh nickel tuners. I even managed to get pearl buttons for the Gotoh's and changed out the Phillips head screws for slot head screws. All good fun but I was always looking for a set of Worm over Waverly tuners. I could never bring myself to take off the no-name brand tuners that were on the mandola so they've never been changed and I'll note I never had any tuning problems caused by the tuners. My ears are another story.

Worm over Waverly tuners are something that Stewmac (the manufacturer) won't even admit to being available. I seem to recall that they were available years ago but maybe that's just my old mind playing tricks on me. Sam Bush has a set on his Gibson. Sam Bush is even one of the players Stewmac quotes as using them and loving them. In the past few months we've had a set that showed up here and I learned of another set for sale elsewhere. I managed to buy one of the two, fulfilling my illogical desire to own a pair.

I say illogical because to be quite honest I'm not sure why I want to own Waverly tuners. I have them on my F5G. I installed them a while back after buying that set used as well. They are great tuners but I'm not sure if they are 6 times more expensive than most tuners better. It doesn't matter I have always wanted them and now I have a set for both of my F style instruments. Conspicuous consumption.

I've just started cleaning up the new set and thought I'd compare them physically to some of the other tuners over the next few days. If you've ever wondered what they looked like up close here it is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Backs.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	315.1 KB 
ID:	178328   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FrontAndSide.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	354.9 KB 
ID:	178327   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CompareWormOverandUnder.jpg.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	338.0 KB 
ID:	178326  

"It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

2. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Default Re: Waverly tuners

The first thing that is obvious when comparing the worm over to the worm under is that the engraving on the worm under is a bit more complex. As I don't know the age of either set I can't call one new and one old. The picture of both sets side by side gives you an idea of the difference between the stem placement of the worm over vs worm under.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

The plates on the Waverly tuners appear to be machined out of some sort of billet. I don't think they are cast. I'm not an expert on that sort of thing but I suspect that is what I'm looking at. Your typical Gotoh tuners have a stamped steel plate. In the past thre has been talk by some that the Gotoh's have the same screw spacing on the plates as the Waverly tuners making them a candidate for drop in replacement. They're close but the top screw, at least on these two examples, is slightly higher on the Gotoh. Either way the plate should cover the hole in either case. I should note that I'm a fan of Gotoh tuners. They are well built, smooth and inexpensive and I appreciate the fact that they don't simply put the worm under gear in a worm over position. I know they offer it as an option but they are aware that there is a difference.

Again, the screws on the Gotoh's have been swapped out to replace the Phillips head with slot head for a more traditional appearance.

Name:	WaverlyAndGotoh.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	883.6 KB 
ID:	178329   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WaverlyAndGotoh2.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	651.7 KB 
ID:	178330  
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Very Cool.

Please excuse me while I make note (for future reference) that for the tuners to turn in the "correct" direction, the worm grooves must point:

to the North East for worm over tuners and

to the North West for worm under tuners.

Carry on.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phil Goodson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post
    Very Cool.

Please excuse me while I make note (for future reference) that for the tuners to turn in the "correct" direction, the worm grooves must point:

to the North East for worm over tuners and

to the North West for worm under tuners.

Carry on.
    Yup, that is correct. Here they are with the buttons on them. The stems on the worm gear are much shorter than the Gotoh's and I'm assuming will be about the same next to the older Schaller tuners.

Name:	WithButtons.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	603.5 KB 
ID:	178332  
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

There’s really nothing in between. I have some mandolins with Golden Age, some with Gotoh, some with Rubners. The Rubners are good. But I’ve not seen many F style sets for sale. I like the Alessi tuners but haven’t seen any available here in the States.

My Duff has an older set of Schallers, which are quite nice, but these are not the same quality as the new ones. So, after spending $5k to $10k on a mandolin, I think $500 on tuners is reasonable. There’s nothing worse than fighting both the humidity and your tuners at a session or a gig. Playing fiddle also adds perspective because the first time you plunk down $90 for a set of strings, and $1k on a bow, reality sets in.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandobar For This Useful Post:

This shows the Waverly tuners next to the older Schaller worm over tuners. Note again that even though the post spacing is the same the mounting holes are not and the difference in the length of the stem attached to the worm gear. The Schaller tuners were/are closer to the Gotoh's in that department. I don't have a regular set of Grover's here but I suspect the length is probably closer to the Waverly tuners. I also have no idea how they compare to the new Schaller tuners. I have yet to see a set of new Schaller worm over tuners. By the way, the older Schaller plates appear to be cast in some fashion.

Name:	WaverlySchaller 1.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	682.3 KB 
ID:	178333   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WaverlySchaller 2.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	686.0 KB 
ID:	178334  
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Jul-17-2019 at 9:41pm.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post

I say illogical because to be quite honest I'm not sure why I want to own Waverly tuners. I have them on my F5G. I installed them a while back after buying that set used as well. They are great tuners but I'm not sure if they are 6 times more expensive than most tuners better. It doesn't matter I have always wanted them and now I have a set for both of my F style instruments.
    The heart wants what the heart wants, no need to understand why. Congratulations on getting them. I hope they give you pleasure. Thanks for the useful information!
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

12. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    There’s really nothing in between. I have some mandolins with Golden Age, some with Gotoh, some with Rubners. The Rubners are good. But I’ve not seen many F style sets for sale. I like the Alessi tuners but haven’t seen any available here in the States.

My Duff has an older set of Schallers, which are quite nice, but these are not the same quality as the new ones. So, after spending $5k to $10k on a mandolin, I think $500 on tuners is reasonable. There’s nothing worse than fighting both the humidity and your tuners at a session or a gig. Playing fiddle also adds perspective because the first time you plunk down $90 for a set of strings, and $1k on a bow, reality sets in.
    I had a set of Rubners and they looked great with the exception of all the black finish. I just couldn't get past that on a personal level. They actually looked right for a late 20's through 30's F style tuner. Well, that and the fastener they used to hold the button. I now know you can replace that with an available screw.

Yeah, I never realized what fiddle players go through until recently. I thought the mandolin players were the only crazies.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

OK, here we have the Rubners I no longer own next to a set of circa 1930's Gibson tuners, not going to guess at the make as I don't have a good track record today. Obviously they aren't exactly the same. Both Worm over.

Name:	30sGibsonTuners.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	178335   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RubnerWormOver.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	514.3 KB 
ID:	178336  
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

I'll note that if you're willing to put up with the tuners tightening the opposite way of what I consider normal you have other options. The gold set of Schallers started life as a set that turned the wrong way in Worm under configuration. The Gibson Grovers could be turned around and if you have the right tools I'm assuming you could turn a set of Waverly tuners around as well. Some people don't have a problem with that. I do. I'm not very good at change I guess.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Thanks for sharing Mike! I’ll tuck this away in my bible of amazing mandolin tuner facts

Nicolo Alessi can also make you a nice set of tuning machines in any configuration you can dream up, like the snakewood buttons and hand engraved plates for this 1927....

Name:	Alessi 27 F4 2.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	151.4 KB 
ID:	178338   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alessi 27 F4 3.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	169.7 KB 
ID:	178339  

I remember you posting something about these sometime in the past. I can't tell from the picture, does turning the button counter clockwise turn the post counter clockwise? They definitely look good.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

If anyone wants to see some comparisons of the Gibson Grover tuners with Waverly tuners I posted this thread back when I switched the tuners on my F5G.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

I've started the switch over on my Mandola. The top buttons are closer than I'd like them to be but they turn unhindered. I decided to see how the worm under tuners were positioned on the early 20's H5's. It looks like the bottom button got a little close in the worm under configuration. It works and they fit.

I will have to heal a few screw holes and redrill.

Name:	WormOverWaverlyMandola.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	178590  
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Blog Entries

Hey Mike your worm under are hand engraved older Waverly-the back plates are narrower, the worm over are newer post 2010 and CNC'd engraving-not by hand, the back plates are wider. I had an engraved older set around 2004 that wore out I sent them back and got a CNC'd set and was a bit upset as the hand engraved were obviously nicer quality but the cnc set was more precision and worked better I found?

OK, so the worm over are newer. I did notice the difference, I'll have to do some measuring. So far the only thing I've had to swap out on this install was one bushing. It had been a little chewed up by I had an extra set of Waverly bushings so that's good.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Blog Entries

The CNC's are still nice with more precision but nothing like those older hand engraved plates! But they sure weren't built as well in the late 90's early 2000's with the hand engraving but heck mine on my two 20's F-5's are still going strong! So back in the 20's like about everything else American made was built with some serious pride!

Blog Entries

Well pretty soon as I was told by a very reliable/trustworthy/honest luthier friend on the phone a few days ago that Stew-Mac will be within the year be making "Not sure if its Waverly or the Golden Age brand-nothing wrong with Golden Age, mighty fine tuners!" The late 20's-30's bump end worm over gear plain and engraved pearl button for period F4's-through the F-5's! I guess mine and a bunch of peoples constant nagging will pay off!" I email them every month about this and probably have for well over a year! FUNNY!

They have the same plates "Waverly-Golden Age", bump end, plain and engraved for guitars of that pre-war period! As I've said and others have said there is nothing period correct for the old Gibson's that looks authentic-and good luck finding a used-spare set that someone will part with! I'm very excited about this as many upon many Gibson's I've seen need the original type tuning machines!

It was also mentioned to me that the Kluson brand will be doing this as well, because again certain Gibson's had those in the pre-war years, and say on a 30's early 40's F-5, Gibson used the gold plated pearl buttoned sets on a few F-5's-My mid 30's Fern F-5 has a set and it seems that they are even rarer on a 5 than the engraved worm over gear pearl button Waverly's! So that's exciting as well to this mando geek! Finally perfect repro sets are in the works-I just hope they all follow through with this talk!

I've seen so many old Gibson's be it 30's F-2's, 4's, 7's, up to the F-5 that are missing their original tuners-this will no doubt to me be great repro products, I've mentioned to David Harvey at Gibson wouldn't it be nice if they had these for all their 30's remake F-5's and he agrees! It sure would be more "authentic" looking instead of the Grover tuners or whatever Gibson uses for all those F-5's that aren't the MM's-as they use Waverly for those! It also would be nice if they went back with the hand engraved plates but the precision of the CNC done plates! So maybe this here message will make another or multiple mando geeks morning? I've been thrilled since I heard the word and conformation on all this-now I'll pray they will follow through!

Exclamation Re: Waverly tuners

One issue I found (had Ebony knob A type) peghead hole drilling has to be spot on.

Force fitting them in a miss spaced head stock damaged the tuners. *

Reverting to a lesser precision machined tuner tolerated the situation better,

and for years, has proven quite adequate..

*Stewmac repair-replaced them..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

These tuner holes were spot on (I was actually a little surprised). The tuner bushings that were there fit like a glove and I considered leaving them but figured that I had paid the money for the Stewmac reamer for my last set, I might as well use it. I do need to call Stewmac tomorrow to see if I can buy a bushing as I had to pull one of them out of an extra set I had laying around.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Today I had a nice conversation with Stewmac's customer service people showing the worm over Waverly tuners and asking that if they decide to make them again I would like the top worm gear shafts to be about 1/4 inch longer. If that ever does happen I intend to take credit for it.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

I have Waverly's on several mandolins but I'm a Rubner fan now ! Great tuners !

I just wanted to give a shout out to Stewmac. I needed one bushing for a set of Waverly tuners. They don't sell them so they sent me one free. That's the second time they've come through for me.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber